• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
No, he really isn't.
Since when? Had a bad series on flat flat wickets in India, was good against NZL and bowled with a broken foot against South Africa. Before that he was the best bowler in the world for nigh on two years. Not sure how a few bad tests can change that.

Until there's actual proof that he's lost it then he should be (and will be) back in the side.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After two good series? No. Lee has performed more over a longer period.
Brett Lee, for all his brilliance in ODIs has never been our best quick bowler.

He was third best behind McGrath and Clark until McGrath retired, then he was second best behind Clark until India, then he was second best behind Johnson in India and now he's at least third best again behind Johnson and Siddle.

He's never been a great bowler in test matches and has never run through a side, which you would expect your best bowler to do occasionally.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can't see us winning this tbh.
I know you're doing this on purpose to anti-jinx, but wtf is it with Australian and Indian fans, and them expecting the opposition to just roll over and die every time?

Whenever the opposition is chasing a huge total, if there's even the sign of a partnership they get all pissed off, or start talking about how they'll certainly lose.

This is cricket at the highest level FFS.

stephen

Neither does Stuart Clark.
But in a direct comparison between the two Stuart Clark comes out far better, and Lee has had an extra 50 odd tests.

Brett Lee is one of those guys who gives his all and is a great team player and has a bucketload of natural talent, but just cannot seem to get it all to mesh for him. He's a good bowler but not great - of a similar standard to Kasper or Bichel.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Regarding Lee, I guess we won't know for sure how well he's travelling until he's got a ball in his hands. Anyone have any info as to when that's like to be? Can't see him squeezing in for the Ashes at this rate.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Would bring Lee back in without a second thought. Carried the side for nearly two years, deserves more than some Indian tests and a few unlucky tests where his foot was broken before I lose faith in him.

So much knee-jerk re: this attack.
This.

No doubt in my mind about what the strongest XI available is for the Ashes, if everyone's fit.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Clark

The only issues with that side are fitness, and the fact that it'd be an all pace attack, with over rates and so on. Could also bring North in for Watson since he's had a good series to date and can bowl some spin, but I'd still rather a genuine 5th bowling option.

Only change I'd make to it is bringing McGain in for one of the pacers if either over rates were a consistent issue or the pitch was turning. Just not sure who he'd come in for.

In terms of who they WILL pick though... it'll include North at least, and I can't see them selecting an all-pace attack with four front-liners. Probably McGain in for one of the seamers depending on fitness and form.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He was third best behind McGrath and Clark until McGrath retired, then he was second best behind Clark until India
Also, interesting interpretation of "best":

Lee
Code:
Mat  	Runs  	HS  	Bat Av  	100  	Wkts  	BBI  	Bowl Av  	5  	Ct  	St  	
9 	189 	63* 	23.62 		0 	58 	5/59 	21.55 		2 	4 	0
Clark
Code:
Mat  	Runs  	HS  	Bat Av  	100  	Wkts  	BBI  	Bowl Av  	5  	Ct  	St  	
9 	61 	32 	8.71 		0 	34 	5/32 	26.52 		1 	1 	0

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This series perhaps, but that one with Eng and WIndies and Pak and SL? I'm sure some county games have had a higher standard of cricket.
Yeah fair enough but you know what I mean.

When India were dominating Australia in the 2nd test of their recent series, and Haddin and Clarke made an 80+ run partnership, suddenly panic stations stepped in.

Same with a few other series.

social

This.

No doubt in my mind about what the strongest XI available is for the Ashes, if everyone's fit.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Clark

The only issues with that side are fitness, and the fact that it'd be an all pace attack, with over rates and so on. Could also bring North in for Watson since he's had a good series to date and can bowl some spin, but I'd still rather a genuine 5th bowling option.

Only change I'd make to it is bringing McGain in for one of the pacers if either over rates were a consistent issue or the pitch was turning. Just not sure who he'd come in for.

In terms of who they WILL pick though... it'll include North at least.
Agreed with the only proviso being that I wouldnt be too confident that Watson could play the innings that North did in the first test - the guy is good enough, just dont know whether he believes it

Inferiority

Banned
I don't think there is much point in drawing this test as Australia are probably going to bat out the next test match to win the series. SA should have been more aggressive in this run chase