• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
A month ago they became the first team to beat Australia in Australia for 16 years. I think they'll be all right.
Briony is just fishing.

If South Africa had taken a few early poles he wouldn’t be anywhere to be seen. He positively fell off the globe after Smith gunned it in England after he kept saying he wouldn’t buy a run, inswingers bunny and all that. Guy seems to have an affliction with South Africa, probably use to live there in the 'good old days'…

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flat pitch, maybe? or maybe the aussies found their mojo? Harris doin alright right now.
Yeah there's an extent to which Hughes makes poor bowling look the absolute pits because he's so good on the cut. When anything remotely short outside off-stump goes the distance the margin for error is next to nothing.

That lets SA off the hook a little though. When someone's as strong as Hughes is outside off stump you find a new bowling plan.

Redbacks

International Captain
What! He's only 20? **** man, how do you aussies always manage to find so many good test batsmen? looking forward to seeing Guptill in white tho...
Good junior participation, just about every kid in Australia would play cricket in the summer and their football code in winter.

Good domestic comp, 6.5 million people for one team in NSW and 5 million for Victoria makes these teams especially strong at full strength. Vic during the season, and NSW when the test players back

Briony

International Debutant
Briony is just fishing.

If South Africa had taken a few early poles he wouldn’t be anywhere to be seen. He positively fell off the globe after Smith gunned it in England after he kept saying he wouldn’t buy a run, inswingers bunny and all that. Guy seems to have an affliction with South Africa, probably use to live there in the 'good old days'…
Rubbish.

Now tell me, why do you lack so much depth?

Briony

International Debutant
Tsotsobe's their first backup, he's pretty good from what I've seen/heard (just injured). Imran Tahir's the backup spinner, he's better than anything Oz have. Ashwell Prince is most certainly test-class and can't even make the side.

The Saffers on here will know a bit more, but i don't think their backup is the pits. There's definitely something to work with, just noone with much experience (much like Oz).
Lack of experience hasn't hurt some of our guys to date.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Is it just me or do the vast majority of Saffer batsman have the same technique? That ugly, mechanic looking stuff. Seems only Duminy is any different.
Just you. Nothing mechanical about the way Amla bats...Two aesthetically ugly cricketers in the South Africa top six and they are the openers but neither of them are mechanical or have text book techniques. Completely individual, I mean no one would be taught to leave the ball like Neil Mac does…

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tsotsobe's their first backup, he's pretty good from what I've seen/heard (just injured). Imran Tahir's the backup spinner, he's better than anything Oz have. Ashwell Prince is most certainly test-class and can't even make the side.

The Saffers on here will know a bit more, but i don't think their backup is the pits. There's definitely something to work with, just noone with much experience (much like Oz).
Thing is, if you look at the Test bowling stats from the past 2 years, Steyn has been epic, but the rest of the attack is distinctly average.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thing is, if you look at the Test bowling stats from the past 2 years, Steyn has been epic, but the rest of the attack is distinctly average.
Indeed. Ntini is in decline and has always been a bit one-dimensional anyway, Morkel's dreadfully inconsistent and Harris is Harris.

Steulen

International Regular
A flat pitch in Durban. What's the world coming to?

Mind, some absolute dross served up by the Saffie attack.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
My major point, take out Steyn and the SA attack is nowhere near the world's best.
That a big point, init? Of course if you are going to take the best fast bowler in the past two years out of the side it isn’t going to be the best.

Similarly, take Johnson out of the Australian attack and what have you got? Siddle (Good), ****house, Ronald McDonald and a nothing spinner. The only difference the Australians have is they have the likes of Clark waiting to return. South Africa don’t…

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
So it's obviously just me. Eh, I find Smith, McKenzie, Boucher and Prince (who I know isn't playing) very similar batsman to watch. Also maintain Smith is the most unattractive batsman going around.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Prince is brutal to watch sure he makes runs but he gets them in not the visually most pleasing manner.