• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Redbacks

International Captain
Michael Slater was comparing Morne Morkel to Glenn McGrath when South Africa were out here...
:wacko: He certainly has potential however test cricket isn't a place where you can afford to carry a bowler while he learns the game, he will have to go back to domestic cricket for a while it would appear.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA might be in for a lean period in test cricket unless it can get some more support from Steyn. No talent Morne is not going to cut it. It seems to me sometimes that SA bowls better away than at home.
Nah they're in the top 3 with Oz and India. Travel better than any other team.

inbox24

International Debutant
Surprisingly Kallis has done alright, I was fully expecting him to be looking like a medium pace trundler, but credit to him for proving me wrong. At the moment SA look like operating with three bowlers, Steyn, Ntini, and Kallis. Hopefully we can continue to stay on top of Steyn and break the backbone of their morale.

Briony

International Debutant
Nah they're in the top 3 with Oz and India. Travel better than any other team.
But with Ntini closer to retirement, Kallis long in the tooth and no support for Steyn, their bowling stocks look thin. Great test bowlers win matches.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Judging by the way Hughes and Katich are going at it, would I be right in saying this is a flattish pitch?
Looks a good wicket but there is some right ****e bowling going on. There is always a bit in it at Kingsmead especially with the new ball but South Africa have blown it thus far. I mean Paul Harris into the attack already. :sleep:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
The Pura Cup final last year defined the future of Australian cricket. Siddle taking 9 wickets in the match and Hughes getting a ton.

Redbacks

International Captain
Have to say, the first time I saw him in the last match, I thought 'wtf?' having heard all you guys going on about how great he was.
runs told the story, he's in fine company, not many top players make 4 hundreds in a domestic season especially 20yr olds.

Burgey

SA might be in for a lean period in test cricket unless it can get some more support from Steyn. No talent Morne is not going to cut it. It seems to me sometimes that SA bowls better away than at home.
A month ago they became the first team to beat Australia in Australia for 16 years. I think they'll be all right.

Uppercut

But with Ntini closer to retirement, Kallis long in the tooth and no support for Steyn, their bowling stocks look thin. Great test bowlers win matches.
It's an awkward bowling attack I'd say. They all swing and seam the ball and the only one you'd actually enjoy facing is Paul Harris, who will hopefully be replaced by Imran Tahir soon. There's inconsistency but on the other hand any one of them could strike at any time.

It's hard to make a case for them when they're serving up absolute **** like they are currently, but they're definitely better than this. It's only a few days ago that they rolled Oz for 200.

NZ4life!

Cricket Spectator
runs told the story, he's in fine company, not many top players make 4 hundreds in a domestic season especially 20yr olds.
What! He's only 20? **** man, how do you aussies always manage to find so many good test batsmen? looking forward to seeing Guptill in white tho...

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd think so. He was so slow, he'd have had enough time to walk off, take off his pads and gloves in the dressing room, look back and see his shadow play the shot that got him out.

But yeah, bloody tiresome. He's not the only Saffie giving Hughes ****, though. Genetic inability to give credit for unorthodoxy.
Is it just me or do the vast majority of Saffer batsman have the same technique? That ugly, mechanic looking stuff. Seems only Duminy is any different.

Briony

International Debutant
It's an awkward bowling attack I'd say. They all swing and seam the ball and the only one you'd actually enjoy facing is Paul Harris, who will hopefully be replaced by Imran Tahir soon. There's inconsistency but on the other hand any one of them could strike at any time.

It's hard to make a case for them when they're serving up absolute **** like they are currently, but they're definitely better than this. It's only a few days ago that they rolled Oz for 200.

They seem to collectively bowl tripe a bit though. Australia just you feel has too much depth. We keep producing new players yet SA is too reliant on the same team. And outside of their eleven I can't see many international standard players. Albertus as 12 man says it all. He's not test standard.

NZ4life!

Cricket Spectator

Flat pitch, maybe? or maybe the aussies found their mojo? Harris doin alright right now.

Uppercut

They seem to collectively bowl tripe a bit though. Australia just you feel has too much depth. We keep producing new players yet SA is too reliant on the same team. And outside of their eleven I can't see many international standard players. Albertus as 12 man says it all. He's not test standard.
Tsotsobe's their first backup, he's pretty good from what I've seen/heard (just injured). Imran Tahir's the backup spinner, he's better than anything Oz have. Ashwell Prince is most certainly test-class and can't even make the side.

The Saffers on here will know a bit more, but i don't think their backup is the pits. There's definitely something to work with, just noone with much experience (much like Oz).