• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shootout in Lahore

Fusion

Global Moderator
Numerous Pakistani players/officials have stated they have met the SL team and apparently all are doing ok. The players will be flown in a Pakistani Airforce helicopter to the airport, from where they will catch the first flight back home. Godspeed to them. The people of Pakistan will be eternally grateful to them for touring and equally ashamed that they couldn't provide them a better visit. The sooner they get out, the better. God seems to have forsaken Pakistan.

I am very proud of the Pakistani policemen who gave their lives to defend the players. God knows what might have happened if it wasn't for their bravery.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They are talking to one of the guys on the TV proudction crew in the stadium and he's saying the team is pretty much on lockdown in the Gaddaffi stadium surrounded by commandos. Scary interview they all are scared of even getting back to the hotel and the airport.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Another stupid PPP Jiyala he is drunk half the time so I won't take anythign he says seriously.Before making this comment he said this on Geo Tv this was a continuation of a gun fight between two rival land grabber gangs in lahore..

they had separately reported a gun fight in the gulberg area 2 hours ago..

he was trying to pass this off as sl team caught in rival gang gun fire and not a targeted attack??

what an idiot!

pup11

International Coach
But surely if you have to play behind closed doors and with armoured convoys closing roads off, then it's kind of a bit of a pointless exercise really.. Don't think you can blame the PCB for a lack of security
I am afraid there is no such thing as 'foolproof' or rather 'terrorist proof' security. This is the problem. Its easy to blame PCB but there is only so much they can do. They are caught between a rock and a hard place. You cant ensure 100% against terrorists and you cant afford to admit it to the world.

How can PCB protect the cricketers if Benazir could not be protected or Rajeev Gandhi could not be protected.
My point is not a single cricket country was ready to tour Pakistan due to security concerns, so should this series have at all taken place, and still when Sri Lanka agreed to tour Pakistan, PCB should then have done everything they could have to ensure their safety.

Providing the Sri Lankan team with a bullet-proof vehicle or probably sealing a particular radius area of team's route from their hotel to the stadium could have helped, and tbh had it not been for the brave Pakistani policemen, the damage could have been severe.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
They are talking to one of the guys on the TV proudction crew in the stadium and he's saying the team is pretty much on lockdown in the Gaddaffi stadium surrounded by commandos. Scary interview they all are scared of even getting back to the hotel and the airport.
Really feel for the SL team.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Another stupid PPP Jiyala he is drunk half the time so I won't take anythign he says seriously.Before making this comment he said this on Geo Tv this was a continuation of a gun fight between two rival land grabber gangs in lahore..

they had separately reported a gun fight in the gulberg area 2 hours ago..

he was trying to pass this off as sl team caught in rival gang gun fire and not a targeted attack??

what an idiot!
Compltely agree with the sentiment. I myself was wondering how in the heck can someone make that kind of conclusion.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
My point is not a single cricket country was ready to tour Pakistan due to security concerns, so should this series have at all taken place, and still when Sri Lanka agreed to tour Pakistan, PCB should then have done everything they could have to ensure their safety.

Providing the Sri Lankan team with a bullet-proof vehicle or probably sealing a particular radius area of team's route from their hotel to the stadium could have helped, and tbh had it not been for the brave Pakistani policemen, the damage could have been severe.
These guys who attacked today had rocket launchers !

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

I just heard an interesting interview from a Sri Lankan official, saying that they had the full security reports and they supported them going. He also said that in 1996, Pakistan and India were the only teams to tour Sri Lanka when they had problems, and that they had felt that given that support, they had felt it only right to do the same once the reports came back okay.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
And at least one grenade.

Surprised more people didn't die tbh.
From the videos I have seen they didnt get too close. Were firing from a distance and lobbing hand grenades. I suppose the security guards kept them away with the firing in response.

These guys first fired shots at the wheels to stop the bus and then started firing but couldn't get too close. If they had got close enough, the players lying on the floor would have been in serious trouble.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I don't believe that some people in our media and govt are so delusional as to not see the problem within our country and continue to point at outside forces.

Pakistan has to recognize that these Fundamentalist groups are the biggest threat to the country’s existence and they are playing their part in disintegrating the nation.

Serious efforts needs to be put in to complexly wipe off these dangerous elements before the country turns in to Taliban time Afghanistan.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
This is horrible. Whether they were targets or not, I had really hoped that with all the problems in the world today, sport was one thing that could be left out of it. I guess not :( These bastards really have no souls.

Like others I hope the Sri Lankan team recovers fully, and my thoughts are with the loved ones of those that passed on.

For all I care, I hope no other team visits Pakistan. Pakistan cricket is now officially dead and quite frankly I don't give a crap.
I know alot of things are said in the heat of the moment, but I think one of the smaller tragedies in this debacle is that an entire nation of people wont get to see the sport that they love as much as we do any more. At least not for a long time to come. When it's only due to the actions of a small group of psychopaths, I think that's very sad.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Won't be seeing any more cricket in Pakistan.

Shocking news. Absolutely gobsmakked when I logged on this afternoon.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I know alot of things are said in the heat of the moment, but I think one of the smaller tragedies in this debacle is that an entire nation of people wont get to see the sport that they love as much as we do any more. At least not for a long time to come. When it's only due to the actions of a small group of psychopaths, I think that's very sad.
Thanks for the nice comments but it is extreamly justified I feel.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Okay SL Players are boarding the PAF Helicopter, they will be leaving directly for SL from Lahore Airport. I hope they reach home safe and unite with their anxious families.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No need to apologise for something you had no control over. You guys expected better from certain scum in society and were disappointed.
Include me to that list as well.. Honestly never thought the authorities were so powerless or so incompetent.. To just take out guns and fire at an international team bus belies belief... I am so so sorry and I apologize reg. my stance on touring Pakistan. Gutted... :(