• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Woodster

International Captain
I agree about the flat wickets that are in use so frequently worldwide, however, it is always a joy to watch Tendulkar bat on any track but some of his strokeplay at McLean Park has been absolutely exquisite, can't wait for it to get underway again tonight.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The ideal decks would be the ones from the Aus-SA and SA-Aus series. They all produced results, but were good for batsmen and for bowlers.
The pitch for the first NZ v India test was brilliant. If New Zealand had batted 100% better in the first hour of the test match, you could have had a classic.

I wonder what people would be saying if 22-3 had become 61-6 before lunch this week?

The only problem with this pitch is that it didn't start to turn by lunch on day 4.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I agree about the flat wickets that are in use so frequently worldwide, however, it is always a joy to watch Tendulkar bat on any track but some of his strokeplay at McLean Park has been absolutely exquisite, can't wait for it to get underway again tonight.
I think both Sachin and Dravid played absolutely fantastic cricket shots. Dravid was beyond reproach. His defense, off both feet, should be put up on utube for anyone who writes here about having problems with defense to go to and watch.

The way he played down three rising short deliveries off the backfoot in a row was fascinating. And when he got a lose ball he put it away every single time.

Sachin was more on the "lookout" for runs and the backfoot drives he made were absolute classics. Its not for youngsters on this forum, but young Indian cricketers including those who have played for India to go and see again and again. Gambhir would be transformed as a batsman if he could defend off the backfoot like Dravid (instead of poking uncertainly everytime he cant hit a ball off the backfoot nor leave it alone) and drive with a straight bat to the off side off the backfoot.

It was truly a master class. Worth every single minute of lost sleep which I had to endure
to get up at 3.15 am after going to bed at 1 am :)

Woodster

International Captain
I think both Sachin and Dravid played absolutely fantastic cricket shots. Dravid was beyond reproach. His defense, off both feet, should be put up on utube for anyone who writes here about having problems with defense to go to and watch.

The way he played down three rising short deliveries off the backfoot in a row was fascinating. And when he got a lose ball he put it away every single time.

Sachin was more on the "lookout" for runs and the backfoot drives he made were absolute classics. Its not for youngsters on this forum, but young Indian cricketers including those who have played for India to go and see again and again. Gambhir would be transformed as a batsman if he could defend off the backfoot like Dravid (instead of poking uncertainly everytime he cant hit a ball off the backfoot nor leave it alone) and drive with a straight bat to the off side off the backfoot.

It was truly a master class. Worth every single minute of lost sleep which I had to endure
to get up at 3.15 am after going to bed at 1 am :)
Yes fully agree about the Dravid defensive masterclass. I mentioned Tendulkar because of his attacking prowess, he gave the more eye-catching display. His driving front and back foot was perfect, while his flicks off his legs was typical Sachin.

On Dravid, he certainly emphasised his reputation as 'The Wall', and his six down the ground was a beauty. Gambhir showed that he could maintain his concentration, and didn't give it away despite runs not coming too fluently throughout the day.

R_D

International Debutant
Major irony being the Indians have been the least sensitive ones in this thread.
haha too true...

I think there's more irony in someone getting angry at the suggestion that Indians get angry too often.

I wasn't referring to any of the Indians on CW anyway. Truth be told, most of the regulars are really good posters, hence yours, SJS's and Jono's names always get thrown around as proof (as if i really needed it) that not all Indian cricket fans are easily offended.
I wasn't angry.... it may have sounded bit bitter i guess.

I think this distinction is important and isn't stressed enough on here. A lot of the times the criticism from the more sensitive Indian posters seems to be that a lot of people are comparing them to your everyday youtube or cribuzz contributor in which case they would have a right to be a bit pissed off.

Just don't think this perceived Indian "anger" really exists tbh.
agree with this

R_D

International Debutant
Oh sure. He is the best wicket keeper in India (and that includes Dhoni) so there is no reason why he should not be the stand in keeper at least.
I don't know about that... Karthick's keeping has regressed a fair bit... he maybe more natural keeper than Dhoni but he currently isn't even close to Dhoni as keeper right now.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know about that... Karthick's keeping has regressed a fair bit... he maybe more natural keeper than Dhoni but he currently isn't even close to Dhoni as keeper right now.
Indeed. Has kept shockingly in the recent past. Dhoni is a far safer keeper, despite hitting a slight period of poor form in New Zealand. He is not a natural keeper and from what I've read, he does not tick all the technical boxes, but he is pretty safe behind the stumps.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Decent? Better than that.

NZ will be very disappointed with that. India will be pleased.

Some Indian posters here (won't mention names) figured this would be over as a contest by today.

Instead India lost one wicket.
lol... but we played THAT bad in that inning, Jono...

Great effort today but it is not over yet.. NZ have bowled really well and made sure we never got away with anything. So we are still adrift and even 200 in the last session is doable for them... So we need to bat two more sessions without losing more than 2 wickets tomorrow to be in REAL safety.

BTW, Jeets Patel is awesome... Better attacking option for tests than even Vettori, perhaps?

Evermind

International Debutant
Truth be told, most of the regulars are really good posters, hence yours, SJS's and Jono's names always get thrown around as proof (as if i really needed it) that not all Indian cricket fans are easily offended.
Hey you forgot about me. :p

funnygirl

State Regular
Hey you forgot about me. :p
Hmm...are u an Indian :unsure:.Then why do u always thrash our players .Yes they are not above criticism .But there should be some limit .only negative comments,thrashing wouldn't help.

