• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

inbox24

International Debutant
I think it's pretty obvious why they rested Ponting, because they want him to be fit and firing for the IPL in April. He had a shocking run last year and needs some performances to retain his high salary. This move is sensible because money, early retirement from a team getting more and more dire by the game definitely beats playing for Australia again. Added to that he doesn't want his good captaincy record to be tarnished in the coming years.

It's a win win situation really.

biased indian

International Coach
I think it's pretty obvious why they rested Ponting, because they want him to be fit and firing for the IPL in April. He had a shocking run last year and needs some performances to retain his high salary. This move is sensible because money, early retirement from a team getting more and more dire by the game definitely beats playing for Australia again. Added to that he doesn't want his good captaincy record to be tarnished in the coming years.

:)

Precambrian

Banned

Cheer up. Often unheralded sides have done the unthinkable, and who knows, Aus might just turn the tables on SA late this summer.

Polo23

International Debutant
I reckon Ponting is being rested because:

1. You can tell how stressed he looks. He can't handle his team losing so often and doesnt know what to do.

2. They want to try someone else out in the captaincy role before they give him the boot.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I can't believe what Haddin has come out and said in the media...unbelievable.

Agreed. I can't believe this little ****. Has obviously grown up in a culture of winning and has become a spoilt little **** that can't handle losing to a better team.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do the selectors even watch games? We've just lost 4 games in a row. It would make sense to pick the in form player of the FRC. I mean if they're thinking about selecting a 36 year old for the test matches, why can't a 33 year old play the ODIs. He'd almost be one of the younger players in the side.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I can't believe what Haddin has come out and said in the media...unbelievable.
Fully agree. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt before. But now this nonsensical and completely hypocritical tirade has led me to take a deep and I believe permanent dislike to him.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
:naughty:??

Notched his maiden OD ton this season. Prior to this season, he's been the sort of batsmen who makes an awesome looking 30-40, then gets out. Has been having a good season though, and converted a few more of those starts in both forms of the game.
In the Aus off season. He played english cricket and broke the record for most runs scored in a season or something similar to that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, Haddin's always come across as a bit of a knob.

Look, I think the choice of words by Vettori was very "political". He alluded to the idea that Haddin did it deliberately. However, Ponting and Haddin have seen red, and again it feels as though we're in Pamplona.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In the Aus off season. He played english cricket and broke the record for most runs scored in a season or something similar to that.
You'd hope that a player of his class would head over to League cricket in England and do something like that.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like your attempt to do what you can to downplay what was blatant cheating by the aussies though. :dry:

Anyone know if Haddin's being investigated for bringing the game into disrepute ?

Hopefully he's banned for 2-3 games at least
:huh:

What a crock of ****. I just watched the youtube clip of this and it sounds like the ball hit the stump to me...unless Haddins gloves are hard enough to make a sound similar. Obviously, the issue is that his gloves were infront of the stumps and may well have clipped the bails before the ball hits, which they shouldn't have been...but 'blatant cheating'. I think you're gripping too tightly.

If he deliberately bumped the stump with his hand or knee and then appealed THAT would be blatant cheating. Anyone sound of mind can see he's not sure...but isn't it possible he assumed it was ok when the square leg umpire didn't do anything about it? I don't know how anyone can say he'd know exactly what happened when he's preparing to collect the ball at around the same time it comes into contact with the wicket. How would he know whether he hit the bail with his glove, or the bail hit his glove after being dislodged by the ball?

Sorry for coming in and trying to talk little bit of sense...I'll let you get back to the hysterics and name-calling now. :sleep: