• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England are so unbelievably dire against dobber bowling.

Anyway I do agree that 135 off 20 is easier than 240 off 50. I think about 145-155 would have been about right.

I'd say 250-300 is par for 50 overs on a standard limited overs track and 160-180 for 20 overs.
That implies a readjustment from 240 off 50 to:

229 off 45
218 off 40
204 off 35
188 off 30
170 off 25

Incidentally, who's nicked the real Straussy?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I love the way we don't see Pickup in the tour threads that much these days but as soon as there's a DL match he's here to tell everyone to STFU, WAG

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
That implies a readjustment from 240 off 50 to:

229 off 45
218 off 40
204 off 35
188 off 30
170 off 25
More stats:

average score in ODIs in the past four years: 256.
average score in 20-over internationals in those years: 158.

Now, 240 is 94 % of the 50-over average, so judging by that, you'd expect to chase 149, really.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Statsguru'd? Link please!
Only involving top-eight sides as the poorer quality pitches & batting of Associate matches skew things somewhat:

Cricinfo Statsguru - One-Day Internationals - Team records - average score 260 (note that this includes rain-shortened matches, so in actual fact is a bit lower)
Cricinfo Statsguru - Twenty20 Internationals - Team records - average score 159

For some reason they give different figures now, possibly I gave a wrong input somewhere. It doesn't change much, the adjusted target by the method described above is still 146.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course ODIs reduced to 20 overs have an extra 2 overs of fielding restrictions, so the average score under those circumstances would be a little higher anyway.

Shame there aren't more T20 games to look at, then you could have a look at first score bands and compare win percentage. Not enough international T20s to get a reasonably accurate figure yet. I was looking at 160-180 scores batting first the other day in T20Is, think it was won 5 lost 8 or something which surprised me a little bit.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's nice to see England insert the knee-jerk reactions firmly up the anuses of their critics.

But it'll also be nice to see them implode and do the same to the OTT "we're awesome" reactions.

England are AVERAGE.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
England win the series if Windies strike, yeah?

Pollard is useless. Not sure why the Windies play him. He can't bat and only England make his bowling look decent.