• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not a bad selection in that NZ will have very little idea how he plays, there's the element of surprise. So we can't really set a plan for him.

It worked for George Bailey in the PM XI game.
Ferguson played in the PM XI game and made 30 odd :p

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
:naughty:??

Notched his maiden OD ton this season. Prior to this season, he's been the sort of batsmen who makes an awesome looking 30-40, then gets out. Has been having a good season though, and converted a few more of those starts in both forms of the game.
here* :@

Ahh, OK then. Sounds like the type of player that comes out of the blue to haunt NZ. I hope not.

Voges, haven't heard his name mentioned since last time he played us, assumed he was off the radar.

social

here* :@

Ahh, OK then. Sounds like the type of player that comes out of the blue to haunt NZ. I hope not.

Voges, haven't heard his name mentioned since last time he played us, assumed he was off the radar.
Was a dismal failure for Australia A in the off-season and has averaged a whopping 26 in fc cricket this season

His selection is a total joke

Johnners

He's consistently been one of the best batsmen in the FR Cup though, which is what should count for ODI selection.

Redbacks

International Captain
Ferguson has made 302 @ 43.14 in FR cup with 2-50's and 1-100

and 576 @ 48 in the Shield including his 100 today.

A good season but should have been required to back it up next year before getting a call up given the nature of SA batsmen to play well enough to keep a contract every second year.

social

He's consistently been one of the best batsmen in the FR Cup though, which is what should count for ODI selection.
He is almost guaranteed to be filling the roe of late order slogger and part-time bowler

Gee, that's exactly what we need - another bits and pieces players

It's as if the Oz selectors have stolen the English ODI strategy book

NEWS FLASH MORONS, ENGLAND ARE GENERALLY **** IN ODIS

Johnners

He is almost guaranteed to be filling the roe of late order slogger and part-time bowler

Gee, that's exactly what we need - another bits and pieces players

It's as if the Oz selectors have stolen the English ODI strategy book

NEWS FLASH MORONS, ENGLAND ARE GENERALLY **** IN ODIS
Voges is a better batsmen than just "another bits and pieces player" afaic.

pup11

International Coach
Changes to Aussie squad

Top of the order looking like a total joke. No doubt Clarke will open and get out for a first ball duck. Katich should be there.
I doubt it, Hopes to open imo, but yeah with Marsh and Ponting both gone the top-order looks very brittle, and Clarke ain't in the best of form either.

Ferguson no doubt is a talented batsman and this he is starting to get some consistency going but its shocking that he has been picked in the Australian squad, although i am sure he won't be picked in the XI, but his selection is a stinging blow to international aspirations of likes of North, Klinger and Hodge (eventhough he is injured, i still doubt he would have been picked, even if he was fit).

Voges' selection might not be as poor as Ferguson's but its still pretty dire, i guess this group of selectors have a thing for picking younger blokes, but surely you can't ignore better performing players just because of their age.

These two selections also suggest that the current selectors are only going by the very recent performances, because both Voges and Ferguson played good knocks in their recent SS games, but their overall record this season doesn't match up to the likes of North, Klinger and Hodge.

stephen

And you are misunderstanding as well. No conspiracy, just that isn't being entirely truthful about the 100% thing.

There is nothing wrong with looking at reactions, I feel. Haddin showed doubt, heck, look at this video at about 17-18secs you can see Clarke actually asking Haddin for confirmation, so even he had doubt.

Yet you say that at real time there was no doubt?
Clarke is playing at real time.
Haddin is playing at real time.
Broom is playing at real time.

Only Haddin was 100% sure. :blink:
I watched the video thoroughly.

Are you sure that Clarke is not telling the batsman that "you're out"? It's very hard to tell with the camera angles in play who he was talking to. All the fielders certainly went up quickly including Clarke. Also because of the way that Haddin's hands moved it really looked bowled in real time.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voges seemed to be a pretty clean hitter when he played in the series over here, maybe he's there to do a Morkel-ish role in the batting powerplay?

Redbacks

International Captain
Well maybe they think it's time to throw Ferguson in the deep end and see if he can swim. Something suggests the selectors have big hopes for Hughes and thus will not mess around with his selection like they have been with other players recently. If he was selected and plays well he would be on the boat for RSA and the Ashes which is not the right thing to do.

Conversely if Ferguson or Voges fail, it's not such an issue, they should have the maturity to cope with the pressure.