• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

bagapath

International Captain
Strike rates in Test cricket are highly misleading. There are so many factors at play that it would be folly to It is easier to maintain a higher SR in a team with a great batting and bowling lineup than in a team with poorer batting or bowling lineups. One has to look no further than Tendulkar for that. His SR is as good as it has ever been in his career and the stronger team he now plays in affords him that freedom. Also, one can almost guarantee that Sehwag wouldn't be striking at 78 if he didn't have Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman to follow. He'd have to bat much more 'responsibly' or get dropped in the name of recklessness. Does Gambhir deserve to be penalised because his career SR fell an entire 3 points over the course of a single test match recently?
i agree. but no one so far, other than Viv Richards, has played more than 100 tests, averaged above 50 and maintained a SR of 70. there must be something in it.

Migara

International Coach
No, i don't think longevity is relevant when picking players. I'll take who's better, not who's been around for longer.

You can do things differently if you wish.
On other hand I would pick the layer who can last there for a long time and have a good rapport with the other players by doing that, not flash in pan wonders.

Migara

International Coach
my uncle is nowhere near international standard in his cricketing skills but his on and off-field behavior is impeccable. in fact, it is so much better than the rest of the world that the deficiencies in his batting and bowling could very easily be compensated by his good behavior. i think he should be called the greatest ODI cricketer of all-time.
Sorry, that statement looks stupid.

Migara

International Coach
Some people were saying Richards was miles better than Jayasuriya, which is laughable. Most of Jayasuriaya's great work in his youth is not on film, and many have not witnessed them as well. In his entire career of 18 years at maximum he might have dropped five catches. That will tell a story. There were atleast two compatriots of Jayasuriya in mid 90's who were wih best fieldsmen of the era with Jonty, Arthurton, Ponting and Harris. Jayasuriya was not far behind. He is CRMINALLY underrated as a fielder. (Usually no one here thinks Mahanama was better than Mark Waugh, but in fact he was. It's a pity that many have not seen him)

bagapath

International Captain
Sorry, that statement looks stupid.
yeah? how about the claim that sanath jayauriya's better on and off field behavior is an important element in making him a stronger candidate for the title of all time great ODI cricketer? if that is true then my uncle deserves a shot at the title too.

bagapath

International Captain
mahanama was an awesome fielder. sanath was a good fielder. but the difference in batting skills between him and viv is enormous. sanath is a better bowler than richards but an inferior fielder. in fact, the superiority sanath can gain over viv with his bowling can be nullified by viv's fielding skills alone. even if you disagree with that, the difference in their batting is enough to put viv miles ahead of sanath in the race.

Migara

International Coach
yeah? how about the claim that sanath jayauriya's better on and off field behavior is an important element in making him a stronger candidate for the title of all time great ODI cricketer? if that is true then my uncle deserves a shot at the title too.
Don't you want your greatest cricketer to be a role model for the kids and ambassador to your country? You want a drug cheat to be your country's ambassador? Or a match-fixer? Or a big bully who always bad mouths others? Can you tell your child to be like so and so if their conduct is bad? That's why I value on and off field behavior as an essential part of measuring the greatness of a cricketer.

BTW, your uncle does not come in to the equation, because he has not played cricket. We are speaking about cricketers and your uncle does not come under the scope.

Migara

International Coach
mahanama was an awesome fielder. sanath was a good fielder. but the difference in batting skills between him and viv is enormous. sanath is a better bowler than richards but an inferior fielder. in fact, the superiority sanath can gain over viv with his bowling can be nullified by viv's fielding skills alone. even if you disagree with that, the difference in their batting is enough to put viv miles ahead of sanath in the race.
You are entitle dto your opinion, but my criteria for greatness includes not only bowling, batting, fielding but captaincy and behavior as well.

funnygirl

State Regular
Don't you want your greatest cricketer to be a role model for the kids and ambassador to your country? You want a drug cheat to be your country's ambassador? Or a match-fixer? Or a big bully who always bad mouths others? Can you tell your child to be like so and so if their conduct is bad? That's why I value on and off field behavior as an essential part of measuring the greatness of a cricketer.

