• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks the Batsmen

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey what number do we stop at and are we always going to go up in increments of one?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Recycled.
I really like the fact that you are propagating Grace's case. I dont do it most of the time because I find it more convenient to stick to 20th century and beyond to have slightly more uniform conditions, batting and bowling having evolved to a great degree to where we see it today and most of all, better knowledge of the players of the time through word of mouth as well as the written word.

Not that I think Grace and Spofforth should be devalued but just to take an easy option and also avoid getting into completely pointless arguments :)

Having said that, if I had proposed Grace's name, I would never propose Lara in the same breath , not from the very beginning as you have been doing and certainly not above the old man.

Why ?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My judgment is clearly questionable but you can't accuse me of being inconsistent

1. WG
2. Herbert Sutcliffe

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
At this point

1. Grace : 13
  2. Richards : 12
  3. Hammond : 7
  4. Lara : 4
  5. Chappell : 2
  6. Hutton : 1
  7. Sutcliffe : 1
What a fabulous contest between a white Victorian rotund man with a Santa Claus beard and a grandfatherly look and a schoolboy's mischievous disposition who put together the orthodox game as it was played after him and A black tall muscular man with rippling muscles, chewing gum and an arrogance that announced to the opposition " I am going to demolish you" and then proceeded to do just that with an unorthodox bent of mind that completely disregarded anything the coaches might have told him.

Last edited: