• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

inbox24

International Debutant
This commentary makes me feel ill. It was never this bad in the 90's. Ever since they've had Nicholas and Healy come on board, the commentary has down the toilet.

Even Michael Slater has regressed dramatically. He actually used to be a pretty good commentator and his commentary on Channel 4 in England and for Ten Sports in India and Sri Lanka was actually really insightful and entertaining.

I think it's the Healy and Taylor factor that has 'dumbed' down Slater. His commentary now is pretty woeful, just like the entire Channel 9 team.
Who can we replace them with though? There aren't many good TV commentators in Australia which is pretty bad.

profernity

U19 Debutant
Do NOT go to Sonny Shaw's website. I made the mistake of going to it once years ago and it was a whole lot of perverted rubbish.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Brayshaw's highlight is an Australian win in a dead rubber? Colour me shocked!!

Slater's highlight is Warner's slog? Colour me shocked!

Healy's highlight is Johnson's 7-fer? Colour me... you know the rest. And Healy throws back to "Nicho" with "two great performances from us". Who needs objectivity, eh?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Liking N McCullum more than Patel already for ODI's or T20s, strikes me as a cricketer that can think well on his feet

masterblaster

International Captain
Brayshaw's highlight is an Australian win in a dead rubber? Colour me shocked!!

Slater's highlight is Warner's slog? Colour me shocked!

Healy's highlight is Johnson's 7-fer? Colour me... you know the rest. And Healy throws back to "Nicho" with "two great performances from us". Who needs objectivity, eh?
Sky Sports England's team of Gower, Lloyd, Hussain, Botham, Atherton and Holding are officially the best television commentary team going around now following Channel 9's dramatic regression. Take Ian Botham out and add Harsha Bhogle and Ian Bishop to the mix and you've got a pretty good commentary box.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
IMO Mark Taylor's pretty good in the box. He's pretty bland but he's much better than the rest. His main problem is that he always gets stuck with Healy and Slater and their bull**** brings him down.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Who can we replace them with though? There aren't many good TV commentators in Australia which is pretty bad.
Haha, rubbish. So many blokes on Fox would do a much better job. Love Fox Commentary.

Nicholas is reminding me more and more of Jason Bateman in Dodgeball.
Haha, one of the best calls I've ever read on this site.

My hat is off to you Jacko.

Burgey

He seems to love Australia so much, I can't believe he's English. I guess it's looking after the people who are looking after you. Channel 9 are obviously playing him a large sum to stay in Australia, so I guess he's obliged to act the way he does. Was he always this bad when he commentated in England?
Slats has a breakfast radio show in Sydney. He was saying t'other day that in the commentary box they now call Nicholas "Smashing", in an OTT Austin Powers-type accent. Kind of suits him.

I think Nicholas has gone backwards tbh. I thought when he first joined he was OK (nothing flash, but OK). Now he's way OTT, like Healy or Ian Smith (to use two of any number of examples).

When Healy first started (talking really early doors in commentating) he offered some good insights into the workings of an international team, but he quickly went down hill. Tubby was a tactically brilliant skipper but conveys so little of that in his commentary. It's like they've all consciously decided to take any worthwhile analysis out of their work, and are all just trying to be "entertaining".

For all his jokes, etc. it's obvious Skull researches the players and offers some insight into the game. The TV guys just don't do that these days.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pasag and I were spot on about Siddle in the ODI. Let's hope he does it again tonight.

_Ed_

Haha, I didn't see the first ball but the way Nicholas reacted I thought something dramatic must have happened. But no, it was a play and miss.