• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Harmison bowling at 80-82mph. WHY?
Looking portlier than I've ever seen him too. Not exactly a proper chubster, but he certainly looks to have "filled out" a tad.

Pleased we're bowling Fred into the ground as well. That's always a great idea. 27 overs & counting.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Harmison bowling at 80-82mph. WHY?
Because he looks nakered... as does everyone else on the pitch, Sidebottom and Broad are bowling at those speeds aswell, as is Flintoff on occasions. You can't expect Harmison to steam in at 85-90mph every delivery... and it doesn't help that the whole game is going slowly aswell.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Urgh. He's meant to be a fast bowler. He's bowled 17 overs out of 126. That's not a particularly heavy workload. And it's not as though his pace is falling as the innings goes on - he's been bowling medium pace all day.

I think this may be a slow-ish speedgun. But he's capable of bowling 10mph quicker than this and I don't know why he just can't (or won't) do it sometimes.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Urgh. He's meant to be a fast bowler. He's bowled 17 overs out of 126. That's not a particularly heavy workload. And it's not as though his pace is falling as the innings goes on - he's been bowling medium pace all day.

I think this may be a slow-ish speedgun. But he's capable of bowling 10mph quicker than this and I don't know why he just can't (or won't) do it sometimes.
Because he's ****e.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm starting to think that maybe it is that simple. I am frankly fed up of waiting for the return of this almost mythical Harmison. He is not an awful bowler even now but I don't think he should be in the side.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's not that simple. And it's incredibly frustrating.
I don't think I've ever seen a sportsman have so many excuses made for such a continual lack of performance as Steve Harmison.

A look at his Test career reveals a fantastic purple patch in 2004, general direness away from home, and the occasional great performance (Old Trafford 2006), combined with plenty of mediocrity.

When Harmison is good, he's very very good, I'll give him that, but for the majority of his international career he's struggled to rise above mediocrity.

Pothas

As a Monty fan I am very relieved right now, I know it's just one wicket but he must have bowled an awful lot of balls now without a wicket.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think I've ever seen a sportsman have so many excuses made for such a continual lack of performance as Steve Harmison.

A look at his Test career reveals a fantastic purple patch in 2004, general direness away from home, and the occasional great performance (Old Trafford 2006), combined with plenty of mediocrity.

When Harmison is good, he's very very good, I'll give him that, but for the majority of his international career he's struggled to rise above mediocrity.
I don't disagree with any of this. And I'm not seeking excuses for him. I just don't know how he can be so damn good - and quick - and then so damn mediocre - and medium pace.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Although Harmo's pace has been surprisingly low in this test thus far. But these WI surfaces for a the last few have become as flat as sub-continental pitches & even Harmo @ his best wouldn't be expected to get much out of such decks.

So i don't think we should be all down on him so soon after his Oval comeback, given the surfaces he has played in test since.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Although Harmo's pace has been surprisingly low in this test thus far. But these WI surfaces for a the last few have become as flat as sub-continental pitches & even Harmo @ his best wouldn't be expected to get much out of such decks.

So i don't think we should be all down on him so soon after his Oval comeback, given the surfaces he has played in test since.
Regardless of the pitch, he's inevitably going to be a massively diminished bowler at 80mph than at 92mph.

Scaly piscine

Would imagine all the seamers are cutting down on pace to concentrate more on accuracy, that's usually what happens on a slow pitch.

Not sure what people expect Harmison to do on a pitch which works completely against his normal game.

Congrats to Panesar on taking a wicket before bringing the hundred up.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
His job as the team quickie (Harmison) at the very least is to push at the high 80s if not low 90mph consisitently and if there is not much purchase in the pitch then there are means to remedy that. However if TMS is right he wont even do the former leave alone the latter.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would imagine all the seamers are cutting down on pace to concentrate more on accuracy, that's usually what happens on a slow pitch.

Not sure what people expect Harmison to do on a pitch which works completely against his normal game.

Congrats to Panesar on taking a wicket before bringing the hundred up.
If he cuts pace he shouldnt be selected.

There are better 80 mph bowlers around.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And the thing with Harmison is that if he were to be discarded, I could script the next 6 months of his career:

Goes back to Durham.
Starts ok in the County Championship.
England win Test Series vs West Indies unconvincingly. At least one member of the Sky commentary team in the 2nd Test will bemoan the lack of Harmison.
Starts finding his rhythm bowling for Durham.
England lose 1st Ashes Test, with Harmison simultaneously taking near career best figures.
Harmison bowls consistently at 90+mph in a televised County 1 dayer. His actual bowling performance will be irrelevant.
The phrase "Harmison needs to be bowling plenty of overs to find his rhythm" will be heard, probably from Nasser Hussain.
England lose 2nd Ashes Test, with one member of the pace attack bowling at c. 80mph, taking match figures of 1-150.
Harmison is recalled for the 3rd Test. Bowls an excellent first spell, taking 2 key wickets. Rest of his match performance is average. Proclamations of Harmison being "back to his best."
Does little with the ball in the remaining 2 Tests, save for 2 glorious fast yorkers.
Bowls suprisingly well in the ODI series, largely because the Aussies are knackered from their international schedule, and still drunk from the post Ashes victory party. Sky commentary team remind us that this is why Harmison is so vital to the team.
Starts well, and fades in the Champions Trophy.
Has dreadful start in first tour game in South Africa. Goes wicketless, leaks runs at 3-4 an over. Continues dreadful form into first 2 Tests.
Harmison's place in England squad is again questioned.
Dropped for final test, amid rumours of the selectors losing patience.

And so on, and so forth.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

I don't care what the pitch is like, if there's an out-and-out quick bowler in the team I want him bowling quick. Unless they're a Marshall or a Lillee and are able to get some lateral movement which Harmison doesn't really do.

And I don't think this is deliberate on Harmison's part because he does it more often than not these days. And if he's not able to bowl fast he doesn't deserve a place in the team.

Scaly piscine

If he cuts pace he shouldnt be selected.

There are better 80 mph bowlers around.
I'll repeat again because you apparently didn't bother to read anything.

Seamers usually cut down on pace to concentrate on accuracy when it's a slow pitch.