• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Missing the point, I'm all for them staring down the batsmen after the delivery, so long as they don't stand at the top of their mark for an eternitiy.
it appears to be a new technique, must be a troy cooley thing, they pause at the top of their mark for a bit and don't just turn and bowl, lee and johnson both do it, i don't know why, surely you're thinking of what to bowl on the way back to the mark, it must be a rhythm thing, especially for lee with his previous no ball problems.

susudear

Banned
Yes I agree!

It is time Ponting be removed and Pup be installed as captain. :laugh:

Ponting is surviving on past form of McGrath and Warney.

archie mac

International Coach
I had to work all day yesterday:@, so I did not get to watch any of the game, but I did listen to some of it on the radio

After lunch we have one well set batsman and one batsman not yet set, and playing in his first Test, and the bowling team desperatly needing a wicket (or two)

Q= who do you open your bowling attack with?

1. Two bowlers playing their first Test in Aust

or

2. Your two best fast bowlers

I know that MJ had bowled a lot of overs, but he did have a 40 min break and hopefully a rub down, and you need to take a quick wicket before the new fellow gets set

I am sure Ponting did not decide this on his own, but come on8-)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke is far from ready to be captain. I doubt Ponting's form is bad enough for him to be dropped anyway. Probably should bring Noffke in straight away and install him as captain.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Must admit that I found it very frustrating watching how easily Kallis and de Villiers were allowed to get singles with the deep point employed. Was smart cricket by them, but just so defensive by Ponting.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must admit that I found it very frustrating watching how easily Kallis and de Villiers were allowed to get singles with the deep point employed. Was smart cricket by them, but just so defensive by Ponting.
Oh God, AWTA. Ditto every easy single they took backward of square too. Wanted to punch my housemate every time it happened.

Christ, even AB lashed out with the a close-in fielder on occasion. When your play is more defensive than a captain whose team were regular easy-beats for years, well......

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd rather them score four an over with one scoring shot, than four an over with four scoring shots, each of them with no risk.

Top_Cat

I'd rather them score four an over with one scoring shot, than four an over with four scoring shots, each of them with no risk.
Absolutely.

Seriously, Ponting seems to be holding on too tight. There's a reason why people often say captains have a time limit, the stress of the job gets to you eventually and, especially after a successful era, one tends toward a lack of innovation because you don't want to risk your record and after years in the job, I guess you figure you've seen it all.

Can't exactly ask him to step-down, of course. But I don't know if Ponting will play on for ages and ages either. Once Sachin retires and he passes him, reckon he'll give it away.

Craig

World Traveller
Oh God, AWTA. Ditto every easy single they took backward of square too. Wanted to punch my housemate every time it happened.

Christ, even AB lashed out with the a close-in fielder on occasion. When your play is more defensive than a captain whose team were regular easy-beats for years, well......
Are you Daren Powell? :ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
Absolutely.

Seriously, Ponting seems to be holding on too tight. There's a reason why people often say captains have a time limit, the stress of the job gets to you eventually and, especially after a successful era, one tends toward a lack of innovation because you don't want to risk your record and after years in the job, I guess you figure you've seen it all.

Can't exactly ask him to step-down, of course. But I don't know if Ponting will play on for ages and ages either. Once Sachin retires and he passes him, reckon he'll give it away.
Look mate Ponting was never a bright captain, he used to use these same tactics when he had McG, Warne, Gillespie and Kasper,etc but he is not going to get away anymore with the kind of bowlers Australia have now, they need more innovative fields and pro-active captaincy, the qualities that Ponting never had, so its bit unreal to expect Ponting to become a tactical genius all of sudden, and with the quality of bowlers at his disposal now the short-comings of his captaincy woulds become even more obvious for one to notice, so i guess we Aussie fans would have to just live with that for a while, because can't see Ponting giving up captaincy till he hangs his boots.

Burgey

Are you Daren Powell? :ph34r:
That was a seriously funny moment.

Of all the brain fades in recent times, including the ridiculous shots played by some of the Aussies in Perth, Symonds fishing, Afridi's scratching the wicket, I reckon that was the weirdest and funniest by a large margin.

Kudos to Darren Powell, bringing comedy back into Tests.

And that's with his bowling.

Top_Cat

Look mate Ponting was never a bright captain, he used to use these same tactics when he had McG, Warne, Gillespie and Kasper,etc but he is not going to get away anymore with the kind of bowlers Australia have now, they need more innovative fields and pro-active captaincy, the qualities that Ponting never had, so its bit unreal to expect Ponting to become a tactical genius all of sudden, and with the quality of bowlers at his disposal now the short-comings of his captaincy woulds become even more obvious for one to notice, so i guess we Aussie fans would have to just live with that for a while, because can't see Ponting giving up captaincy till he hangs his boots.
You're joking. Last I checked, Ponting does this stuff as his profession. Professional people adapt to and learn from changing circumstances, it's the point of being professional. Do you think people do stuff like read scientific journals and attend workplace training for fun? Reckon you'd get far in a professional environment if you said to your boss "Look, I know our team hasn't been up to it since Rory Blogs left but, frankly, I'm going to keep doing things the way I always have because I don't know any different."??

You know what organisations do with someone who isn't doing their job? They sack them!

EDIT: Cue several CW'ers to say "Not where I work!"

Last edited:

Top_Cat

That was a seriously funny moment.

Of all the brain fades in recent times, including the ridiculous shots played by some of the Aussies in Perth, Symonds fishing, Afridi's scratching the wicket, I reckon that was the weirdest and funniest by a large margin.

Kudos to Darren Powell, bringing comedy back into Tests.

And that's with his bowling.
Especially since he missed by several widths of the pitch.

pup11

International Coach
You're joking. Last I checked, Ponting does this stuff as his profession. Professional people adapt to and learn from changing circumstances, it's the point of being professional. Do you think people do stuff like read scientific journals and attend workplace training for fun? Reckon you'd get far in a professional environment if you said to your boss "Look, I know our team hasn't been up to it since Rory Blogs left but, frankly, I'm going to keep doing things the way I always have because I don't know any different."??

You know what organisations do with someone who isn't doing their job? They sack them!

EDIT: Cue several CW'ers to say "Not where I work!"
Its not that Ponting doesn't want to adapt with changing times but the problem is tactically he might be incapable to do so, Ponting has always come across as a defensive captain who just seems to hit the panic button and spread out the field as soon as a few boundaries are hit of his bowlers, whereas when he is working with a young inexperienced bowling attack he needs to realise that they might give away a few runs but still he as the captain he needs to provide them with the best attacking fields possible so that when they bowl good balls there are fielders in the right positions to capitalise on it.

Though having said this its too easy for me to say this because i am not under the kind of pressure Ponting' under but then as you said he is paid to do this job and he has been found wanting with his captaincy on way too many occasions now for this to be ignored, but realistically speaking he is the only man Australia currently has for the job at the present time.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

I used to have regular arguments with my captain about this...ditto the putting two men back at long on and long off and spreading the field at the end of one-dayers. Have a look at the situation and back your bowlers for ****'s sake! Don't just automatically do it because it's the accepted process.

The fields you set dictate to some extent where your bowlers will bowl.

I'm also not a huge fan of having no slip in the final overs as that makes you bowl straighter...in the exact areas where you bowl to get smashed.

None of this has anything to do with Ponting :happy:

Last edited: