• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

pup11

International Coach
Mallya has rubbished those reports in todays paper. The overseas players are up for negotiation, but the Indian players are not. I'm surprised you gave that ridiculous article any credibility at all.

BTW, all the franchises are looking to get rid of their Pakistani players, even the 'Rajasthan' Royals. Obvious reasons for that, plus they weren't performing well anyway, with the notable exception of Sohail Tanvir.
Steady on mate it was article from Times of India so i thought it would be credible enough, anyways, even if he is flushing away his foreign players he still gotta realise he has got plenty of good T20 foreign players in there, just because his team didn't do well last season doesn't make them bad players.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Steady on mate it was article from Times of India so i thought it would be credible enough, anyways, even if he is flushing away his foreign players he still gotta realise he has got plenty of good T20 foreign players in there, just because his team didn't do well last season doesn't make them bad players.
He isn't offloading them in an everything must go sale, which is the impression the headline in the first article creates. He's putting them up for negotiation just like all the other teams are putting up their players for negotiation. Anyway, lets focus :) I'd love to see Dravid and his boys make the semi finals next season. And I hope Dale Steyn is kicked out. :@

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't see why anyone would pick Shoaib. There's a case to be made for Afridi, but if the Franchises place any emphasis on team spirit, he's toast. he has this tendency to go finger pointing after any crisis. He did it with Pakistan, and he did indulged in it after the first IPL season too.

Gibbs is an interesting case. If Hyderabad do sell Rohit and Afridi he might have a huge part to play for them next season. BTW, there were reports that the poor fellow lost almost his entire season one earnings to his ex-wife.
Thought Shoaib performed better than the other two by a distance in the IPL, though?

pup11

International Coach
Thought Shoaib performed better than the other two by a distance in the IPL, though?
Came injured into the tournament played his first game did very well, then he got injured again, now how predictable was that, no wonder KKR don't want him anymore.....

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Came injured into the tournament played his first game did very well, then he got injured again, now how predictable was that, no wonder KKR don't want him anymore.....
More use than what Afridi or Gibbs did though.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He had a sensational debut game, but as far as I can recall, nothing after that. Plus he's a liability from a fitness and discipline pov. Then there's the question of team combination too. They've got David Hussey, McCullum, Ponting, Gayle, Gul and Mendis in their overseas pool. Mendis has become a phenomenon since the last IPL and there's no way they'll not play him every game this season, subject to availability. Their bowling attack will most likely comprise Ishant, Gul, Agarkar, Dhinda and Mendis if they play 5 bowlers. But that lengthens the tail, so they're more likely to play 4 bowlers at the maximum. Shoaib appears the weakest link.

There's also the consideration that the franchise owner Shah Rukh Khan is just an actor, and is much poorer compared to the conglomerates that own the other teams. He's got to cut corners by avoiding paying people for warming a bench.

pup11

International Coach
He had a sensational debut game, but as far as I can recall, nothing after that. Plus he's a liability from a fitness and discipline pov. Then there's the question of team combination too. They've got David Hussey, McCullum, Ponting, Gayle, Gul and Mendis in their overseas pool. Mendis has become a phenomenon since the last IPL and there's no way they'll not play him every game this season, subject to availability. Their bowling attack will most likely comprise Ishant, Gul, Agarkar, Dhinda and Mendis if they play 5 bowlers. But that lengthens the tail, so they're more likely to play 4 bowlers at the maximum. Shoaib appears the weakest link.

There's also the consideration that the franchise owner Shah Rukh Khan is just an actor, and is much poorer compared to the conglomerates that own the other teams. He's got to cut corners by avoiding paying people for warming a bench.
Kolkata Knight Riders is one of the franchise of the eight team taking part in the Indian Premier League. It was bought by Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment in partnership with Juhi Chawla Mehta and her husband, Jai Mehta.
Financially, the Knight Riders were easily the most successful franchise in the IPL, achieving a profit of Rs. 13 crore

These are excerpts from Wiki that clearly show that SRK isn't the sole owner of KKR and secondly their' was the most successful franchise financially despite not faring well in the competition, its pretty clear they are axing Akthar because he is of no use to the team and they probably weren't willing to pay him for sitting on the benches with an injury throughout the tournament and they already have way too many foreign players to work with.

David Hussey
Ricky Ponting
Salman Butt
Brad Hodge
Tatenda Taibu
Brendon McCullum
Mohd.Hafeez
Moises Henriques
Umar Gul
Ajantha Mendis
Chris Gayle

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Kolkata Knight Riders is one of the franchise of the eight team taking part in the Indian Premier League. It was bought by Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment in partnership with Juhi Chawla Mehta and her husband, Jai Mehta.
Financially, the Knight Riders were easily the most successful franchise in the IPL, achieving a profit of Rs. 13 crore

These are excerpts from Wiki that clearly show that SRK isn't the sole owner of KKR and secondly their' was the most successful franchise financially despite not faring well in the competition, its pretty clear they are axing Akthar because he is of no use to the team and they probably weren't willing to pay him for sitting on the benches with an injury throughout the tournament and they already have way too many foreign players to work with.

