• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's ODI squad

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Season is about three quarters over but I take your point.

I think it's more reasonable to expect a ton to be scored by the player each season in the context of English cricket as they play more games - it'd probably make more sense to change that to "at least one century in either season" for the Australian system. I still think it's pretty important to score a ton though and reasonable to expect it over the course of two seasons. It also removes anomolies like Nathan Hauritz making the cut, like he would have in 2007/08.

Changing the criteria to "at least one century in either season", though, you get:

Brad Hodge
David Hussey
Michael Dighton

James Hopes is actually ridiculous close - he made the cut last season (including the ton) and is averaging 34.16 this season at a strike rate of 95.
Cheers for that.

Hopes is interesting, at the start of the year I was thinking that he would find it hard to crack the Australia ODI XI, but I think especially with the injuries he'll be there for sure.

Any players from WA close to making it? Adam Voges perhaps?

Rant0r

International 12th Man
i wish, voges seems a fair way down the pecking order now with the hussey love going on

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Getting rid of the hundreds criteria altogether would leave you with:

Brad Hodge
David Hussey
Michael Dighton
Rob Quiney
Travis Birt

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Out of interest, why the hell doesn't Hodge ever play?
i think he has a personality disorder, maybe he doesn't get in on the cuddle party going on with roy and punter

Totally disagree with that.

Haddin is definitely not suited to opening, we should resort to standard openers.
The bowling attack should only consist of the following bowlers at this time:

Hilfenhaus
Bracken
Johnson

and maybe Haurtiz and Tait, if the latter gets back into form again. Any of the other mentioned above are not true bowlers, i.e. White, or not suited to ODIs, i.e. Noffke or Siddle. Originally I would have not supported Hopes' inclusion either, but considering Watson is out for 6 months he'll probably have to do.

Would like to see Hayden retire after Sydney, I mean even if he does have something to offer, we should be looking to blood now. I've also never figured why they moved Clarke to 4, because 3 and 4 you need your best batsmen and Clarke's more of a middle overs man pushing the ball around keeping the clock ticking over. I would have Symonds at 4 or in his absence, David Hussey at 4.

Hopes
Marsh
Ponting
D. Hussey
Clarke
M. Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Bracken
Hilfenhaus
Tait

12th: Hauritz
are you for real ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cheers for that.

Hopes is interesting, at the start of the year I was thinking that he would find it hard to crack the Australia ODI XI, but I think especially with the injuries he'll be there for sure.

Any players from WA close to making it? Adam Voges perhaps?
Voges's strike rate is too low - 70 this season, 75 last season.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
he must have gone downhill eh, not being able to watch any domestic cricket i don't know, but he was striking at near 90 a couple of years ago

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
he must have gone downhill eh, not being able to watch any domestic cricket i don't know, but he was striking at near 90 a couple of years ago
It's just his role for WA these days, I think. They have so many attacking strokeplayers that they need someone to try and bat through a bit. This was even more true when they had Luke Ronchi opening. Voges is capable of scoring much more quickly; it just hasn't been his role in the last couple of seasons.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It'll be interesting to see what the score is when Voges comes out to bat in the majority of the innings he's played in the past few years..

I think he's often come in with another batsman new to crease, so he needs to rebuild the innings a bit.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
perhaps he's batting with less freedom as he develops his fc game, that big hundred he made of 60 odd balls was before he was settled in the fc arena

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah possibly.

He's an interesting case Voges. Remember the time he was 12th man in the WACA Test? Things could have been way different if he was selected to play that day.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have the third most posts in this thread, yet I haven't named a squad yet. :p

1. Hopes
2. Marsh
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. M Hussey
6. D Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Heal
10. Bracken
11. Tait (pending fitness)

12. Hodge
13. Siddle
14. North

The best bowler at domestic one day level in the past two seasons statistically has actually been Chris Swann, but he has about as much chance of getting picked as I do. Harwood's been a close second but again, no realistic chance at all of getting picked. I don't really think Siddle should be picked, but the reality of the matter is that he will be.

Heal has similarly little chance of getting picked ahead of Hauritz, but he's my pick. He's thoroughly outperformed Hauritz in domestic one day cricket over the last two seasons, even if you take into account the fact that Hauritz was pretty unlucky last season, and I generally just think he's a better overall bowler.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
spose that means i should as well

marsh
hopes
ponting
clarke
hussey
hussey
haddin
johnson
hauritz
bracken
hilfenhaus

magoffin
katich (i still think he's an option in ODI's if hopes fails)
nannes

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I hope Klinger gets a chance to open the batting for Australia. Katich is probably a better option, but we need him for NSW. The likes of Hughes, Warner and others aren't ready. Hopes will get owned as an opener, very limited batsmen and just dominates average domestic attacks.