BTW, your uncle does not come in to the equation, because he has not played cricket. We are speaking about cricketers and your uncle does not come under the scope.
What about Gilchrist then ?

ret

International Debutant
In terms of captaincy and all-round abilities, I would rate him as someone similar to Imran Khan, who had a great impact as a captain and was a good all-rounder .... But this combination of skills, didn't make Imran the greatest ODI cricketer and nor will that make Dhoni one

It's either Richards or Tendulkar, from how one forms his/her opinion

bagapath

International Captain

neither richard or tendulkar were drug cheats or match fixers. they were not always bad mouthing others either. they played the game the way it should be played and they were bloody good at it. no1. and no.2 of all time in ODI cricket. outside the ground, i dont know whether they are involved in charities and whether they help abandoned animals. it doesnt matter to me.

Migara

International Coach
neither richard or tendulkar were drug cheats or match fixers.
Did I say so?
they were not always bad mouthing others either. they played the game the way it should be played and they were bloody good at it. no1. and no.2 of all time in ODI cricket.
Richards would have been losing a heck of a lot of his match fee if he was paying today with his bad conduct. Of course, Tendulkar is near perfect in that sense.

outside the ground, i dont know whether they are involved in charities and whether they help abandoned animals. it doesnt matter to me.
Neither am I.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If my son was looking upto Akram for anything else except his bowling then I am going to beat the hell out of him. Sanath is a great player but his name shouldn't even be on the page with Sir IVA Richards. It is such a ridiculous comparison.

You can value on and off the field behaviour as much as you want, but when it comes to measuring the greatness of a cricketer, a player's cricketing skills and achievements are the criteria most people are going to use. Nelson Mandela won Nobel prize for peace, doesn't mean he is the greatest cricketer ever.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Richards would have been losing a heck of a lot of his match fee if he was paying today with his bad conduct.
What Nonsense !!

Also, wasn't it Sanath as captain of SL team who was suspended for his behavior ? Not to forget the recent incident in Toronto, Canada where he was found showing 'finger' to the crowd and before you go on denial, here is the proof :-

Now I look for justifications for such an impeccable record.

Or may be now you don't want to talk about behavior and would like to focus on their cricketing achievements..or even better go on start attacking me.

Migara

International Coach
What Nonsense !!

Also, wasn't it Sanath as captain of SL team who was suspended for his behavior ? Not to forget the recent incident in Toronto, Canada where he was found showing 'finger' to the crowd and before you go on denial, here is the proof :-

Now I look for justifications for such an impeccable record.

Or may be now you don't want to talk about behavior and would like to focus on their cricketing achievements..or even better go on start attacking me.
First Sanath was never reprimanded by a referee, except for slow over-rate on few occasions. Secondly Doesn't seems to be showing the finger. It's more like he inquiring something. The photo was published by tamil diaspora to get what ever support for their losing struggle by tarnishing SL. And you see, the site is also "tamileelam" blah blah. If you want to see some one showing the finger, this is how to do it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
If my son was looking upto Akram for anything else except his bowling then I am going to beat the hell out of him. Sanath is a great player but his name shouldn't even be on the page with Sir IVA Richards. It is such a ridiculous comparison.

You can value on and off the field behaviour as much as you want, but when it comes to measuring the greatness of a cricketer, a player's cricketing skills and achievements are the criteria most people are going to use. Nelson Mandela won Nobel prize for peace, doesn't mean he is the greatest cricketer ever.
Don't you love his booty shaking with Sush:dry:

analyst

U19 12th Man
What a very immature almost thoughtless thread, Dhoni's rise has been incredible but to call him the greatest ODI cricketer of all time is like calling Graeme Smith the greatest South African of all time without considering everyone. The end of a career defines a cricketer, not the start and certainly not the middle. Very good hero worshiping though, don't let any tell you otherwise.

PS: You clearly never watched Sachin or Viv or Sanath or Aravinda, Dean Jones, Shall I really go on.

martin88

Banned
There is no way Dhoni can be called the greatest ODI player for his own nation, let alone the world Ajit Agarkar rulz.