• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, interesting interpretation of "best":

Lee
Code:
Mat  	Runs  	HS  	Bat Av  	100  	Wkts  	BBI  	Bowl Av  	5  	Ct  	St  	
9 	189 	63* 	23.62 		0 	58 	5/59 	21.55 		2 	4 	0
Clark
Code:
Mat  	Runs  	HS  	Bat Av  	100  	Wkts  	BBI  	Bowl Av  	5  	Ct  	St  	
9 	61 	32 	8.71 		0 	34 	5/32 	26.52 		1 	1 	0
If that is true, I stand corrected.

Always felt watching them that Clark was the one more likely to take a wicket.

Which tests did this run include btw?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed with the only proviso being that I wouldnt be too confident that Watson could play the innings that North did in the first test - the guy is good enough, just dont know whether he believes it
Yeah. That was a pretty special innings but I don't think Watson is too far behind North as a batsman on ability. If he's playing well with the bat in the lead-up to the Ashes, given that his bowling is vastly superior, I still think he'd be a good choice. Wouldn't be overly surprised if they don't pick him though, for obvious reasons.

Wonder if they'll drop Siddle if both Lee and Clark are fit. Would be one of the harsher selection decisions in recent memory.

social

I don't think there is much point in drawing this test as Australia are probably going to bat out the next test match to win the series. SA should have been more aggressive in this run chase
You do realise that 550 would've broken the test record by 100 +

SA's chances of chasing this down were somewhere between nil and zero

stephen

Sri Lanka at home, India at home, West Indies away. Even if you include India away, Lee's are still better.
Statistically speaking these sides are the ones that Lee has had the most success against.

If he plays in England it will be interesting to see how he does. Won't take much to lower that 40 average he holds against them.

stephen

How many really good series has Lee had? 3 or 4?
1999/2000 and 2000/2001 where really good for him and 2007 and 2007/2008 were good seasons for him. Everything else in his career can at best be described as "ordinary".

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
1999/2000 and 2000/2001 where really good for him and 2007 and 2007/2008 were good seasons for him. Everything else in his career can at best be described as "ordinary".
Indeed. I still find myself shaking my head in disbelief when I see he has more Test wickets than Jason Gillespie. Despite all his injuries, Dizz seemed so much better for so much longer that it just seems wrong.

social

Yeah. That was a pretty special innings but I don't think Watson is too far behind North as a batsman on ability. If he's playing well with the bat in the lead-up to the Ashes, given that his bowling is vastly superior, I still think he'd be a good choice. Wouldn't be overly surprised if they don't pick him though, for obvious reasons.

Wonder if they'll drop Siddle if both Lee and Clark are fit. Would be one of the harsher selection decisions in recent memory.
Hopefully, there's no chance of dropping Siddle

He should be the one earmarked to lead the attack for the next few years

However, it wouldnt surprise me to see them retain McDonald as he can close up an end with the ball, suited to some English conditions and a potential all-rounder - stranger things have happened!

stephen

Indeed. I still find myself shaking my head in disbelief when I see he has more Test wickets than Jason Gillespie. Despite all his injuries, Dizz seemed so much better for so much longer that it just seems wrong.
Agreed.

No other fast bowler has taken over 300 wickets with an average > 30.

Vaas, Ntini and Dev come closest.