• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I really take offence to a comment by a Kiwi commentator about Sehwag. When he threw his wicket away, someone said it's dumb. D-U-M-B. That was way out of line. Yes, that shot was inappropriate. Yes, he should have thought about the match situation. Yes, he should have showed some discretion. Yes, there was a lot more match play left. But dumb? As Arun Lal said, totally out of line.

Sehwag has an average over 50. He has several scores over 150, several over 200 and two over 300. You can't call him dumb! Honestly, I too hope he scores a 300 or more in the next Test match, just to show who's dumb!
Really? I mean, I understand that he's an aggressive player and all, but it WAS dumb. And yes sometimes it'll come off and he'll blaze a run-a-ball 150, but leaving your team in that kind of position with 2 whole days to play was at least as dumb as Taylor's horrible slog to get out on day 1.

Evermind

International Debutant
So India did collapse, as predicted.

This match should be over by tomorrow, with a more humiliating margin than the first one.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to disagree with some of pro Sehwag comments here. That shot, in almost any situation was D-U-M-B (as the commentators rightly said). It was a daft slog when the situation required some sense with just about 30 minutes to stumps. Its fair enough if Sehwag wanted to be aggressive, and was unable to wait until the next day, but there was little preventing him hitting that ball through the off-side for six with a clean straight swing of the blade, as opposed to trying to hoick it over mid wicket and gifting his wicket away. Awful shot and another example of Indian complacence against second tier spinners coming back to bite them in the ass.
Really? I mean, I understand that he's an aggressive player and all, but it WAS dumb. And yes sometimes it'll come off and he'll blaze a run-a-ball 150, but leaving your team in that kind of position with 2 whole days to play was at least as dumb as Taylor's horrible slog to get out on day 1.
That's Sehwag for you. There's no need to convince him to 'play out an innings' or 'keep a wicket intact', as it will never work. He's at his best when he's trying to attack all the time. All of his big hundreds have come when he's tried to take a bowling attack to the cleaners. We've seen, back in 2004, facing a massive deficit in the first innings in Kanpur, he belted Pollock and Ntini all around the park, and they easily erased or at least came close to it. Either it comes off, or it doesn't. On the other hand, there are six slow-coaches (although one is known to force the pace often) in this Indian top seven. Clearly, all of them could have buckled down and played a long, serious innings. Why not implicate them for throwing their wickets away so cheaply?

Days of Grace

International Captain
I really take offence to a comment by a Kiwi commentator about Sehwag. When he threw his wicket away, someone said it's dumb. D-U-M-B. That was way out of line. Yes, that shot was inappropriate. Yes, he should have thought about the match situation. Yes, he should have showed some discretion. Yes, there was a lot more match play left. But dumb? As Arun Lal said, totally out of line.

Sehwag has an average over 50. He has several scores over 150, several over 200 and two over 300. You can't call him dumb! Honestly, I too hope he scores a 300 or more in the next Test match, just to show who's dumb!
Oh, please.

Can't you handle criticism of your Indian, pampered, spoilt superstars?

All those things you listed added together equal dumb. It was D.U.M.B. Handle it.

He won't score 300 in the next game, because it won't be on an Asian road.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh, please.

Can't you handle criticism of your Indian, pampered, spoilt superstars?

All those things you listed added together equal dumb. It was D.U.M.B. Handle it.

He won't score 300 in the next game, because it won't be on an Asian road.
Wow, way to make a stupid post.

Get off your high horse for a second. As if there aren't flat tracks everywhere in the world, and Sehwag has scored runs... everywhere in the world. NZ would kill to have him.

I don't care what the NZ commentators in particular said about Sehwag. Its the general consensus that has gone on for years from everyone. If he gets caught at third slip slashing, or on the boundary slogging, he's playing poor cricket.

If that slash goes over point for 4, and the slog over long on for six, and he makes a double ton, he's a champion.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni's return to the team will surely be a major boost for them. They can, however, make another change- there's no way Amit Mishra should be sitting out, when neither of Yuvraj and Munaf have done anything.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
We have a clean slate now in terms of the Test, but with the option of a win removed. We put on 500 here, and the draw is secured.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni's return to the team will surely be a major boost for them. They can, however, make another change- there's no way Amit Mishra should be sitting out, when neither of Yuvraj and Munaf have done anything.
Munaf took wickets in the first Test though. Personally, I think Vijay in for Yuvraj may be necessary. However, one must consider giving Yuvraj a prolonged run in the team, something he has never had.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Munaf took wickets in the first Test though. Personally, I think Vijay in for Yuvraj may be necessary. However, one must consider giving Yuvraj a prolonged run in the team, something he has never had.
So what? Munaf scored no runs, took no wickets, gave away several runs in the outfield and off his own bowling. He's done scratch, to replace Amit Mishra, who's a better bowler. There's no point picking Vijay, as he's not going to do much on a flat deck. What if he too gets out cheaply? Like Dinesh Karthik? Why, even Harbhajan Singh may be a more useful batsman than Yuvraj Singh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hope Jeets takes a few wickets. Should be over by the end of the day tomorrow though. India batted decently in their first innings but it was their bowling and fielding effort that let them down. At 23/3 they started well but let their grip slip and after that they seemed entirely ineffective throughout the rest of the match. (Besides Harby who was great)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man... we are goners...

Congrats Kiwis... You played amazingly well in this match and deserve the innings win. :)

Great work on showing up the INdian side as well... If ever there was proof that complacency and poor fielding alone can lose you a match, this is it... New Zealand want to win this a LOT more than India... It is as simple as that and that is what has resulted in this performance, I feel.

Exciting times ahead for the Kiwi supporters with very promising and talented batsmen like Ryder, Guptill and Taylor backed up with a seemingly come of age McCullum and the ever reliable Vettori.. Jeets Patel should play all the time... at least in tests. And they just one good quality seamer to complete the puzzle.. They should be in the top half in few years time if they can live up to their potential..

Craig

World Traveller

It's not like he racially insulted Sehwag and his family.

Redbacks

International Captain
Was it Ian Smith who called it a 'dumb' shot? Pretty sure he uses the same comment every time he is in Australia, when in his opinion, he thinks a player has thrown their wicket away.

Wouldn't consider it a personal attack, every batter makes mistakes.

Evermind

International Debutant
yeah, this Test isnt over and less than a year ago this NZ was getting beaten home and away against a very ordinary England team.
England are better at winning or drawing series away than India. Disregarding the latest debacle.

Just look at complacent and easily-satisfied Indian fan comments on ccricinfo:

Aravind: "Ah, nothing more interesting than seeing India face and rise up to a challenge, it was getting boring doing so well in cricket for so long"
This from a team that hasn't won an away series in Aus, SA and NZ in recent history. Can't remember the stats for SL. Pretty amazing.

Last edited: