• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
AWTA. You wither go all the way or don't use it at all.

On a different subject matter, I'm not sure if I can rate Jesse Ryder as a batsman until he starts to move his feet. Maybe I'm just nitpicking and it doesn't matter.
You rate Styris or Trescothic? Hayden to an extent? They don't move their feet.

Craig

World Traveller
You rate Styris or Trescothic? Hayden to an extent? They don't move their feet.
What I found concerning was that he edged two balls into the slips (was dropped on one of them and the other did not carry) and nearly played on when he was attempting a cover drive that went for four (how it missed off stump I don't know)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I have to say, Dunedin has not been made to look a very good test match venue. Not only does the drainage appear to be non-existant, but the incident with the kitty litter was just comedy gold. Might be a while before we see another test there.

Polo23

International Debutant
What I found concerning was that he edged two balls into the slips (was dropped on one of them and the other did not carry) and nearly played on when he was attempting a cover drive that went for four (how it missed off stump I don't know)
From memory the only times he got a bit lucky (the times you mentioned) was when he was well past 50.

Exaggerated foot movement is overrated in my opinion. If you get your weight distribution right and get your head over the ball, it generally isn't a big problem. As shown by guys like Trescothick, Gilchrist, Oram, Astle, Jayasuriya and a host of others i'm sure.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Read that again.

O'Brien>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Martin. Highly under-rated bowler.
Obrien is a funny one. Everyone used to say he was dire, now most seem to be singing his praises. Ive never called him Dire, I dont think Ive ever posted about him before, but I cant remember a player who has changed so much in a lot of peoples thoughts, especially changing to have a better opinion of him. Normally, players get talked about as the next big thing and then fail miserably, and the opinion drops, but rarely such an upward move.

Personally, I think he is just an average bowler and him and Martin are largely the same. I hope the selectors choose Southee over both of them in the future.

Oh, and one more thing with OBrien. He's really got to stop those silly stares he gives the bowler every time he gets hit or ducks a bouncer. It's kinda painful to watch.

Polo23

International Debutant
Obrien is a funny one. Everyone used to say he was dire, now most seem to be singing his praises. Ive never called him Dire, I dont think Ive ever posted about him before, but I cant remember a player who has changed so much in a lot of peoples thoughts, especially changing to have a better opinion of him. Normally, players get talked about as the next big thing and then fail miserably, and the opinion drops, but rarely such an upward move.

Personally, I think he is just an average bowler and him and Martin are largely the same. I hope the selectors choose Southee over both of them in the future.

Oh, and one more thing with OBrien. He's really got to stop those silly stares he gives the bowler every time he gets hit or ducks a bouncer. It's kinda painful to watch.
Agree with the first paragraph.

Disagree entirely with the second. O'Brien has turned into probably our first choice seamer and over the last year has been performing outstandingly well, over those 12 months he has been anything but 'average'.

And disagree with the last. I like the fact that he's showing he isnt going to back down. He is one of the only batsmen in the lineup showing real guts, despite him being the worst batsman in the lineup. What do you want him to do? Drop to the ground and get in the phoetal position? He is giving the bowler nothing, which is fantastic.

May the mighty OB prosper tomorrow!!!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought it was funny listening to the radio commentary today, they were saying Mills bowled poorly in Brisbane. Last time I checked he didn't play.

And when McCullum made a great take they said "this is why we rate him the second-best keeper in the world", then criticised his batting as the reason why he was behind Dhoni. :huh: (I'm prepared to accept that he is behind Dhoni in terms of batting, by the way)

Flem274*

123/5
Re: the refferal posts a few pages back: If Flynn was out, then its very harsh that Mills didn't get Chattergoon (Mills was definitely out in the refferal against him). That ball was not going to get much higher, in fact it may have almost peaked at its height. I thought it was hitting personally.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Re: the refferal posts a few pages back: If Flynn was out, then its very harsh that Mills didn't get Chattergoon (Mills was definitely out in the refferal against him). That ball was not going to get much higher, in fact it may have almost peaked at its height. I thought it was hitting personally.
I thought it was going over the top. I figured with this referral system that the 'benefit of the doubt going to the batsman' would no longer be an issue, with technology showing everything quite clearly, you would be either out or not out. But it hasnt been that way at all. Gillespie's and Chattergoons were both inconclusive in my mind, so the benefit went to the batsman.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Even with the option of enforcing the follow on with a 150 run lead (though might need to clarify that as Sky's commentators hardly reminded us of it in the final session of the day) I'd tend to agree that 365 looks no where near enough.
I'm not sure you can unless the rain delay happens before play actually starts. Possibly due to the perceived unfairness in making 365, bowling WI out for 190, making 6/1 from 25 overs at the end of the day (How gets out) then it rains and a day is lost, and you've made the decision not to follow on, whereas if it had rained earlier, you could have made them follow on.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Agree with the first paragraph.

Disagree entirely with the second. O'Brien has turned into probably our first choice seamer and over the last year has been performing outstandingly well, over those 12 months he has been anything but 'average'.

And disagree with the last. I like the fact that he's showing he isnt going to back down. He is one of the only batsmen in the lineup showing real guts, despite him being the worst batsman in the lineup. What do you want him to do? Drop to the ground and get in the phoetal position? He is giving the bowler nothing, which is fantastic.

May the mighty OB prosper tomorrow!!!
O'Brien is just a work-horse, i dont think he has much talent and although he tries desperately with regards to batting and bowling i dont think he is that good of a bowler and he will never be daniel vettori with the bat, heck, he will never be courtney walsh with the bat. Although i do like the way he tried to defend himself against the bouncers.

I reckon he is the cricketing equivalent of Dirk Kuyt, works hard but is still pretty ordinary. He has nothing special with the ball in any way, has no pace, no swing and is not exceedingly accurate.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
brilliant although a result isnt going to happen, i am still looking forward to the likes of Gayle, Sarwan, Marshall, and Nash batting

Jigga988

State 12th Man
how good is sarwan looking, although i suppose he always looks good but rarely produces, like to see him progress, hopefully this will be a stepping stone and he can gain some maturity from this series