• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chanderpaul has - not all that often, but enough to take note of - bashed the ball all over the place and scored at phenomenal paces beyond pretty well all other batsmen. For instance, he has the 3rd-fastest Test century, ever.

Gayle rarely scores at all that much more than about 70 per 100 balls (in Tests). Obviously, occasionally he does, but that's generally dictated purely by bowling being utter dross rather than merely poor. Chanderpaul, however, it's just about whether the mood takes him. If he's in the mood and in the zone, you've got to bowl unbelievably well to contain him.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
West Indies' scoring-rate for the day after 1 delivery is 24-an-over.
I thought it was funny last night when Harmison's second delivery was a no-ball that went for six. His economy rate was at that stage listed as 42.00.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies' scoring-rate for the day after 1 delivery is 24-an-over.
Eh? Did you miss Swann's over then?

btw Anderson has been seriously unlucky not to have 2 or 3 wickets by this stage. Let's hope he gets his just deserts today.

craigyc43

Cricket Spectator
I think we should have enough to win this game. The key wicket as ever against us is Chanderpaul if we can get him cheap at least once i fancy our chances. Marshall is appaling i was unhappy to see him replace by hinds!!

ozone

First Class Debutant
That happened under completely different circumstances TBH. Batting first, the team had collapsed around him and WI were on the brink of being embaressed. It was a freak innings, not one which should really be taken into account when comparing him to Gayle, and not one which was played because Chanderpaul was 'in the mood', more because he could have been left at about 40* had he played in his usual manner.

Not only is it relatively unlikely that the WI are going to collapse to the extent they were that day (about 60-5 IIRC), it is also unlikely Chanderpaul would have the support down the order to be able to pull something like that off again. I would have no doubts that Gayle could score a run-a-ball 100 at the drop of the hat and that is why I would be more concerned about him takeing the game away from England.

BTW, I think it's actually considered the 4th fastest test 100, although I'd have to check.

Uppercut

Jimmy Anderson bowling at the halfway mark? Surely that's ripping the proverbial arse out it. Good bowling would do the job better than a ridge on the pitch.

Uppercut

Matt Prior is a costly drop waiting to happen. And if that was bowled from around the wicket Devon Smith had a grubber.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty lackluster bowling here. You would think if there is uneven bounce you would try and bowl as straight as possible and have an even onside and offside field...

Fan of Devon Smith and his played well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Always liked Devon Smith.

Funny to think that Daren Powell in all likelihood could contribute more with the bat here than he could with the ball.

He's already 103 for none.

Scoring a few runs may do him some good.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
One of Scaly's strong northern hardmen, Steve Harmison is off the field. He is not feeling too well, probably homesick. :sleep:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought it was funny last night when Harmison's second delivery was a no-ball that went for six. His economy rate was at that stage listed as 42.00.
Haha, aussome.

Also saw one occasion when the projected total was shown for a 50-over game when the first 2 balls had gone for three and four or something, and the projected total was over 1000. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of Scaly's strong northern hardmen, Steve Harmison is off the field. He is not feeling too well, probably homesick. :sleep:
Much as the notion of northerners being hard and southerners soft is obvious nonsense, I'm not surprised anyone'd be feeling unwell in these conditions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That happened under completely different circumstances TBH. Batting first, the team had collapsed around him and WI were on the brink of being embaressed. It was a freak innings, not one which should really be taken into account when comparing him to Gayle, and not one which was played because Chanderpaul was 'in the mood', more because he could have been left at about 40* had he played in his usual manner.

Not only is it relatively unlikely that the WI are going to collapse to the extent they were that day (about 60-5 IIRC), it is also unlikely Chanderpaul would have the support down the order to be able to pull something like that off again. I would have no doubts that Gayle could score a run-a-ball 100 at the drop of the hat and that is why I would be more concerned about him takeing the game away from England.

BTW, I think it's actually considered the 4th fastest test 100, although I'd have to check.
I've seen Chanderpaul play something like he played there on a decent few other occasions though. Not all of it being dictated by the match situation. Sometimes he's played differently in the same innings - and at least two of them have been described as "curate's egg innings"s.

As I say, I'm not suggesting it's at all likely that Chanderpaul will bat like that today, but you can never quite rule-out the chance of him doing so.