• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the no.1 spinner of the Post Packer Era?

Who will your spinner for the Post Packer XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Demon43

Cricket Spectator
warne for sure murali has a deform which allows him to get more movement in his wrist plus warne is one of the smartest bowlers to ever play test cricket

Migara

International Coach
warne for sure murali has a deform which allows him to get more movement in his wrist plus warne is one of the smartest bowlers to ever play test cricket
So you are saying that Murali was a dumb bowler? He was as good as Warne when came to bowling tactics, without using "the aura" which got Warne many LBWs for him. In Muralis early career, batsmen kept padding him, but no umpire gave them LBW, despite most of them hitting the middlestump flush on the top. If hawkeye was there then,Murali would have go 850+ wickets by now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So you are saying that Murali was a dumb bowler? He was as good as Warne when came to bowling tactics, without using "the aura" which got Warne many LBWs for him. In Muralis early career, batsmen kept padding him, but no umpire gave them LBW, despite most of them hitting the middlestump flush on the top. If hawkeye was there then,Murali would have go 850+ wickets by now.
Not that Warne wasn't hindered by tight umpiring too.

archie mac

International Coach
What would the Murali boys been like if we did not have neutral umpires:unsure:

Demon43

Cricket Spectator
I never said murali was a dumb bowler i think warne was a smarter bowler and he bowled the ball of the century for a reason id like to see murali bowl a ball like that plus if warne hadnt of got suspended he probably would have reached 800 test wickets

0RI0N

State 12th Man
I never said murali was a dumb bowler i think warne was a smarter bowler and he bowled the ball of the century for a reason id like to see murali bowl a ball like that plus if warne hadnt of got suspended he probably would have reached 800 test wickets
---
murali will end at 850 ish wickets,barring injury.warne was brilliant at psyching out batsmen( porky,ramps and ashwell come to mind).but for out and out wicket taking ability,murali is the best.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
---
murali will end at 850 ish wickets,barring injury.warne was brilliant at psyching out batsmen( porky,ramps and ashwell come to mind).but for out and out wicket taking ability,murali is the best.
Yeah Warney retired before he lost form though. He could easily have played another 3-4 years and taken piles more wickets.

If he made himself available for tests tomorrow he's be in the national side by the Ashes. I think the selectors would even consider giving Hauritz an "unfortunate accident" and send Warney over to South Africa in his place.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
rare feather on ICCs cap.
To be fair, if not for this ICC he may have not been given the chance to ever bowl again. They decided to redefine everything because of his case.*

*Not starting a is-Murali-a-chucker thread.

bagapath

International Captain
havent you seen the ball murali bowled to mark butcher? every bit as good as the gatting ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU1ffpk-R00

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
he bowled the ball of the century f
Utterly overrated delivery to get a piss poor batsman against spin. Don't jump on me and say he averaged 50 against India in India. But when he faced Kumble or Murali (both very young, mind you. If he played them at their prolific best, I don't give him a chance to score 10) he never went passed 20 with his average.

Infact Warne's round the wicket ball to get Basit Ali is my favorite, and Ali is a damn good player of spin as well, unlike Gatting. And there were many by Warne that are miles ahead of Gatting ball. One to Chanderpaul is also a peach.

Murali has bowled that prticular ball to Butcher is good, but one he sent to Sandagopan Ramesh in 2001-2 series is the best one. Once again very good player of spin made to look as a utter fool. Much better than illusive ball of century. And all of this without any help of the rough, by just pure wizardery.

Migara

International Coach
To be fair, if not for this ICC he may have not been given the chance to ever bowl again. They decided to redefine everything because of his case.*

*Not starting a is-Murali-a-chucker thread.
A poorly defined law changed, isn't it good for cricket?

I would have liked to see the farce when Venkat calling Lee or McGrath for throwing under old law. It just wanted umpires opinion. If Venkat called McGrath for throwing, that's it. What a relief to have science to have it's say!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the "ball of the century" was just a very good wicket-taking delivery incredibly overhyped...watch sivaramakrishnan bamboozling a great player of spin bowling javed miandad in the benson & hedges cup in australia if you can get a video...there are so many other examples of similarly exceptional deliveries...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Utterly overrated delivery to get a piss poor batsman against spin. Don't jump on me and say he averaged 50 against India in India. But when he faced Kumble or Murali (both very young, mind you. If he played them at their prolific best, I don't give him a chance to score 10) he never went passed 20 with his average.
gatting was a pretty good player of spin...and the delivery was a very good one, agreed that the "ball of the century" tag was just pure hype...

grecian

Hmm, I must admit I thought Gatting was a brilliant player of spin, he had a terrible last tour of India, but he was utterly gone by then, should never have been picked.

Migara

International Coach
When gatting was brilliant, he never faced up to Warne, Murali or Kumble in full flow. It was against Indian spinners who are regarded as not as good as Kumble. I still beleive that Gatting would have been opened like a can if he played Warne / Murali / Kumble post 2000 era. I can still remeber the look on his face when he got a doosra from Warnaweera which pitched on off and spun away taking the edge. Warnawwera's doosra was easy to pick, only the pace that he sending it was the problem. I can imagine him trying to pick Murali or Saqlain for that matter.

grecian

When gatting was brilliant, he never faced up to Warne, Murali or Kumble in full flow. It was against Indian spinners who are regarded as not as good as Kumble. I still beleive that Gatting would have been opened like a can if he played Warne / Murali / Kumble post 2000 era.
Hmm, well I believe he wouldn't of been, it's all conjecture really, and to call him "piss-poor player against spin", whilst admitting he did well at what he had to face, is a somewhat odd statement.

Just seems to me you wish to undervalue Warne's ball in anyway possible.

BTW "ball of the century", is a ridiculous overhype I'd agree. There are probably 100s of thousands of balls that have giving a batsman no chance of playing, and cleaned them up......

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A poorly defined law changed, isn't it good for cricket?
But there were other players whose careers were ruined because the law wasn't changed. Murali's wasn't, so the ICC should get credit for that - I mean, if you agree with the rule change.

Migara

International Coach
Hmm, well I believe he wouldn't of been, it's all conjecture really, and to call him "piss-poor player against spin", whilst admitting he did well at what he had to face, is a somewhat odd statement.

Just seems to me you wish to undervalue Warne's ball in anyway possible.

BTW "ball of the century", is a ridiculous overhype I'd agree. There are probably 100s of thousands of balls that have giving a batsman no chance of playing, and cleaned them up......
I have just typed that Warne's delivery to get Basil Ali is my favorite. SO I can't understand where I have undervalued Warne. There are much better deliveires by Warne to much better players of spin. That's it.