• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be the natural replacement, would it not?

Wouldn't mind Davey batting down the order; really only converted to opening the past year or two. He's a very good player of spin, and if set could be super during the death overs or batting powerplay.
Who is going to bowl though?

The game is being played at the Gabba and if they leave it to Dussey and White, chances are they'll go for 60-80 off ten

That just isnt acceptable and particularly when White is batting at 7

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Who is going to bowl though?

The game is being played at the Gabba and if they leave it to Dussey and White, chances are they'll go for 60-80 off ten

That just isnt acceptable and particularly when White is batting at 7
Oh yeah, I'd personally agree. Hopes is good enough to bat 7; he's a better bat than Ian Harvey ever was, and they were happy to have Harvey at 7 in most of the matches that he played (from memory).

At the moment though, from what the selectors have shown, they'll pick Voges and rely on his part-time spin in conjunction with those mentioned above to get their 10 overs from.

social

Oh yeah, I'd personally agree. Hopes is good enough to bat 7; he's a better bat than Ian Harvey ever was, and they were happy to have Harvey at 7 in most of the matches that he played (from memory).

At the moment though, from what the selectors have shown, they'll pick Voges and rely on his part-time spin in conjunction with those mentioned above to get their 10 overs from.
Agree that that is the likely outcome

However, I'd replace Clarke with Siddle (to provide 5 front-line bowlers) and move White up to opener

I think it's time to see whether White has what it takes to bat up the order and he's doing very little down at 7

IMO, Hopes simply doesnt have the range of shots and is likely to bog the team down if he stays in for any length of time whilst the selection of Warner/Voges doesnt do too much for the batting and bugger all for the bowling

pasag

RTDAS
Agree that that is the likely outcome

However, I'd replace Clarke with Siddle (to provide 5 front-line bowlers) and move White up to opener

I think it's time to see whether White has what it takes to bat up the order and he's doing very little down at 7

IMO, Hopes simply doesnt have the range of shots and is likely to bog the team down if he stays in for any length of time whilst the selection of Warner/Voges doesnt do too much for the batting and bugger all for the bowling
Siddle should be a straight swap for Hilfenhaus, who's been useless.

pup11

International Coach
It think its very likely that they would open with Hopes and Haddin, and Voges would come into the side and they would try to squeeze out the 5th bowler's overs out of White/Voges/Dussey/Mussey.

Julian87

State Captain
There is no way that would happen. We'd be playing a batsman at number 8 that way.

As has been said, I'd bring in McGain or Hauritz and open with Hopes. They'll probably just play 5 seamers including Hopes though and rely on Dussey for some spin if need be.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Here's a revolutionary idea - pick 4 bowlers and an all-rounder 8-)
Yeah, there's no way we can afford to have Hopes as our fourth bowler if Clarke isn't playing IMO. Hussey and White bowling ten between them (minimum) would be ridiculous.

Johnners

It's for the T20 squad Cribbage ;)

Would've picked Reardon (has actually done something in T20) before him.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
The problem wasn't necessarily the start by NZ. It was more the fact that guys who had used up twenty overs to not go that quickly, then didn't go on and make a big score. Cardinal sin in ODI cricket. Even if they'd only lost one wicket after that, it would've been OK. The 3/17 lost them the game, not the start.
Exactly.

pup11

International Coach
Massive lol and facepalm.jpg
This....

I have a feeling they are gonna open with Henriques and Haddin, anyways great time to be a young and talented Aussie cricketer atm, because the selectors are gonna pick you in the Australian team, whether you deserve it or not is a whole different all together.