I know u complain that Indians(some here) are way too defensive .What i felt is that almost all of us like to defend our favourite players .Ponting fans will defend him,Warne fans defend him,Mcgrath fans ...so on .So why is it such a huge crime when Sachin fans defend him ? .A lot of Indians criticized him many times too.

Other Indian players like Sreesanth,Bhajji,Yuvraj ,,etc got good amount of stick from many Indian posters here.So it is plain wrong to assume that Indians will defend their players no matter what.

After the first innings performance almost every one went after Indian team if i remember .

Evermind

International Debutant
Hmm...are u an Indian :unsure:.Then why do u always thrash our players .Yes they are not above criticism .But there should be some limit .only negative comments,thrashing wouldn't help.

I know u complain that Indians(some here) are way too defensive .What i felt is that almost all of us like to defend our favourite players .Ponting fans will defend him,Warne fans defend him,Mcgrath fans ...so on .So why is it such a huge crime when Sachin fans defend him ? .A lot of Indians criticized him many times too.

Other Indian players like Sreesanth,Bhajji,Yuvraj ,,etc got good amount of stick from many Indian posters here.So it is plain wrong to assume that Indians will defend their players no matter what.

After the first innings performance almost every one went after Indian team if i remember .
Yes, I am Indian by ethnicity.

The problem is that the Indian fans are way too easily satisfied, and get extremely complacent. I used to support India, until I realised that I just don't like the team's attitude - it's like they ultimately don't seem to want to win. They play out for draws, never finish off a team when they're on top, and sometimes just fold under pressure. Sydney, SA last series, WC 2003 finals...just too many to mention - in a crunch situation, when it really counts, India can't do it. India are nowhere near being the top team in the world, and it irritates me to no end when Indian fans keep insisting that they are. Sure, there's the potential with this lineup to make it the best in the world, but a major re-adjustment in attitude is required. It's usually something that's always glossed over by the fans, who keep looking at past or individual achievements to justify their fanaticism.

I trash India usually when everyone's full of effusive praise for them. Everyone has different standards for success, and for me, it's all about winning series overseas. Look at this game with NZ - there is no way they should've gotten to 600+ - Ross Taylor was out like 3 times rightfully, if the catches had been held. To me, India are still in the England/Windies category. They need to seriously overhaul their game and develop a killer instinct - grow a freaking spine - to be able to catch up with the big boys.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Yes, I am Indian by ethnicity.

The problem is that the Indian fans are way too easily satisfied, and get extremely complacent. I used to support India, until I realised that I just don't like the team's attitude - it's like they ultimately don't seem to want to win. They play out for draws, never finish off a team when they're on top, and sometimes just fold under pressure. Sydney, SA last series, WC 2003 finals...just too many to mention - in a crunch situation, when it really counts, India can't do it. India are nowhere near being the top team in the world, and it irritates me to no end when Indian fans keep insisting that they are. Sure, there's the potential with this lineup to make it the best in the world, but a major re-adjustment in attitude is required. It's usually something that's always glossed over by the fans, who keep looking at past or individual achievements to justify their fanaticism.

I trash India usually when everyone's full of effusive praise for them. Everyone has different standards for success, and for me, it's all about winning series overseas. Look at this game with NZ - there is no way they should've gotten to 600+ - Ross Taylor was out like 3 times rightfully, if the catches had been held. To me, India are still in the England/Windies category. They need to seriously overhaul their game and develop a killer instinct - grow a freaking spine - to be able to catch up with the big boys.
do you know what a "bandwagon fan" is?you are nothing but a bandwagon fan and i say good riddance.we still have over a billion fans in India and fans aorund the world.

Evermind

International Debutant
do you know what a "bandwagon fan" is?you are nothing but a bandwagon fan and i say good riddance.we still have over a billion fans in India and fans aorund the world.
Do you know what "capitalisation" and "spacing" are? You are nothing but illiterate.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Do you know what "capitalisation" and "spacing" are? You are nothing but illiterate.

and(did you see what i did there) you dont know what being a fan is.stop watching cricket and stick to soaps.i dont care about capitalisation and spacing-you can stick that up your you know what.

funnygirl

State Regular
I got the point Evermind.But i don't think Indians believe that they are the best team in the world. Indian fans are extreme ones basically .Overreation is the term to use .We are easily satisfied by the win and easily depressed in loss too. We just praise Sehwag while he scores heavily and will start calling him all sorts of names if he fails.Some one calls Tendulkar overrated yet secretely admires when he scores.

Evermind

International Debutant
I got the point Evermind.But i don't think Indians believe that they are the best team in the world. Indian fans are extreme ones basically .Overreation is the term to use .We are easily satisfied by the win and easily depressed in loss too. We just praise Sehwag while he scores heavily and will start calling him all sorts of names if he fails.Some one calls Tendulkar overrated yet secretely admires when he scores.
Well I have no problem with Tendulkar actually. I almost had him in my favourite XI, and had Sehwag in it too.

I don't have a problem with the team losing - NZ lose all the time, but they're one of my favourite teams which manages to punch above its weight in cricket. India on the other hand punch well below its weight - on paper, the best team in the world, but on the field, can't manage to finish the opposition off. It's pretty sad.

It's what SJS said about Harbhajan - he had the potential to be one of the best in the world, but growth stopped and complacency set in, and now he's merely good but well below where he should be. It's a good metaphor for the whole team, perhaps except Tendulkar, who has more exacting standards. Ganguly typified this mindset, and I'm really glad he's gone.