• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The system should take in to account that the team batting second knew that they were going to chase only for 20 overs and not 50 and some runs should be added for that...

I think they do that if an innings is interrupted...
Which they do. That is why the run rate required at the start was 6.35 and not 4.80.

6.35 is a bigger number than 4.80.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The system should take in to account that the team batting second knew that they were going to chase only for 20 overs and not 50 and some runs should be added for that...

I think they do that if an innings is interrupted...
They've done it here, that's why England aren't chasing about 95 of 20...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nope 240 on this wicket was a good score with KP and Freddie out... Injured.. Windies shafted here again by Messrs. Duckworth and Lewis.. Last time it was Dyson... :laugh::laugh::laugh:
So are they supposed to factor injured players into the target? 8-)

Neil Pickup

equivalent chases will turn into farces especially if the match is reduced to 20 overs.look at the way england are playing now-wickets dont matter if its just 20 overs.nothing is equal if the match is reduced to 20 overs-chasing teams will always have a huge advantage.
So you abandon the match or use a reserve day? Fine and, in principle, I agree - but it's just not workable in the modern game. So in extreme situations you have 50 plays 20: and you must use an extension of your target modification system to decide on the target.

gvenkat

State Captain
Which they do. That is why the run rate required at the start was 6.35 and not 4.80.

6.35 is a bigger number than 4.80.
But they dont take in to account that they have 10 wickets to chase that in a shorter period of time. Especially for a situation like this where the 1st innings is completed and the start of the 2nd innings gets interrupted..

Anyway 2-2 going to St.Lucia and No strike... so we get one more game :laugh::laugh::laugh:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope 240 on this wicket was a good score with KP and Freddie out... Injured.. Windies shafted here again by Messrs. Duckworth and Lewis.. Last time it was Dyson... :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Don't be so daft, Duckworth and Lewis can't take into account who is injured. 240 is in no way an adequate ODI score on this pitch. Windies are shafted by the fact they haven't scored enough runs... even though two of our bowlers were injured.

Neil Pickup

But they dont take in to account that they have 10 wickets to chase that in a shorter period of time. Especially for a situation like this where the 1st innings is completed and the start of the 2nd innings gets interrupted..

Anyway 2-2 going to St.Lucia and No strike... so we get one more game :laugh::laugh::laugh:
This is the point in the classroom where I stop arguing using words and diagrams and reach for the coloured bricks.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Don't be so daft, Duckworth and Lewis can't take into account who is injured. 240 is in no way an adequate ODI score on this pitch. Windies are shafted by the fact they haven't scored enough runs... even though two of our bowlers were injured.
This is spot on.

BTW, England havn't won this yet by a long way, still time for us to arse it up.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gawd some poor stuff here.

I agree lets go back to the old system, we'd only need another twenty then

Windies batted poorly now they're bowling poorly, that's why they're losing, tends to happen that way funnily enough.

Anyway if any team could make this a contest still, it's England:unsure:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strauss goes

or does he?

BTW, is it just me or do people not whine about DL until their team are staring down defeat?

ozone

First Class Debutant
Dubious decision against West Indies, how long before we hear a conspiracy theory from Sammy2...

Neil Pickup

Should be out that, bounced on his finger imo
I agree, that's got the bottom of the middle and index fingers - but on the TV replay with the foreshortening effect, you just cannot give that out.

For the record, and before anyone mentions anything, the third umpire is West Indian.