• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Any news on the Napier pitch? It's been fairly good for batting of late right? What are the chances of NZ preparing a garden to try and even things out?

Polo23

International Debutant
Any news on the Napier pitch? It's been fairly good for batting of late right? What are the chances of NZ preparing a garden to try and even things out?
Slim to none. India own world cricket and we wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of the BCCI, so the pitch will be flat.

An unchanged squad (only Arnel is omitted) for the 2nd test. Absolute madness. How the hell can Mills retain his place after THAT performance in Hamilton? Hopefully Patel plays ahead of him ffs.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Slim to none. India own world cricket and we wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of the BCCI, so the pitch will be flat.

An unchanged squad (only Arnel is omitted) for the 2nd test. Absolute madness. How the hell can Mills retain his place after THAT performance in Hamilton? Hopefully Patel plays ahead of him ffs.
Cheers for the info. I'm shocked Mills has kept his place in the squad, especially if they plan on playing Patel ahead of him, why not send him off to play domestic? That said not sure Patel vs the Indian Batsmen is such a great idea, especially in NZ, if Sehwag get's after him....*Mcgain* is whispered by the wind... Will be interesting to see if India can force a win if NZ bat first or win toss. Really tempted to put some money down while the odds are good.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Is Franklin still in the side? I'd like to keep him for at least this series, but gee he better start producing either runs or wickets! And lots of them!

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hope Mills plays. Delighted by the "don't dump a player for 1 bad game" basic cricketing logic
Can't agree with you here. I know you're a fan of Mills but IMO he's only rarely looked like a test match bowler in the past and is not at the top of his game now.

I think he should be dropped not because he cannot be a good test match bowler, but just because he's in terrible form. The accuracy and control that has made him so effective in ODIs is currently absent. And not for just one game either - basically ever since the end of the C-H series and his injury.

If Mills was at his recent peak he'd be a shoo-in for the side (even if not taking lots of wickets he could be guaranteed to exert some control on the batsmen), but he's not. In fact, not even close. It's a really big leap of faith to say that he's going to come right between now and Thursday.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
On the note of his batting, he doesn't seem to be a total novice - I recall him putting on a handy partnership with Ojha in a recent ODI against Sri Lanka. His fielding is improving too. I will not say that ODI cricket should be only for multi-skilled cricketers, but that Munaf simply isn't a bowler you'd want in ODI cricket. He is tight on his day and God-awful otherwise and this simply isn't an option for ODI cricket - you either be an inconsistent match winner or someone often very tight and Munaf is neither.

His Test bowling possesses a lot of potential but I remain convinced that his bowling screams of untapped potential in terms of pace, among other things. Dhoni uses him diligently though, quickly spotting when he has not begun a spell well (Munaf rarely improves from a poor start to a spell) and takes him off whereas he knows that Munaf is capable of six or seven overs when it is going well.

Tbh, I'd rather him as a third seamer, in New Zealand, over Sreesanth, RP Singh or Irfan Pathan. This being said, I would likely give the new ball to RP Singh or Irfan Pathan, in New Zealand, over Munaf Patel. This is not a disservice to Munaf at all, but the aforementioned duo extracted substantial swing in Australia which I'd have no doubt they'd be able to replicate in NZ.
As i was saying after the odi series when most of the fans were hammering him,he is a very good test bowler ,he is still not using his runup for gathering momentum and is what i call a shoulder bowler and his seam position is still scrambled if he can improve in these
areas he would be choice even in indian conditions and a fit Sreesanth is>Munaf > R.p>Irfan

Howsie

International Captain
Can't agree with you here. I know you're a fan of Mills but IMO he's only rarely looked like a test match bowler in the past and is not at the top of his game now.

I think he should be dropped not because he cannot be a good test match bowler, but just because he's in terrible form. The accuracy and control that has made him so effective in ODIs is currently absent. And not for just one game either - basically ever since the end of the C-H series and his injury.

