• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's ODI squad

pup11

International Coach
Would like to change my team slightly.
1 Hopes
2 Katich
3 Ponting
4 Clarke
5 M Hussey
6 D Hussey
7 Haddin
8 Johnson
9 Hauritz
10 Bracken
11 Tait

12 Siddle
13 Voges/North
14 Hilfenhaus

I don't think Marsh's form warrants a position at the top of the order [despite me saying otherwise on page 1] and now that Tait is back he really gives the side a bit of an X factor.

It wouldn't phase me if the selectors opted with Hughes instead of Katich, however I think Hughes would benefit a little bit more from playing Shield Cricket instead of playing ODIs.
I agree with you that Marsh has been in shocking form, but if they can send him to India as the reserve batsman despite that, then can't see them dropping him from the ODI team just yet, if Hayden doesn't retire, then i can see him and Hayden opening in the ODI games against South Africa, its debatable whether that's right or wrong, but i have a feeling that's what's gonna evetually happen.

Corbin

School Boy/Girl Captain
Watched Tait in the T20 last night and his fitness looked good. Bowled an attacking four overs and got through it without breaking down! :p

Bring him into the ODI side ASAP I reckon. Need to replace Lee whilst he is out somehow

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Best temporary option ATM IMO:

Marsh
Clarke
Ponting
Hodge
D Hussey
M Hussey
Haddin
Hauritz
Johnson
Bracken
Tait

Hopes, Siddle, White, Warner, North, Hilfenhaus/Bollinger as the potential back-ups.

Hope Johnson gets a break for a few games.

inbox24

International Debutant

Marsh
Clarke
Ponting
Hodge
D Hussey
M Hussey
Haddin
Hauritz
Johnson
Bracken
Tait

Hopes, Siddle, White, Warner, North, Hilfenhaus/Bollinger as the potential back-ups.

DWTA

1. Marsh is completely out of form at the moment, doesn't seem like a long term option despite his hype.

2. Clarke opening is quite bad, he's more a middle overs man nudging the singles and rotating the strike.

3. Rest Ponting

4. Hodge has no future despite recent form.

5. Haurific idea

6. Rest Johnson

We definitely should have Hilfenhaus in the bowling to utilise his ball bending abilities, should trouble all the batsmen. Also we should try the wild card combination of Warner and Hughes at the top as both are in top form and striking the ball beautifully. It should be preparation to maybe launch them into the ODIs. This is my team:

Warner
Hughes
Clarke
D. Hussey
Pomersbach
M. Hussey
Haddin
Bracken
Siddle
Krejza?
Tait

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
DWTA

1. Marsh is completely out of form at the moment, doesn't seem like a long term option despite his hype.

2. Clarke opening is quite bad, he's more a middle overs man nudging the singles and rotating the strike.

3. Rest Ponting

4. Hodge has no future despite recent form.

5. Haurific idea

6. Rest Johnson

We definitely should have Hilfenhaus in the bowling to utilise his ball bending abilities, should trouble all the batsmen. Also we should try the wild card combination of Warner and Hughes at the top as both are in top form and striking the ball beautifully. It should be preparation to maybe launch them into the ODIs. This is my team:

Warner
Hughes
Clarke
D. Hussey
Pomersbach
M. Hussey
Haddin
Bracken
Siddle
Krejza?
Tait
Deadset, how old are you? Eight? Warner's played like three good knocks in his career, you mentioned Hilfy, then he's not in your side, you talk about not picking Marsh because he's out of form and you pick Pomersbach, Mussey at six is interesting to say the least, Clarke's efforts at three are worse than when he opens and you want to rest half the team for a crucial ODI series. Stop posting, probably forever.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, Pomersbach. He's averaging about 7 this season in one day cricket for WA and not much more than that in his career.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Deadset, how old are you? Eight? Warner's played like three good knocks in his career, you mentioned Hilfy, then he's not in your side, you talk about not picking Marsh because he's out of form and you pick Pomersbach, Mussey at six is interesting to say the least, Clarke's efforts at three are worse than when he opens and you want to rest half the team for a crucial ODI series. Stop posting, probably forever.
:laugh: AWTA

pup11

International Coach

Marsh
Hopes
Ponting
Clarke
M Hussey
D Hussey
Haddin
Hauritz
Bracken
Hilfenhaus
Tait

I think that should be the side, no point in promoting Clarke to open considering how good he is in the middle order and how piss poor he is while opening the innings, Hopes is a handy ODI cricketer, has been doing decently enough for the Bulls this season, so he should open the innings.

Johnson needs a break and Hilfenhaus should come in for him, and there is no way Warner should even be considered for the ODI games just yet, he should first play a whole season of domestic cricket, if Ponting is rested too, then i might think of picking White and sending him in to bat at 3, normally Hodge comes into the side in case Ponting doesn't play, but White is better long term option than Hodge imo, so he should be picked.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The funny thing is that Aussie's team was a ODI team and Inbox has knocked his team and selected a Twenty20 team as he said Warner and Hughes were picked for preparation into the ODI side.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey & Voges surely must both get gametime during the ODI series, both are again having very good Ford Ranger Cup seasons.

pasag

RTDAS

Marsh
Clarke
Ponting
Hodge
D Hussey
M Hussey
Haddin
Hauritz
Johnson
Bracken
Tait

If Johnson doesn't play in the Twenty20s there's enough time for rest before the ODIs

inbox24

International Debutant
Yeah probably should have read that before I posted. It was more a Twenty20 team I posted so I guess it would be good to get a look at Hughes and Warner and give them a run considering their domestic form. As it stands Clarke has been rested for the T20 and Warner included.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Hussey & Voges surely must both get gametime during the ODI series, both are again having very good Ford Ranger Cup seasons.
agreed.

Hughes is also a must.

If he's not in pen at the top of the order SURELY he's at least pencilled in???

Marsh over Hughes (as per most posters) is madness...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Official Twenty 20 squad
R. Ponting (c): TAS, 34
M. Hussey (vc): WA, 33
D. Hussey: VIC, 31
B. Hilfenhaus: TAS, 25
J. Hopes: QLD, 30
N. Bracken: NSW, 31
B. Haddin: NSW, 31
S. Marsh: WA, 25
S. Tait: SA, 25