• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aye, but surely being able to put in consistent performances over a huge period is a skill in itself?
Yeah, but once it gets to the stage where you're comparing someone who's played 400 times to someone who's played 150 times they're both pretty reasonable bets to perform. In any case, i wouldn't say the longevity factor makes up the difference between averaging 49 and averaging 32, whatever qualifications you choose to give those stats.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
my uncle is nowhere near international standard in his cricketing skills but his on and off-field behavior is impeccable. in fact, it is so much better than the rest of the world that the deficiencies in his batting and bowling could very easily be compensated by his good behavior. i think he should be called the greatest ODI cricketer of all-time.
:laugh::laugh:

But even your uncle cant beat my 84 year old sweet heart of a mom :)

Last edited:

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Your comments does not make sense at all. The only thing Sachin is better than Sanath is batting, and batting alone. Every other aspect of the game Sanath is ahead. We are speaking of ODI players, not batsman. Even if you compare with Richards, still Jayasuriya is a better bowler, captain and better on and off field behavior, Fielding they are more or less the same.
I think that would be an opinion shared by you alone in this whole world.
In bowling they were probably pretty similar, but in fielding you comparing favourably Sanath, who is a good solid fielder, to Viv who was simply phenomenol in the field. In fact he was a better fielder than he was batsman (and that is saying something). Of all the players I've seen in the field I'd rate Viv only slightly below Roger Harper, and ahead of Symonds.
To think that Santh was a better fielder, betrays you as omeone who never saw the great Viv field. He was a match winner in that capacity alone.
:)

bagapath

International Captain
In bowling they were probably pretty similar, but in fielding you comparing favourably Sanath, who is a good solid fielder, to Viv who was simply phenomenol in the field. In fact he was a better fielder than he was batsman (and that is saying something). Of all the players I've seen in the field I'd rate Viv only slightly below Roger Harper, and ahead of Symonds.
To think that Santh was a better fielder, betrays you as omeone who never saw the great Viv field. He was a match winner in that capacity alone.
i agree viv was in a different league as a fielder. sanath is not even in the same province.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
i cannot treat dhoni as greatest ODI cricketer..
his carrier centuries are just 3 one against Pakistan(148) in Vizag(INDIA),2nd against srilanka (183*) at Jaipur(INDIA),another vs africaXI in Afro-Asia cup (139*) at chennai(INDIA).
If u look at the venues all are INDIAN venues....he is still to prove as ODI player since he had'nt made a century till now,he is touring many countries as team India player since 4 years or so...but had'nt fullfilled the slot of centuries in outside home soil.
/strong first post.wc

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
i agree viv was in a different league as a fielder. sanath is not even in the same province.

I was not lucky enough to have known much about cricket during the King's career... Can you guys post some more about his fielding? I am genuinely curious about it...

Where did he field usually? And what was he more proficient at? Catching or great stops? Did he ever field close in like short leg or something? And how good was his arm?

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I was not lucky enough to have known much about cricket during the King's career... Can you guys post some more about his fielding? I am genuinely curious about it...

Where did he field usually? And what was he more proficient at? Catching or great stops? Did he ever field close in like short leg or something? And how good was his arm?
where to start.

great speed and pickup, as good as anyone.

dead eye, very fast throws. Go for a run at your own peril. Probably the best run out merchant ever.

Very good at catching, but as its really hard to impress standing in the slips (which he usually did, especially in the latter half of his career) I guess what really sticks in my mind is his fielding at cover/mid-wicket.

bagapath

International Captain
you should see his famous run outs from the point position in the 1975 WC final. it must be on youtube.

i remember viv standing in the point/cover region or at the mid wicket during the middle phases of the test innings and in most of the ODI games. usually he would start in the slips and eventually move to the outfield when the ball is slightly older and the batsmen are settled. dont remember seeing him in the close catching positions.

richards' pick up and sharp throws were legendary. that muscular body bending to cut and pick up speeding balls was quite a sight. it would be followed by a flashy throw hardly inches above the stumps to the correct end in case of a run out chance or safely into jeff dujon's gloves. his eye sight, his source of strength as a batsman, was his biggest ally in the field as well. it came in handy in judging the direction and swing of the ball and made him the reliable catcher that he was. even in the slips he was among the very best in his side (clive lloyd was a super fielder as well) with those big hands pouching catches on either side, sometimes preceded by elaborate dives. all these acts of heroics would be followed by a nonchalant high-five to his fellow conspirators with his jaw working on that chewing gum non-stop. in terms of effectiveness and style he is among the top 10 fielders i have ever seen. ian chappell considers him to be the best all-round fielder of all time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
thanks a lot bagapath and T_G.. :)

so wonderful to hear first hand accounts of how good the players of the past were...

I have a question here in that case.. Given that Lara or Tendulkar or Ponting are not THAT much better than Viv and given a middle order of Sobers, Bradman and G Pollock with one slot left.. Would you guys then go for Viv because not only is he more intimidating but also he adds more on the field than the others (perhaps Ponting will be close, given that he himself is an awesome fielder)...

Would that be a right line of thinking?

bagapath

International Captain
thanks a lot bagapath and T_G.. :)

so wonderful to hear first hand accounts of how good the players of the past were...

I have a question here in that case.. Given that Lara or Tendulkar or Ponting are not THAT much better than Viv and given a middle order of Sobers, Bradman and G Pollock with one slot left.. Would you guys then go for Viv because not only is he more intimidating but also he adds more on the field than the others (perhaps Ponting will be close, given that he himself is an awesome fielder)...

Would that be a right line of thinking?
I think viv should walk into the team on his batting alone. because HE is better than ponting, lara and tendulkar. choosing between the last three is more difficult than choosing between them and him. for starters, his SR as a a batsman was a clear 9 runs more than lara, 11 more than ricky and 14 more than sachin.

and yes, if push comes to shove you should take his fielding into account and let him walk into your team. it did add a significant amount of positive energy to his team.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think viv should walk into the team on his batting alone. because HE is better than ponting, lara and tendulkar. choosing between the last three is more difficult than choosing between them and him. for starters, his SR as a a batsman was a clear 9 runs more than lara, 11 more than ricky and 14 more than sachin.

and yes, if push comes to shove you should take his fielding into account and let him walk into your team. it did add a significant amount of positive energy to his team.
my point exactly... Obviously, I didn't see the best of him even as a batsman and so I don't want to rate him but there are quite a few who seem to think the likes of Lara and Sachin at least were better than him as batsmen.. But even given that, with the sort of a fielder he was, you would think it is more value to have his fielding abilities and bowling abilities even if it is at the cost of a 2 or 3 runs average to your team...

bagapath

International Captain
i have vehemently argued against rating ponting above sachin or anyone else above richards. still i am willing to concede that it is not blasphemous to compare richards, g.chappell, sachin, lara and ponting with one another. they all were extremely successful attacking batsmen with long careers around the globe. with relevance to this thread also, one of them could be rated the greatest ODI cricketer of all time. my choice is richards followed by sachin. but have you seen g.chappell's ODI stats?

GS Chappell 1971-1983 74 2331 138* 40.18 3 72 5/15 29.12 2 23 0

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
i have vehemently argued against rating ponting above sachin or anyone else above richards. still i am willing to concede that it is not blasphemous to compare richards, g.chappell, sachin, lara and ponting with one another. they all were extremely successful attacking batsmen with long careers around the globe. with relevance to this thread also, one of them could be rated the greatest ODI cricketer of all time. my choice is richards followed by sachin. but have you seen g.chappell's ODI stats?

GS Chappell 1971-1983 74 2331 138* 40.18 3 72 5/15 29.12 2 23 0
Have you seen his SR? :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Strike rates in Test cricket are highly misleading. There are so many factors at play that it would be folly to It is easier to maintain a higher SR in a team with a great batting and bowling lineup than in a team with poorer batting or bowling lineups. One has to look no further than Tendulkar for that. His SR is as good as it has ever been in his career and the stronger team he now plays in affords him that freedom. Also, one can almost guarantee that Sehwag wouldn't be striking at 78 if he didn't have Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman to follow. He'd have to bat much more 'responsibly' or get dropped in the name of recklessness. Does Gambhir deserve to be penalised because his career SR fell an entire 3 points over the course of a single test match recently?