If Mills was at his recent peak he'd be a shoo-in for the side (even if not taking lots of wickets he could be guaranteed to exert some control on the batsmen), but he's not. In fact, not even close. It's a really big leap of faith to say that he's going to come right between now and Thursday.
I'm not a fan of Kyle Mills playing test cricket, and I know his form has been pretty bad. But who else do we really have except for Southee?

I would much rather have Southee in the team over Mills, but the selectors seem to not want him to play against the Indians.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would much rather have Southee in the team over Mills, but the selectors seem to not want him to play against the Indians.
Hamilton, eh? Would you also prefer James Marshall in the team too? Maybe Peter McGlashan should take the test match keeping gloves? :ph34r:

Southee is in equally poor form as Mills.

Now, I tell you who's in good form. Dooowayne Bowden, that's who! :ph34r:

Howsie

International Captain
I'm not a fan of Kyle Mills playing test cricket, and I know his form has been pretty bad. But who else do we really have except for Southee?

Trent Boult, Mitchell McClenaghan?

Oh and welcome to the Forum

Howsie

International Captain
Hamilton, eh? Would you also prefer James Marshall in the team too? Maybe Peter McGlashan should take the test match keeping gloves? :ph34r:

Southee is in equally poor form as Mills.

Now, I tell you who's in good form. Dooowayne Bowden, that's who! :ph34r:
Nah I would rather have Williamson over Marshall:dry:

And by the way atleast Southee has taken wickets for ND after going back, he has a little bit of from behind him.

Howsie

International Captain
McClenaghan lol, he might bowl six good balls a game. And Trent Boult is injured at the moment. And is no way ready for Test Cricket.
But he has pace, and is alot better then what he use to be. I didn't know Boult was injured, but I wouldn't really want him to play for us just yet. Anyone other then Mills would be nice.

Howsie

International Captain
But he has pace, and is alot better then what he use to be. I didn't know Boult was injured, but I wouldn't really want him to play for us just yet. Anyone other then Mills would be nice.
He has improved this season yes, but is no Waaaaaaaay ready for international cricket. We just have to face facts, New Zealand doesn't have any decent bowlers right now other then O'Brien.

R_D

International Debutant

hehe right ... so you've taken liking to Mark Richarson's article before the series as well.

Fact is NZ pitches have been getting pretty flatter recently not because BCCI told them to do it so. If the NZ batsman can't bat on these flat wickets than what makes you think they'll do a better job on the green pitch.

Flem274*

123/5
He has improved this season yes, but is no Waaaaaaaay ready for international cricket. We just have to face facts, New Zealand doesn't have any decent bowlers right now other then O'Brien.
-and Franklin once he gets his bowling mojo back and people realise he's not a goddamn batsman...now.

Polo23

International Debutant
hehe right ... so you've taken liking to Mark Richarson's article before the series as well.

Fact is NZ pitches have been getting pretty flatter recently not because BCCI told them to do it so. If the NZ batsman can't bat on these flat wickets than what makes you think they'll do a better job on the green pitch.
Of course the NZ pitches have been getting flatter in the last few years. That doesnt mean we couldnt easily produce a green seamer. But we wont because we don't want to upset the Indians like on the last tour (yeah, the one where Harbhajan refused to come back...he's a man of his word).

I never said NZ would bat well on any kind of wicket, but I do think our best chance to beat India would be on a green pitch, we simply don't have the bowlers to take 20 wickets on something flat.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Apparently they've moved the pitch slightly because of a fungus (?) and the new one will have more grass on but won't be a greentop. Should make things a bit more interesting, hopefully it will mean a result.

Is Butler fit yet? His extra pace might be what NZ need right now. They should drop Tim Mcintosh, Shastri had him worked out within 2 minutes of seeing him and so did Zaheer Khan, bring back Jamie How, at least he and Guptill will score more quickly (if they manage to hang around).

Regarding Munaf Patel, if he improved his fitness and used his run up properly surely he could eek out another 5-10 clicks? I mean how can anyone his age look so damn rheumatic? Right now he bowls a lot like a mate of mine, can't be arsed to run so he just trundles up and muscles it down at a fair clip.