• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the no.1 spinner of the Post Packer Era?

Who will your spinner for the Post Packer XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evermind

International Debutant
"By post-Packer era, do they mean Kerry or fudge?" - my non-CW friend, looking at the thread, but quite familiar with cricket

adharcric

International Coach
done. we will go for four bowlers and 3 middle order bats. leave last place between allrounders, top batting runner up and top bowling runner up. may be top 2 runners up.

thinking of post ww 2 to apr 10, 1979 . what do you think?
Will you have one massive poll to select the four bowlers or four successive polls? The former seems likes an intriguing concept but may lead to a somewhat one-dimensional attack (i.e., voters may prefer some variety knowing that they already have 3 right-arm pace bowlers in the attack).

bagapath

International Captain
Will you have one massive poll to select the four bowlers or four successive polls? The former seems likes an intriguing concept but may lead to a somewhat one-dimensional attack (i.e., voters may prefer some variety knowing that they already have 3 right-arm pace bowlers in the attack).
i can go for two polls. one for a new ball pair and one for bowlers 3 and 4. i am more inclined to have one poll for the bowling attack. and get people to select four bowlers in one shot. have not tried it before. should be fun.

for batsmen i am going to give a pool of players and ask members to choose their top 5 from that.

Migara

International Coach
Yes, but then this is even more offset by the fact that Murali played half his tests at home on dustbowls designed for him whereas Warne played half his tests at home where only 1 pitch aided him and the rest were better suited for pace.
I think we have done analysis on this and had many arguments as well. But the fact is when adjusted to playing conditions and the oppositions, their averages, SR s become so close, infact a difference of decimals. Only thing that is infavor of Murali is he gives marginally less number of runs than Warne.

The preference become subjective indeed. Don't blame Ikki for selecting Warne, as he's biased towards Warne, and I select Murali because I am biased towards him too. Infact I wuld drop any player other than Bradman and Sobers to get both of them in in my All time XI

Migara

International Coach
Because it wasn't a joke. Australia were simply too good. The only side in the world that would have beaten that side was Australia.
Combined Asian XI rather thn that side would have beaten Aussies. The side they have selected never gelled together as a unit.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think we have done analysis on this and had many arguments as well. But the fact is when adjusted to playing conditions and the oppositions, their averages, SR s become so close, infact a difference of decimals. Only thing that is infavor of Murali is he gives marginally less number of runs than Warne.
And if you recall I then proved to you that the only two places in the world where spin outperforms pace are India and Sri Lanka. And Warne is even better in Sri Lanka than Murali is.

Combined Asian XI rather thn that side would have beaten Aussies. The side they have selected never gelled together as a unit.
I was talking about Test sides.

Migara

International Coach
And if you recall I then proved to you that the only two places in the world where spin outperforms pace are India and Sri Lanka. And Warne is even better in Sri Lanka than Murali is.
And vice versa on other countries except Australia.

Even the test side that played the super test was wrong. Boucher was a joke against Muralitharan. Sanga should have played there.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

The preference become subjective indeed. Don't blame Ikki for selecting Warne, as he's biased towards Warne, and I select Murali because I am biased towards him too. Infact I wuld drop any player other than Bradman and Sobers to get both of them in in my All time XI
The biggest Sri Lanka fan around hits the nail on the head, awesome :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And vice versa on other countries except Australia.
Except, he isn't. Warne has better away figures also. We went through this before where you conveniently tried to leave out Warne's stats against Sri Lanka (his best) and Murali's against Australia (his worst) for the sake of "common" opponents.

Even the test side that played the super test was wrong. Boucher was a joke against Muralitharan. Sanga should have played there.
Wouldn't have made much difference as Murali wasn't bowling well anyway. Never really had in Australia. If anything, that was one of his better performances.

Besides the point was that the team in question was much superior to the likes of New Zealand or West Indies - teams that do count in this comparison.

P.S. is this poll over yet?

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
Besides the point was that the team in question was much superior to the likes of New Zealand or West Indies - teams that do count in this comparison.
Better on paper. But not better on field.

And on the subject of Boucher against Murali: Murali took 3 quick wickets in that match. He had a catch dropped and a stumping missed by Boucher, one of them was off Ponting IIRC. Sanga would have gleefully gobbled that at most occasions, because he was folled by the turn. will not be fooled by the turn as Boucher was. I can still remeber in one over to Katich, both of them did not have a clue where the ball was going.

Top_Cat

Better on paper. But not better on field.

And on the subject of Boucher against Murali: Murali took 3 quick wickets in that match. He had a catch dropped and a stumping missed by Boucher, one of them was off Ponting IIRC. Sanga would have gleefully gobbled that at most occasions, because he was folled by the turn. will not be fooled by the turn as Boucher was. I can still remeber in one over to Katich, both of them did not have a clue where the ball was going.
Yeah that spell in the Super Test was just awesome. I've seen both Warne and Murali make top batsmen look totally foolish like that, hence why I can't really split them insofar as who I'd have in my World XI. I'd choose Warne if I had a gun to my head but it's a close thing.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Adjusting for strengh of opposition is easy, but how do you get quantitative data for adjusting to playing conditions?

James

Cricket Web Owner
A question out of left field. Will we in a few years be comparing Ajantha Mendis alongside the greats Murali and Warne? Perhaps that question is even for another thread.

bagapath

International Captain
A question out of left field. Will we in a few years be comparing Ajantha Mendis alongside the greats Murali and Warne? Perhaps that question is even for another thread.
looks like it is a real possibility unless he loses the zing and ends up as merely good

Top_Cat

The thing I like most about him is that he doesn't have one weapon he relies on as his wicket-taking option. A lot of the time he uses his variations to set up the batsmen for the sucker-punch straight one, all the while maintaining suffocating accuracy. All good signs.

Migara

International Coach
Adjusting for strengh of opposition is easy, but how do you get quantitative data for adjusting to playing conditions?
Since Warne and Murali had careers that overlapped it's easy to assume that they got more or less same conditions to bowl on when they toured abroad. There is no true quantification, but generally when playing away, these two have played on surfaces that are quite similar.

Migara

International Coach
Most prbably will become a better Harbhajan, with stats and conduct. If he can match Kumble, he would have done a great job.