• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope Johnny Dyson is listening somewhere, because you'd really think third-man would be common-sense here. Mind, I sometimes think third-man is just a position many captains refuse to use on principle, because there aren't that many occasions when you should not have one in.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
A - What did he say?
B - Can you call it football when posting in England threads please :ph34r:
Bit about Scunny making the Johnstone's Paint final. Personally I've got no problems with a bit of banter between commentators, better than the repeated (but painfully obvious) talk of having a third man and definitely better than Botham and Holding banging on about gaps in the slip cordon, which really gets my goat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
B - Can you call it football when posting in England threads please :ph34r:
Never. It's the height of arrogance to demand such a thing; there are several different types of football. It'd be like demanding that sprinting be called "sport" because it was the first sport of which the others have developed from.

I will, however, call it "association football" if you ask me nicely enough. :p

Jungle Jumbo

My knowledge of Aussie Rules isn't that great, but out of the myriad codes of 'football' (League, Union, gridiron etc etc) only one of them is predominantly played with the feet.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That S****horpe (I typed those asterisks) have reached the final of some weird-ass competition that virtually no-one cares about. And that it's apparently more important than the FA Cup.
I think you'll find the guy across the hall from me is a massive Luton fan and has been drinking solidly ever since they won the semi on penalties last night. Monty Panesar, too, will be lining up against Botham's side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That S****horpe (I typed those asterisks) have reached the final of some weird-ass competition that virtually no-one cares about. And that it's apparently more important than the FA Cup.
Well he played for Scunny tbf, nothing wrong with a bit of self-indulgence, and also there are plenty of people who care about that competition @ (until we get knocked out by Scunny, anyway :cry:)

Never. It's the height of arrogance to demand such a thing; there are several different types of football. It'd be like demanding that sprinting be called "sport" because it was the first sport of which the others have developed from.

I will, however, call it "association football" if you ask me nicely enough. :p
I'll ask you nothing nicely, you ****. I will be needing proof that sprinting was the first sport though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My knowledge of Aussie Rules isn't that great, but out of the myriad codes of 'football' (League, Union, gridiron etc etc) only one of them is predominantly played with the feet.
Aussie Rules is probably 50/50 TBH.

Regardless though, they're all still types of football.

Jungle Jumbo

Also, surely Anderson should just have thrown bat at ball as soon as he got out there today. Every ball he blocks is another that one of the proper batsmen could have spent adjusting to conditions in order to hit out properly (which Anderson can't do).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think you'll find the guy across the hall from me is a massive Luton fan and has been drinking solidly ever since they won the semi on penalties last night. Monty Panesar, too, will be lining up against Botham's side.
If I was a Luton fan I'd probably drink solidly all the time, to take the pain away

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he played for Scunny tbf, nothing wrong with a bit of self-indulgence
Hmm, well there is IMO TBH, but as long as it's just a minute or two I can put-up with it.
and also there are plenty of people who care about that competition @ (until we get knocked out by Scunny, anyway :cry:)
I doubt there are TBH, not those who follow mainstream UK football. Obviously those who follow a team who's doing well in it will.

Is that the old LDV Vans Trophy BTW?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I was a Luton fan I'd probably drink solidly all the time, to take the pain away
They should be saving some for the inevitability of the trips to Torquay and Weymouth and Eastbourne and Ebbsfleet next year. Going back there after Wembley's a real killer - but I don't reckon many sides will go to Wembley and drop out of the league in the same year...

As for the JPT, well it's the only time that I have failed to swear about City losing this season. It's nice if you haven't got more pressing concerns.