• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Totally, totally off the point but I've seen posts from you at like 4:30am and like 6am, what kinds of hours do you keep... uni must suck!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
James Franklin is a left arm medium pacer and Gayle seemed to handle him O.K, not saying Gayle will find it easy but he is turning a corner and Sidebottom not being at full fitness should be a factor to consider.
Franklin was short of a gallop though and was frankly bowling pies. I reckon a fully-fit Franklin would have Gayle for breakfast more often than not.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
James Franklin is a left arm medium pacer and Gayle seemed to handle him O.K, not saying Gayle will find it easy but he is turning a corner and Sidebottom not being at full fitness should be a factor to consider.
James Franklin bowled horribly, though.

Anyway, Colin Croft on cricinfo thinks the complete opposite from me, that the Windies are underrated and England are overrated. Hum.

Uppercut

Totally, totally off the point but I've seen posts from you at like 4:30am and like 6am, what kinds of hours do you keep... uni must suck!
I tend to use the internet a bit before I sleep. If I'm posting at 4 in the morning it's a sign that I've had a good night.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
James Franklin bowled horribly, though.

Anyway, Colin Croft on cricinfo thinks the complete opposite from me, that the Windies are underrated and England are overrated. Hum.
I actually hate Colin Croft, the amount of rubbish he chats annoys me no end. Every view he has the actual view is the exact opposite, he was an idiot when he played for the Windies and an idiot now, has an even more warped view on Windies cricket than Bob Willis.

Yeah Franklin wasn't on form but I am backing my man... suppose we'll have to see tomorrow

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Excited about the start, will catch the first session on cricinfo at work and then hopefully get home for the start of the afternoon session.

Would love to see a Gayle century, as long as England bowl them out for 180 with Gayle carrying his bat. Hope Jimmy plays

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Did I just hear correctly that Prior wont be playing as he has flown home for the birth of his child with Ambrose back in?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Taking away his naturally biased opinion he does have a point to some extent. West Indies, as have been discussed were pretty competitive against Australia and I can see Taylor and Edwards presenting real problems for the English top order. I think it could really boil down to how well the Windies bat and if there's sufficient support for Chanderpaul.

Uppercut

Taking away his naturally biased opinion he does have a point to some extent. West Indies, as have been discussed were pretty competitive against Australia and I can see Taylor and Edwards presenting real problems for the English top order. I think it could really boil down to how well the Windies bat and if there's sufficient support for Chanderpaul.
As you may have guessed, I don't agree.

I think too much is made of the West Indies being competitive against Australia while losing 2-0. If England lost a home series to that Australia side 2-0 in the manner the West Indies did noone would say "they were pretty competitive against Australia!" in the lead-up to a future series. It's just another example of the double-standards used to judge the respective teams.

Uppercut

That's probably because England are quite rightly a better test side than the West Indies.
Which is why i think West Indies have less of a chance than is widely thought :)

I don't say this as an England fan, just to clear that up, because I've been mistaken for one on here a bit. The main reason I'm supporting them here is for my bank balance and general dignity.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Which is why i think West Indies have less of a chance than is widely thought :)

I don't say this as an England fan, just to clear that up, because I've been mistaken for one on here a bit. The main reason I'm supporting them here is for my bank balance and general dignity.
Mate I have to disagree, an English side thats best players have been plagued with injury or controversy. A leadership change, and full of little holes. Meanwhile you have a team with some immensely talented players with a much more solid lead up than England.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well would have to slightly disagree there, just about think this is a full-strength England team seeing as Flintoff has been passed fit.

Uppercut

Mate I have to disagree, an English side thats best players have been plagued with injury or controversy. A leadership change, and full of little holes. Meanwhile you have a team with some immensely talented players with a much more solid lead up than England.
Regarding the controversy, I don't expect it to make them much worse. They lost a coach with a rotten record, and Strauss is a miles better captain than KP. Absolutely miles better. If the controversy is a distraction, it'll be more than cancelled out by having the, err, best captain in their team as captain.

What is it that makes you think Chris Gayle is more talented than Alastair Cook, or Fidel Edwards more talented than Jimmy Anderson? There's nothing in their respective records to suggest that's the case. Actually, I can barely imagine how much excitement there would be if Cook was West Indian.

West Indies to win the ODIs though.

Also- just to add something- so what if Flintoff gets injured? He'll be replaced by Owais Shah, a top-order batsman who would walk into the West Indian side. What if Sidebottom gets injured? Jimmy Anderson comes in, a superior bowler to everyone the Windies have to choose from bar Taylor. Remember what he did to New Zealand? :ph34r: Having their star players available will be a massive plus, but if they get injured, England should still have more than enough firepower to win this series.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think too much is made of the West Indies being competitive against Australia while losing 2-0. If England lost a home series to that Australia side 2-0 in the manner the West Indies did noone would say "they were pretty competitive against Australia!" in the lead-up to a future series. It's just another example of the double-standards used to judge the respective teams.
Maybe one Ashes series has tainted your memory, but England competing at all with Australia, home or away, is a pretty immense achievement. :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well would have to slightly disagree there, just about think this is a full-strength England team seeing as Flintoff has been passed fit.
Well Flintoff breaks down at the drop of a hat, and Sidebottom is returning from injury. England's two best bowlers while they should be fit may not be. I hope they are though, great players.