• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting should be sacked

Precambrian

Banned
Vaughan
Vettori
Malik
Gayle
Ponting
Jayawardene
Smith
Kumble

Who do you think is the worst?
Right now? Or when the Perth match was on.

My rankings at the end of Ind in Aus series would be

Jayawardene
Smith
Kumble
Ponting
Vaughan
Vettori
Gayle
Malik

The problem with Kumble was that soon after that series, his bowling took the inevitable decline, and so his confidence. Once he lost his confidence, the joy went out of his game. And that was evident in the SL series, which worsened day by day and reached it's nadir in the Aus in India series.

Precambrian

Banned
Always has done. If Ponting was capable of keeping his cool more often he'd be a good rather than middling captain.

However, there's a fair bit of nonsense in that article. How on Earth does what Allan Border and Ian Chappell think about Ponting make any significant impact on the stability of the team?

And as for Mark Waugh saying that Symonds hadn't done enough to regain his BaggyGreen... sheesh, former Test player criticises one single piece of selection at current time! Stop the press!!!!!!!!!!!

And to boot... is it really unusual for current Test players to be angry about Ian Chappell comments? I thought that'd been happening regularly for the last 30 years?
Heh, the man (in)famously called for Tendulkar's retirement post WC 07.

I don't think Ponting needs to consider the veterans' remark more than "spontaneous emotional outbreak". The fact is that everyone were caught surprised by his hitherto unseen preference for overrates over a possibly test winning offensive in the Nagpur test. And that was evident in Border's words also. Ponting should have let these things go. I just wonder and shudder at the thought of Ponting captaining India for a change. He won't be talking at all to anyone then, even members of his team itself.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right now? Or when the Perth match was on.

My rankings at the end of Ind in Aus series would be

Jayawardene
Smith
Kumble
Ponting
Vaughan
Vettori
Gayle
Malik

The problem with Kumble was that soon after that series, his bowling took the inevitable decline, and so his confidence. Once he lost his confidence, the joy went out of his game. And that was evident in the SL series, which worsened day by day and reached it's nadir in the Aus in India series.
Completely disagree with the order tbh. The only two with a case for being worse than Kumble are Vettori and Malik. Vaughan is one of the best captains this century, Gayle seems to be the most inspirational man under the sun. Ponting isn't great, but he's still a massively successful captain and his tactics are certainly in advance of Kumble. Vettori has a thankless job, being in charge of an exceptionally weak team and following one of the best captains ever. Still, i struggle to remember many mistakes he's made in his captaincy- barely an out-of-place fielder, bad toss decision or dodgy bowling change.

Malik, i've seen very little of (as has the cricketing world) so i can't really comment on.

It's not about Kumble's confidence going, his actual decisions have often been bad. Just off the top of my head:

Failing to employ a leg-slip to Clarke in Australia to the spinners, despite Clarke's repeated walk across his stumps. Two edges in the air in that region later, he shut the horse's door.

Batting on the greenest of green pitches against South Africa in the second test.

Sending in Ishant Sharma as a night watchman in the third test of the series just passed.

What really damns him, though, is how infinitely the better the team is with Dhoni in charge. It's not just that Dhoni gets the best out of players, his tactics are often much better too- more positive, but he knows when to defend and he knows how to do it, he usually makes the right bowling changes- Sehwag in the SA third test, for example. Kumble, as legendary a player as he is, was just not born to captain IMO.

Precambrian

Banned
Completely disagree with the order tbh. The only two with a case for being worse than Kumble are Vettori and Malik. Vaughan is one of the best captains this century, Gayle seems to be the most inspirational man under the sun. Ponting isn't great, but he's still a massively successful captain and his tactics are certainly in advance of Kumble. Vettori has a thankless job, being in charge of an exceptionally weak team and following one of the best captains ever. Still, i struggle to remember many mistakes he's made in his captaincy- barely an out-of-place fielder, bad toss decision or dodgy bowling change.

Malik, i've seen very little of (as has the cricketing world) so i can't really comment on.

It's not about Kumble's confidence going, his actual decisions have often been bad. Just off the top of my head:

Failing to employ a leg-slip to Clarke in Australia to the spinners, despite Clarke's repeated walk across his stumps. Two edges in the air in that region later, he shut the horse's door.

