• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I think Tendulkar was actually referring to Phil Hughes who is the son of a banana farmer.
In response to wfdu_ben91's post about Hughes being the second coming. That was Tendulkar's way of saying to wfdu_ben91 "go eat a banana."

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You see mate, what it means to criticize The God. You can understand what I went through when I did that ( fairly or unfairly).
Tbf, only Precamrbian has replied in an unfair and aggressive manner.

Some of us disagreed with your contentions regarding Tendulkar. I think we've been proven right on many of them, but I hardly think you can state that the responses here to Pratters' suggestion have been 'unfair'.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay seeing all the negative responses I will take it that I was wrong on this issue. I jumped to a conclusion which I shouldn't have.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
From cricinfo (quotes with Andy Moles) for the next test:

Patel will come back
Flynn will need cover in case cannot play (bruised hand)
O'Brien will need cover in case cannot play (side strain)
Oram may play

Numerous permutations so not sure how it will work out. In particular, don't know who would be bracketed with Flynn - perhaps Jamie How?

Also, quite like the things Moles says in the press conferences. I know it's only a minor thing but it makes a great change from Bracewell.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
From cricinfo (quotes with Andy Moles) for the next test:

Patel will come back
Flynn will need cover in case cannot play (bruised hand)
O'Brien will need cover in case cannot play (side strain)
Oram may play

Numerous permutations so not sure how it will work out. In particular, don't know who would be bracketed with Flynn - perhaps Jamie How?

Also, quite like the things Moles says in the press conferences. I know it's only a minor thing but it makes a great change from Bracewell.
Patel won't make any difference, Southee will probably come in for O'Brien if he's ruled out and How will most probably come in for Flynn if he doesn't play.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Day 1 of the next test could see some serious fireworks. McMillan's slated to commentate for Sky, isn't he?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
On the topic, the enigma put in a good Test performance for once and I continue to find it astounding how he has not intention to bowl quickly in ODI cricket and bowls at 130kph whereas he is up at 140kph at times in Tests. The approach in ODI cricket to go stump to stump and bowl accuracy may have worked in the 1980s and early 1990s but not in this era where a predictable bowler is one who goes for seven runs per over. However, in Test cricket, he is a solid bowler and plays the role of the third seamer well - he bowls accurately without being defensive.

What annoys me about Munaf and perhaps it is a product of my own ignorance, is that he looks like he could bowl so much faster. Watching a bowler from front on and side on, Munaf is the standout as someone who really looks to be jogging to the crease and have no sort of massive effort at delivery and yet he bowls up to 142kph.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He is a safe pair of hands and has quite thr throw, these days - it is a shame he can't run otherwise he'd be quite the outfielder.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
On the topic, the enigma put in a good Test performance for once and I continue to find it astounding how he has not intention to bowl quickly in ODI cricket and bowls at 130kph whereas he is up at 140kph at times in Tests. The approach in ODI cricket to go stump to stump and bowl accuracy may have worked in the 1980s and early 1990s but not in this era where a predictable bowler is one who goes for seven runs per over. However, in Test cricket, he is a solid bowler and plays the role of the third seamer well - he bowls accurately without being defensive.

What annoys me about Munaf and perhaps it is a product of my own ignorance, is that he looks like he could bowl so much faster. Watching a bowler from front on and side on, Munaf is the standout as someone who really looks to be jogging to the crease and have no sort of massive effort at delivery and yet he bowls up to 142kph.
He should stick to playing Test cricket. He's better cut out for that. He seems more relaxed, bowling faster, and getting more control. His lack of batting and absence of fielding is no issue at all in a Test match, and he doesn't have to worry about batsmen getting after him for quick runs. Let one-day cricket be the domain of more multi-skilled bowlers.

On a lighter note
Jono said:
or looks, the ugly bastard
I resent that- my own folks think he looks like me!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He should stick to playing Test cricket. He's better cut out for that. He seems more relaxed, bowling faster, and getting more control. His lack of batting and absence of fielding is no issue at all in a Test match, and he doesn't have to worry about batsmen getting after him for quick runs. Let one-day cricket be the domain of more multi-skilled bowlers.
On the note of his batting, he doesn't seem to be a total novice - I recall him putting on a handy partnership with Ojha in a recent ODI against Sri Lanka. His fielding is improving too. I will not say that ODI cricket should be only for multi-skilled cricketers, but that Munaf simply isn't a bowler you'd want in ODI cricket. He is tight on his day and God-awful otherwise and this simply isn't an option for ODI cricket - you either be an inconsistent match winner or someone often very tight and Munaf is neither.

His Test bowling possesses a lot of potential but I remain convinced that his bowling screams of untapped potential in terms of pace, among other things. Dhoni uses him diligently though, quickly spotting when he has not begun a spell well (Munaf rarely improves from a poor start to a spell) and takes him off whereas he knows that Munaf is capable of six or seven overs when it is going well.

Tbh, I'd rather him as a third seamer, in New Zealand, over Sreesanth, RP Singh or Irfan Pathan. This being said, I would likely give the new ball to RP Singh or Irfan Pathan, in New Zealand, over Munaf Patel. This is not a disservice to Munaf at all, but the aforementioned duo extracted substantial swing in Australia which I'd have no doubt they'd be able to replicate in NZ.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
On the note of his batting, he doesn't seem to be a total novice - I recall him putting on a handy partnership with Ojha in a recent ODI against Sri Lanka. His fielding is improving too. I will not say that ODI cricket should be only for multi-skilled cricketers, but that Munaf simply isn't a bowler you'd want in ODI cricket. He is tight on his day and God-awful otherwise and this simply isn't an option for ODI cricket - you either be an inconsistent match winner or someone often very tight and Munaf is neither.
I've heard stories about his batting, and even when he played for Maharashtra, he strung useful partnerships with the tailenders. However, once he started playing for India, his batting sank to mediocrity, even by tail end standards. Maybe he is a lot better than what those figures suggest. Playing as a Number Eleven may be a cause. His fielding isn't any good, for a young fast bowler. He's slow on the outfield, can't reach the ball and the ball goes between his legs far too often. Modern-day cricket demands a lot more- sliding, diving, getting the whole body around the ball, then the pick-up and throw right on top of the stumps. We don't see any of this in him.
His Test bowling possesses a lot of potential but I remain convinced that his bowling screams of untapped potential in terms of pace, among other things. Dhoni uses him diligently though, quickly spotting when he has not begun a spell well (Munaf rarely improves from a poor start to a spell) and takes him off whereas he knows that Munaf is capable of six or seven overs when it is going well.
Maybe you have a different perspective on this, but I've noticed that all tearaway pacers are good fielders. Munaf isn't one. Yet he seems to get decent pace. Maybe it's an issue of biomechanics, that can be sorted out. Maybe plain old match fitness.
Tbh, I'd rather him as a third seamer, in New Zealand, over Sreesanth, RP Singh or Irfan Pathan. This being said, I would likely give the new ball to RP Singh or Irfan Pathan, in New Zealand, over Munaf Patel. This is not a disservice to Munaf at all, but the aforementioned duo extracted substantial swing in Australia which I'd have no doubt they'd be able to replicate in NZ.
In Tests, maybe, but in ODIs, it will be Irfan or Praveen over Munaf. Sreesanth was at that time a great pick, but his replacement is taller, faster and thus better. RP Singh is a freak case; he was initially good as a change bowler, but then fell away at that. Let's not get to Irfan so soon; that's another issue altogether, which needs a lot of work. Swing isn't something that can be 'lost' so easily, a technical analysis and supervised practice can help retain and maintain it.