David Hussey
Ricky Ponting
Salman Butt
Brad Hodge
Tatenda Taibu
Brendon McCullum
Mohd.Hafeez
Moises Henriques
Umar Gul
Ajantha Mendis
Chris Gayle
You do realise that except for the Red chillies part, you've basically repeated my entire point ad nauseum? :-O

Anyway back to the economics, Red Chillies is co-owned by SRK, but that is just semantics since almost the entire financial base of the company is derived from SRK's personal earnings. Fact remains that KKR cost him Rs 300 crore to buy. My information has KKR showing a profit of 8 crore, but lets give some credit to wikipedia, and agree that they made a profit of Rs 13 crore. That works out to a positive turnover of 4.33%. That is ridiculously low. For comparison, if SRK had parked his Rs 300 crore in a Fixed Deposit Scheme for a year, he'd have accumulated an interest of around 10% for just sitting on his arse. The rest of the teams are backed by companies that can afford to bide their time and wait for the balance sheets to show a healthy profit in the long run, but SRK's company cannot afford to park all their money in the KKR and neglect their core area of expertise, film financing.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon he's trying to build up a true-blue persona to become somewhat of a symbol of Australian cricket. Then he can get some decent sponsorship deals going at home.

pup11

International Coach
Reckon he's trying to build up a true-blue persona to become somewhat of a symbol of Australian cricket. Then he can get some decent sponsorship deals going at home.
Its not only him, likes of Clarke and Haddin are also likely to do the same, but imo with the kind of money that is up for grabs in the IPL and not to forget the sponsorship deals that are likely to come their way, if these players perform well in India for their respective franchises, so really don't know what's making these guy so apprehensive about the IPL.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Its not only him, likes of Clarke and Haddin are also likely to do the same, but imo with the kind of money that is up for grabs in the IPL and not to forget the sponsorship deals that are likely to come their way, if these players perform well in India for their respective franchises, so really don't know what's making these guy so apprehensive about the IPL.
Yeah Clarke and Haddin too, a crux of guys who should remain in the Aussie setup for years to come. Franchising themselves as Aussie cricketers, odd though. I guess they're holding off for the APL or whatever its called.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah Clarke and Haddin too, a crux of guys who should remain in the Aussie setup for years to come. Franchising themselves as Aussie cricketers, odd though. I guess they're holding off for the APL or whatever its called.
Nah, its going to be called KFC T20 bash only, but CA are planning to make this annual event slightly more grander and larger in scale and of course invite atleast two high profile forgien players to be part of every state side, but still i can't see Clarke, Johnson or Haddin, making anywhere near as much money in Australia, compared to what they are likely to make by playing in the IPL.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
a. They dont need the money

b. They dont need more cricket in a period when they are touring SA, England and potentially Pakistan

Simple really

pup11

International Coach
a. They dont need the money

b. They dont need more cricket in a period when they are touring SA, England and potentially Pakistan

Simple really
Yup, it would have looked much simpler, had much more older and richer Aussie players would have done the same, because i am sure likes of Ponting, Mussey, Symonds, Lee,etc also have enough money to ignore the IPL, as they too have to deal with the same hectic schedule and workload, that Clarke, Johnson and Haddin are going to deal with in the upcoming months.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't heard a thing about who Rajasthan might pick up. I reckon they're really strong in the batting but if they do pick someone up they might look for a spinner. Warney might not be able to perform anything like last year, he's basically been sat eating pies since. ;)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think the likes of Clarke, Haddin, Johnson do need the money, but they're cunningly holding off until Australian players can apperar for a significant majority or even an entire season of the IPL so they can maximise their contract amounts. Similar to how Pietersen will make more if he's available for the entire season rather than just 2 weeks, or how Symonds' price sky-rocketed over the rest of his team mates when he conveniently let slip just before the auction last year that he wasn't going to be touring Pakistan. Call me cynical, I don't think there's anything but simple economics driving the decisions of these guys to stay away for now.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the likes of Clarke, Haddin, Johnson do need the money, but they're cunningly holding off until Australian players can apperar for a significant majority or even an entire season of the IPL so they can maximise their contract amounts. Similar to how Pietersen will make more if he's available for the entire season rather than just 2 weeks, or how Symonds' price sky-rocketed over the rest of his team mates when he conveniently let slip just before the auction last year that he wasn't going to be touring Pakistan. Call me cynical, I don't think there's anything but simple economics driving the decisions of these guys to stay away for now.
"Need" is different to "want"

Clarke would be earning more than a million bucks per year whilst the other 2 would be on mid to high 6 figures. In other words, unless they've hosed the money up against the wall (and Clarke seems to be making a good fist of it), they dont need the extra cash that the IPL would bring

Believe it or not, there seem to be some players for whom playing for their country is more important than the IPL