Batting on the greenest of green pitches against South Africa in the second test.

Sending in Ishant Sharma as a night watchman in the third test of the series just passed.

What really damns him, though, is how infinitely the better the team is with Dhoni in charge. It's not just that Dhoni gets the best out of players, his tactics are often much better too- more positive, but he knows when to defend and he knows how to do it, he usually makes the right bowling changes- Sehwag in the SA third test, for example. Kumble, as legendary a player as he is, was just not born to captain IMO.
I think you have an opinion to defend. So me too.

Though I would strongly disagree on calling Vaughan "captain of the century" stuff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I doubt many would consider Ponting a better captain than Vaughan.

For mine, the only captains since 2000 so far who could be said to be better than Vaughan are Stephen Fleming and Nasser Hussain. There's been plenty of more-than-adaquete skippers (Pollock, Smith, Jayasuriya, Stephen Waugh, Jayawardene, Inzamam in his own unique-to-Pakistan way, Dravid, Streak, even Lara - eventually - and Adams weren't the worst) and Ganguly was damn superb in one respect though lacking in another. But those three are ahead of the pack for my money.

Burgey

Heh, the man (in)famously called for Tendulkar's retirement post WC 07.

I don't think Ponting needs to consider the veterans' remark more than "spontaneous emotional outbreak". The fact is that everyone were caught surprised by his hitherto unseen preference for overrates over a possibly test winning offensive in the Nagpur test. And that was evident in Border's words also. Ponting should have let these things go. I just wonder and shudder at the thought of Ponting captaining India for a change. He won't be talking at all to anyone then, even members of his team itself.
No, what seems to have stung Ponting isn't the criticism of the tactic per se, but the fact those two blokes were insinuating he'd put himself above the team.

Top_Cat

No, what seems to have stung Ponting isn't the criticism of the tactic per se, but the fact those two blokes were insinuating he'd put himself above the team.
That too but others were much less technical, just went ahead and questioned his ability as a captain (Thommo, for example). To Ponting, in the midst of it all, he'd struggle to pick the difference between those genuinely criticising the tactic and those just having a dig.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
From the Daily Telegraph said:
"I don't know where he (Ponting) is getting his information from,'' Border told Inside Cricket. "We never really talked about it being a personal decision, we were just in commentary and we disagreed with the tactics that were being employed. It was as plain and simple as that.

"There was never any inference about Ricky Ponting making those decisions on a personal level.
Certainly there was talk about that, from different journalists or from Indian papers.''
It looks like for once, its the Indian papers which have caused such a lot of squabble in the opposition team........something the aussie papers are famous for trying!! :) :)

Burgey

It looks like for once, its the Indian papers which have caused such a lot of squabble in the opposition team........something the aussie papers are famous for trying!! :) :)
ABC radio was well into the "selfish" line as well.

Burgey

Heard Glenn Mitchell talking about putting one person ahead of the team, etc. But you're probably right.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
No im not saying the didnt say it. They did but at the end of every snide comment and selfish stuff etc they said they werent sure exactly what was going on.

Precambrian

Banned
We don't know how much cricket we're going to get in yet. I would expect us to win the series, whether that's 2-0 or 1-0. I have a lot of confidence in this group. Sure, we're smack bang in the middle of a rebuilding phase, and a lot of our players are still developing and working out ways to be successful at Test level, which I think was highlighted a lot in India. But this is still an exciting period for me as a captain.
- Ricky Ponting ahead of the Gabba test.

Good to hear no-nonsense words from him. And no tall claims.

grapedo

Banned
He was never a great tactician, but he had Warne there who is a cricketing genius, I have no doubt that Warne made a lot of the decisions on the field when he played alongside Ponting...or atleast had a healthy influence on what Ponting did.

Without Warne (and probably Gilchrist to an extent) Ponting has looked unimaginative and very defensive. Obviously not having Warne and McGrath's bowling skills makes the job tougher (a monkey could have captained those two and got good results) but he still has to back who he has at his disposal.
Funny how people say this now but when Smith said it the 05 series everyone hated him for it