• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe one Ashes series has tainted your memory, but England competing at all with Australia, home or away, is a pretty immense achievement. :p
:laugh: Fair call.

An Australia team as bad as their current one is beyond my living memory, though. And that's not because this one is bad.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Regarding the controversy, I don't expect it to make them much worse. They lost a coach with a rotten record, and Strauss is a miles better captain than KP. Absolutely miles better. If the controversy is a distraction, it'll be more than cancelled out by having the, err, best captain in their team as captain.

What is it that makes you think Chris Gayle is more talented than Alastair Cook, or Fidel Edwards more talented than Jimmy Anderson? There's nothing in their respective records to suggest that's the case. Actually, I can barely imagine how much excitement there would be if Cook was West Indian.

West Indies to win the ODIs though.

Also- just to add something- so what if Flintoff gets injured? He'll be replaced by Owais Shah, a top-order batsman who would walk into the West Indian side. What if Sidebottom gets injured? Jimmy Anderson comes in, a superior bowler to everyone the Windies have to choose from bar Taylor. Remember what he did to New Zealand? :ph34r: Having their star players available will be a massive plus, but if they get injured, England should still have more than enough firepower to win this series.
I'd say Edwards is a very talented bowler and would cite his recent record. Yet besides that I'd say it because of how he has actually played the game. He's always looking for a wicket, and he knows where he is putting the ball. He doesn't just seem to be throwing it in as hard as he can anymore.

Chris Gayle is probably the worlds greatest ball striker. In Test match cricket this matters for less, but Gayle can change the course of a match while Cook is more one dimensional though undoubtedly a good player.

England should win the series but it isn't like West Indies don't have a chance. Nor is it like they don't have a decent chance.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anderson paying 19.50 to take man of the match. He may not be the most consistent player of all time but he's certainly capable of putting in an awesome performance so I think that's pretty generous. It's also worth noting that they'll refund your money if he doesn't play, so it's not like the likelihood of him being left out has been factored into that price.

To put this into perspective, Daren Powell is only paying 21.00..

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well Flintoff breaks down at the drop of a hat, and Sidebottom is returning from injury. England's two best bowlers while they should be fit may not be. I hope they are though, great players.
I must have missed what Sidebottom has done to be called 'great'. His test bowling average is over 40 when you only count performances against good test outfits (countdown until someone mentions Sri Lankan tour and catches dropped...).

Don't get me wrong he is a good bowler but a great he isn't.

Uppercut

I'd say Edwards is a very talented bowler and would cite his recent record. Yet besides that I'd say it because of how he has actually played the game. He's always looking for a wicket, and he knows where he is putting the ball. He doesn't just seem to be throwing it in as hard as he can anymore.
Edwards has been a good player recently though. I'd agree with you about how well he's played lately- I've been much impressed over the past year- he just isn't as good as Jimmy Andeson. I've never seen Edwards rip a team apart for absolutely nothing the way Anderson does, and his FC record is miles better too. Which comes back to the point about double standards- an encouraging Caribbean bowler is a frustrating English one.

Uppercut

I must have missed what Sidebottom has done to be called 'great'. His test bowling average is over 40 when you only count performances against good test outfits (countdown until someone mentions Sri Lankan tour and catches dropped...).

For the purposes of this tour, his record against "good test outfits" is irrelevant :p

Athlai

Not Terrible

I said great player hardly implying he is an all time great.

At the moment he is Englands best bowler other than Flintoff, not sure many could deny that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Edwards has been a good player recently though. I'd agree with you about how well he's played lately- I've been much impressed over the past year- he just isn't as good as Jimmy Andeson. I've never seen Edwards rip a team apart for absolutely nothing the way Anderson does, and his FC record is miles better too. Which comes back to the point about double standards- an encouraging Caribbean bowler is a frustrating English one.
His hamy usually gives way before he has any chance. It will be some effort if Fidel makes it through the test series.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think Anderson is a hit and miss player. He has brilliant days and sometimes he plays a pretty good impersonation of Powell.

Uppercut

I think Anderson is a hit and miss player. He has brilliant days and sometimes he plays a pretty good impersonation of Powell.
Yeah, absolutely. Edwards is too though. They're quite similar, but Anderson's definitely better for mine.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, absolutely. Edwards is too though. They're quite similar, but Anderson's definitely better for mine.
I'd day Edwards has been a bit more consistent as of late. Though he certainly has his off days. The guy has been excellent in recent times and I'm hoping for a big series against England.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd day Edwards has been a bit more consistent as of late.
Anderson's really improved his consistency as far as Tests go, lately. Edwards has a bit as well but not to the extent of Jimmy, IMO.

The fact that this improvement has coincided with Anderson getting absolutely pasted around the park every time he plays an ODI clouds people's judgment on the issue IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Which comes back to the point about double standards- an encouraging Caribbean bowler is a frustrating English one.
It's not a double standard really. It's a realization of two distinct standards. In the English game, Anderson is a frustrating bowler. In the significantly less staffed West Indian game, Edwards is quite encouraging.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
I said great player hardly implying he is an all time great.

At the moment he is Englands best bowler other than Flintoff, not sure many could deny that.
I could, he's good at best. But a handy asset for england non the less, there are never too many left armers knocking around. West Indies looked to have a decent one in Pedro Collins, not entirely sure were he went though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not a double standard really. It's a realization of two distinct standards. In the English game, Anderson is a frustrating bowler. In the significantly less staffed West Indian game, Edwards is quite encouraging.
I think Uppercut's point is that the different ways of looking of similar players depending on the context of the team they are playing for gives people a tainted perspective on the actual quality of said team.

We'd automatically class "encouraging" as a more positive immediate thought than "frustrating" when trying to evaluate the sum of all the parts, even though the likely and potential output of those two players could be the same depending on which system they're coming from.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Anderson's really improved his consistency as far as Tests go, lately. Edwards has a bit as well but not to the extent of Jimmy, IMO.

The fact that this improvement has coincided with Anderson getting absolutely pasted around the park every time he plays an ODI clouds people's judgment on the issue IMO.
Na I think of him in Tests, where he bowls pies and looks nonthreatening for 4 days and has 1 absolutely fantastic spell... :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Na I think of him in Tests, where he bowls pies and looks nonthreatening for 4 days and has 1 absolutely fantastic spell... :p
He hasn't really done that lately though, barring the one game in New Zealand which followed exactly that storeline. :p