• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

NZ4life!

Cricket Spectator
Man... we are goners...

Congrats Kiwis... You played amazingly well in this match and deserve the innings win. :)

Great work on showing up the INdian side as well... If ever there was proof that complacency and poor fielding alone can lose you a match, this is it... New Zealand want to win this a LOT more than India... It is as simple as that and that is what has resulted in this performance, I feel.

Exciting times ahead for the Kiwi supporters with very promising and talented batsmen like Ryder, Guptill and Taylor backed up with a seemingly come of age McCullum and the ever reliable Vettori.. Jeets Patel should play all the time... at least in tests. And they just one good quality seamer to complete the puzzle.. They should be in the top half in few years time if they can live up to their potential..
Agree with almost everything you've said, except about a quality seamer. let me know if i'm wrong, but I wouldn't hesitate to say Martins been quality this test. 3 for 80 odd on a flat pitch against a batting lineup like india's... thats not a bad effort. O'Brians good too, but In my opinion Southee's the bees knees, hopefully he'll step up in the next year or two..

and Jesse Ryder... simply brilliant

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
England are better at winning or drawing series away than India. Disregarding the latest debacle.
Used to be true. It is not true at the moment. In the last 3 years England have won 2 Tests out of 18 games played overseas and of the 5 series they have lost them all apart from the NZ series.

That is a horrible record and doesnt reflect well on NZ either.

Just look at complacent and easily-satisfied Indian fan comments on ccricinfo:

This from a team that hasn't won an away series in Aus, SA and NZ in recent history. Can't remember the stats for SL. Pretty amazing.
Yeah, they clearly have an inflated opinion.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Agree with almost everything you've said, except about a quality seamer. let me know if i'm wrong, but I wouldn't hesitate to say Martins been quality this test. 3 for 80 odd on a flat pitch against a batting lineup like india's... thats not a bad effort. O'Brians good too, but In my opinion Southee's the bees knees, hopefully he'll step up in the next year or two..

and Jesse Ryder... simply brilliant
I think what hes saying is that we dont have a spearhead in the name of a Bond. We have workmanlike bowlers like Martin and O Brien who do well but cannot tear through top orders at 150km/h

NZ4life!

Cricket Spectator
I think what hes saying is that we dont have a spearhead in the name of a Bond. We have workmanlike bowlers like Martin and O Brien who do well but cannot tear through top orders at 150km/h
Yeah fair point. Thats a bit to ask though, i mean Bond was one of the best and to just churn another out straight after Bond's gone...

I'm hopeing Tim Southee will be good in years to come. he can't bowl as fast as Bond but he certainly has talent, perhaps a little bit of hadlee about him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yep... exactly what I meant...

BTW, abt Sehwag, I can understand him playing his natural game... But dragging balls from way outside off to slog sweep and trying to sweep without getting outside the line are not his natural game. It was obvious today that he tried to tone it down and it had ended up muddling his thinking and he ended up being too positive against Patel...

His natural game is to play a PROPER attacking shot to any ball... If it is pitched up outside off and flighted, his natural shot is to hit over cover.. But today he was trying to sweep. It is not his natural game...

And it was a dumb shot... How is that offensive? No one said he is dumb all the time or anything, just that it was a dumb shot.... Maybe he is allowed to play that way and it is his natural game but it is still not the best shot for the circumstance and so people are entitled to call it dumb.. What is the big deal about it?

adharcric

International Coach
True, but had it not been for Sehwag's knock, India would have been playing for a draw at Chennai.

Basically Sehwag turned a situation where India needed to draw a match, to where India could win it. Now sure a win was even more unlikely here, but he's just doing what he always does.
Doing what he always does got Sehwag dropped from the side the last time India played on the seaming tracks in South Africa. Sehwag's at his best when he's playing restrained (by his standards, still explosive for anyone else) knocks like the Adelaide ton, not when he's racking up reckless triple-hundreds on dead tracks. You certainly have a point in that Sehwag's approach will come off on some days and fail on others, but today was an extraordinary situation that required absolutely nothing except self-preservation and batting for time (unlike Chennai). Sehwag may or may not be able to bat like he did in Adelaide on a consistent basis, but is it too much to ask for a little common sense when his team is in such dire straits?

HB has summed it up quite well, actually.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
BTW, abt Sehwag, I can understand him playing his natural game... But dragging balls from way outside off to slog sweep and trying to sweep without getting outside the line are not his natural game. It was obvious today that he tried to tone it down and it had ended up muddling his thinking and he ended up being too positive against Patel...

His natural game is to play a PROPER attacking shot to any ball... If it is pitched up outside off and flighted, his natural shot is to hit over cover.. But today he was trying to sweep. It is not his natural game...
Agreed, HB. I said as much when I said that if Sehwag had wanted to hit Patel he could have simply have hit him over the covers, or right back over his head, or even flicked towards the leg side, instead of trying to wildly hoick the ball towards mid wicket and give his wicket away in the process. It was stupid, no two ways about it, as far as I can see.

Polo23

International Debutant
I really take offence to a comment by a Kiwi commentator about Sehwag. When he threw his wicket away, someone said it's dumb. D-U-M-B. That was way out of line. Yes, that shot was inappropriate. Yes, he should have thought about the match situation. Yes, he should have showed some discretion. Yes, there was a lot more match play left. But dumb? As Arun Lal said, totally out of line.

Sehwag has an average over 50. He has several scores over 150, several over 200 and two over 300. You can't call him dumb! Honestly, I too hope he scores a 300 or more in the next Test match, just to show who's dumb!
So you agree the shot was dumb, yet you take offense to a commentator saying it was dumb?

Unless of course you think playing an inappropriate, unthoughtful shot in that situation is somehow smart?

I enjoy Smith and Crowe's commentary tbh, they call a spade a spade. I'm pretty sure Sehwag would have been saying exactly the same thing as Smith at that point in time also.

By the way, he didn't call Sehwag dumb, he called the shot he decided to play dumb. How would you describe it in one word?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No seriously. NZ has already removed the strongest part of the batting lineup. Sachin is in form, but Dravid and Laxman are not. Yuvraj can't bat in Tests and Karthik is average.

I don't see how we can get 300. NZ will certainly make India follow on tomorrow. The pitch may start to do something as well.
:-O

Holy crap. I'm actually sort-of-right for once. I guess if you throw enough darts.....