Dighton and maybe Quiney are ok options, but Klinger is a class above.

EDIT:

My squad ftr

Katich (Klinger)
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Hopes
Johnson
Hauritz
Bracken
Bollinger (Siddle)

D Hussey
White
Hilfenhaus (Siddle)

I would like Bollinger and Katich not play so they play for a decent side but I can't see that happening. Siddle will play as he is seen as the one of next big things for some reason, probably cus he 23, not cus he is any good. Would rather Hilf or Geeves ahead of him, but unlikely.

Last edited:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
siddle will probably get a gig simply because he is their new project and they want him to have a bowl at the top level as much as possible, like they did with johnson. as opposed to years gone by of doing an apprenticeship in the shield.

i'd love to see noffke in there in either format, the guys has walked under a few ladders. especially surprised since he is from qld that he hasn't been given much of a look in. but i think merv wants to make sweet moustache love to siddle

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Squads, eh.

Hopes
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
M. Hussey
D. Hussey
Haddin+
Johnson
Hauritz
Bracken
Tait (if fit, not sure on his status at the moment.)

Don't care about the rest, it's at home, they'll change every 5 minutes. I honestly think they'll pick Tait (if fit). He's been pretty good every time I've seen him this year, he has a tremendous ODI record and the selectors (rightly or wrongly) see him as a like-for-like with Lee in 50 over cricket.

People have been saying Klinger hasn't been good enough for long enough, and fair enough (enough lol), but he hasn't just had any old 2/3rds of a season. He's been a thousand times better than nearly every opponent he's played. The only times I've actually seen him get out this season were when Shaun Marsh jumped halfway across the world to catch him at backward point and when Umar Gul bowled one of the best balls of the season. He deserves a shot and it should be in ODI cricket, because he's been very good there for a few seasons now.

pup11

International Coach
I think there is also a case for the selectors to think of picking slightly different ODI and test, because for a while now Australia have been playing with almost identical ODI and test sides, i think there is no harm in giving likes of Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, Klinger, Hughes, etc a run in a few ODI games to see where exactly they stand in international cricket, it would also ease the workload on players who are constantly involved in all three form of the game.

Julian87

State Captain
Yeah, I agree with this strongly.

Haddin might be a better opening batsman than Hopes (IMO he isn't) but even if he is, it's pretty marginal, and he's definitely a better middle order batsman than he is an opener, and definitely a better middle order batsman than Hopes. If both are going to play and one has to open, it should be Hopes - you'll get the most value from each player that way.

Regarding Haddin opening specifically, it's pretty obvious to see he's unsuited to it just watching him bat - he rarely plays late and is really loose outside off with his footwork early in his innings. NSW figured that out (eventually) and moved him back to the middle order which, surprise surprise, resulted in him scoring big runs much more consistently. It'd be a huge waste.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. But NSW did not move him back down to number 7, they moved him into the true middle order, and he would not get that opportunity for Australia. Haddin is more suited to opening than coming in 5 for 90 and having to rotate the strike because he is simply not that batsman. Sure, if the team is on top he can come in and force some shots, but with five men on the boundary, and the fact that he plays normal cricket shots, he oft struggles to play the innings Australia need him to.

Hopes on the other hand plays ****ing terrible slogs through mid wicket, and other than that he generally just mis-times the ball for singles. Perfect for the lower order.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Squads, eh.

Hopes
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
M. Hussey
D. Hussey
Haddin+
Johnson
Hauritz
Bracken
Tait (if fit, not sure on his status at the moment.)

Don't care about the rest, it's at home, they'll change every 5 minutes. I honestly think they'll pick Tait (if fit). He's been pretty good every time I've seen him this year, he has a tremendous ODI record and the selectors (rightly or wrongly) see him as a like-for-like with Lee in 50 over cricket.

People have been saying Klinger hasn't been good enough for long enough, and fair enough (enough lol), but he hasn't just had any old 2/3rds of a season. He's been a thousand times better than nearly every opponent he's played. The only times I've actually seen him get out this season were when Shaun Marsh jumped halfway across the world to catch him at backward point and when Umar Gul bowled one of the best balls of the season. He deserves a shot and it should be in ODI cricket, because he's been very good there for a few seasons now.
Had a slight chuckle

On topic though, agree re: Tait. If he's fit, pick him, blokes a gun in ODI cricket.

Would go for...

Marsh
Hopes
Ponting
Clarke
Huss
Huss Jnr
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Bracken
Tait

Have a funny feeling the selectors are either going to pick Hayden again, or put Clarke back up at the top of the order whilst there isn't any other standout candidate to open. Would love to see Voges or North get a run in the team at some stage over the summer as well.