• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

Precambrian

Banned
Ian Chappell hits back hard at Ponting regarding over-rates

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/379260.html

"The game has changed" is a common cry when a captain attempts to defend his tactics from criticism by former players. Ricky Ponting defended the tardy over-rate that led to a bewildering fourth day's play in the Nagpur Test thus: "Some of these guys [offering opinions] haven't played for 30 years." It's worth examining "the game has changed" defence to see if it's as impregnable as Sunil Gavaskar's or as wafer-thin as New Zealand tail-ender Chris Martin's.
These chats are even more bewildering when team meetings have become so important as to banish Andrew Symonds because he missed one such gathering in Darwin. Team meetings are now more prolific than Sachin Tendulkar, and as over-rated as computer rankings. Former Australia coach John Buchanan was never one to shy away from a team meeting, and Mark Waugh, tiring of one elongated get-together, quipped, "John, 'hit the top of off with the occasional bouncer' used to work.

krkode

State Captain
Interesting thought put forth by Ian Chappell in that article, I thought:

In recent times I've had the impression that both Michael Vaughan and Ponting are out to re-invent captaincy. Despite many comments by pundits, ranking the art alongside splitting the atom, it's really no more than commonsense, a sound cricket knowledge and a slice of luck.
I'd probably throw in the ability to manage people in there, but yeah...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I am a massive Chappelli fan, but his pet hate is captaincy significantly different to what he used to do.

He gets so frustrated when captains have fielders saving the boundary in test cricket. He blames Vaughan, and then says Ponting copied him, and now all captains do it. Its quite funny commentary.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Being the ground, I couldn't help but think of overrates yesterday, especially when there's a glaring "Overrates: -2" on the scoreboard.

2 things to fix it for Australia:

A) Ponting Fields at mid-off (don't seriously mean he should, but It would save time)
B) The fast bowlers don't stand at the top of their mark for a good 5/6 seconds every delivery.

jondavluc

State Regular
Ian is the angry grandfather you never want to see not just because his angry but also because puts in"back in my day" as a sentance starter.:dry: I am not very fond of him most of the time sometimes his ok though.

Precambrian

Banned
I hate to see whenever the bowler gets a ball to pass by the batsman, either beaten or just sheer "left" by the batsman, he trundles closer to the batsman, gives him an almighty stare and slowly, dramatically start his ever slow walk back to his mark.

I had a chance to watch a match from the 70s in a program recently. And what amazed me was that the bowlers stopping almost immediately after the delivery was bowled and started walking back even before the batsman fully completed his follow through. This was the case even when the delivery beat the batsman. Fair points from Ian I think.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Missing the point, I'm all for them staring down the batsmen after the delivery, so long as they don't stand at the top of their mark for an eternitiy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Missing the point, I'm all for them staring down the batsmen after the delivery, so long as they don't stand at the top of their mark for an eternitiy.
I'd say the latter is far more useful than the former. Rarely will staring down a batsman make much impact on you or the batsman, but rushing to start your delivery without thinking is always a very bad idea.

If you've the choice of one or the other, I'd prefer a bowler pause at the top of their mark having got straight back to it. Unless the bowler really does need to do that sort of thing to get himself going, or unless the batsman is obviously frail.

Precambrian

Banned
Dunno whether it is the appropriate thread.

Ponting in more trouble with over-rates

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ausvnz2008/content/current/story/379390.html

At the end of the first Test Ricky Ponting felt Australia did "a pretty good job" of staying in touch with the over-rate, but the team has been fined for the second game in a row by the match referee Chris Broad. Ponting was docked 30% of his match fee of A$12,750, double the punishment of his team-mates, for being three behind during the 149-run victory over New Zealand that ended on the fourth morning.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So much for the "if they pressed on and finished early in Nagpur, the fact they were behind would be waived and there'd be no penalty" argument. They finished a day and a half early in Brisbane, and they still got docked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, never understood that. You don't get let-off for a slow over-rate if there's an early finish and to my knowledge never have done.

Precambrian

Banned
Yeah, never understood that. You don't get let-off for a slow over-rate if there's an early finish and to my knowledge never have done.
Same here. I thought Vettori being superquick with overs would have benefited Ponting. But Chris Board has other ideas. Poor Ponting, when down, all the world seems to be against him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ricky Ponting should be sacked because he's simply unable to toss a coin properly.

How many in a row has he lost now?

Seriously, considering the number of people on here who reckon he's a first rate tosser, the evidence seems to suggest otherwise.