• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't understand that at all tbh
Yeah, I don't really get it either. Hoggard's got him six times in nine Tests, and he only averages 13.6 in innings he's been dismissed by Hoggard in. There's actually one bowled and one lbw in the mix though so Hoggard I guess outsmarted him to an extent.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While we're in the ad-break I'm gonna say that was too high
I thought the same. Clipping the top of middle, according to Hawkeye. Wouldn't have been overly upset to see that given not out.

Gambhir trying the age old half a stride after the ball hits to make it look as if it hit him outside off. Nice try, but no cigar.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah, I don't really get it either. Hoggard's got him six times in nine Tests, and he only averages 13.6 in innings he's been dismissed by Hoggard in. There's actually one bowled and one lbw in the mix though so Hoggard I guess outsmarted him to an extent.
Hoggard is (was?) certainly a better bowler than Southee, but in terms of bowling style he's slower, gets less bounce, and if anything bowls fuller. You would think he'd be Sehwag's dream opponent.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
India's best handling of difficult conditions was in England 2007, but their success under grey skies in the second test needs to be qualified by some poor batting at Lord's in the first test. Not long before that, they struggled in South Africa.

I do expect India to deal with seaming tracks if presented with them, simply because i think their batsmen are good enough to overcome them. But i don't think they've proven that they can. Certainly not time and time again.
They have proved it time and again as your example illustrates. They didn't exactly struggle in RSA and in Aus at Perth they were upto the task to win the test. Helpful conditions dont happen often enough but whenever there has been one, India and their bowlers, batsmen have mostly been class.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Damn. This was a chance of a confidence-boosting maiden to finish the session by Southee, and he puts down a dreadful leg side ball.

Polo23

International Debutant
What an utterly atrocious pitch. Can someone tell me how this is a first morning test match pitch? There is NOTHING in it for the bowlers (swing doesnt count, it has nothing to do with the pitch).

Our groundsmen are idiots, they should be sacked for this crap.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
oh the lol of all the talk about the wind and the cloud at the basin..

All blue sky with no wind.

PS

Sky = Worst commentators/company on this planet

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Pleased with this start for NZ. Really looked like Vettori's fairly hopeful move to bowl first was going to backfire spectacularly. Great stuff from Franklin and O'Brien - two of my favourite bowlers at the moment.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Wonder how much patel would have helped.. the welly boys doing good on their local track

Ps. **** pitch

Days of Grace

International Captain
The only reason I can think of Vettori wanting to bowl first was that NZ would go all out to chase a 4th innings target to tie the series.

But if it starts to turn with any sort of pace on day 5, that won't be easy.