• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Franklin wasn't even opening the bowling for Wellington every innings though.
Yeah, I noticed that before, but it seemed equally strange to me.

It seems to indicate that his bowling has declined more than we've realised, which is a real worry.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, I noticed that before, but it seemed equally strange to me.

It seems to indicate that his bowling has declined more than we've realised, which is a real worry.
Don't think he's quite fully recovered TBH. Though Gillespie and Mills are both most certainly new ball bowlers.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
fantastic shot there for 6. NZ bolwers looked OK for the first few overs but not looked that great since the sun came out. Frankly I dont mind f the NZ bowlers have a poor game as that would mean Southee might get another go sooner rather than later.

Flem274*

123/5
I would argue that Martin > O'Brien. Both are similar bowlers, beats me why O'Brien went about trying to intimidate the Australian batsmen, mainly the tail, when he came over with the Kiwi's for a visit. Surprisingly though it worked.
In 2-3 years time, Southee will be miles ahead of Mills, injuries and form aside. As for Gillespie, I've only seen him once or twice, in a couple of ODI's two or three seasons ago. He was an excellent death bowler with Bond, and did his job well.
Read that again.

O'Brien>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Martin. Highly under-rated bowler.

James

Cricket Web Owner
A sure draw is on the cards I'd say. Gayle especially showed there's no real demons in the pitch, and with the quality of Sarwan and Chanderpaul to come, I can't see us getting 20 wickets. 10 is going to be hard enough.

Flem274*

123/5
Quick sum up:

Chattergoon doesn't look good so far.

Mills has no luck.

Franklin needs sprigs.

Jerome Taylor is gun.

Shame on Edwards, may have got O'Brien in the end but he made Edwards look a bit silly first.

This is going to be a drawathon.

Oh and PEWS, Jimmy isn't 100%. On Cricket Company he said he still had a bit of pain.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Why don't you go and abuse some newbies, Mr Tough ****? I bet that makes you feel so much better about yourself.
I don't abuse new members tbh. IIRC I was the one standing up for cdm and andmark when they were copping **** left right and centre from Hingston, sledger and Mitchell. Why let that get in the way of your inane ramblings, though.

Probably the only time I've ever done it and I really didn't even target the member, just the band he was named after.

Polo23

International Debutant
At the risk of setting him off on another abuse spree, does Voltman understand the concept of irony? :laugh:

I'm sure it's been well documented, but what was everyones thoughts on that Mills LBW on Chattergoon that got referred? I thought after seeing Koertzen give Flynn out that he was certain to give Chattergoon out. Consistency please...

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
beats me why O'Brien went about trying to intimidate the Australian batsmen, mainly the tail, when he came over with the Kiwi's for a visit. Surprisingly though it worked.
:whistling :wallbash:

Whoever wondered why Gillespie was picked, he does have a test bowling average of 22 or something, seems to me like he's worth another shot.

Whoever said that 365 will be competitive, lol. Will be very surprised if WI are more than 5 down when they pass it.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
At the risk of setting him off on another abuse spree, does Voltman understand the concept of irony? :laugh:

I'm sure it's been well documented, but what was everyones thoughts on that Mills LBW on Chattergoon that got referred? I thought after seeing Koertzen give Flynn out that he was certain to give Chattergoon out. Consistency please...
I understand why they don't allow the hawkeye predictions for direction, but surely it's accurate to within millimeters on height? If a fast bowler's bowling, all you do is draw a dead straight line between where the ball pitched and where it hit the batsman, then keep it going til the stumps.

Mills's LBW was obviously going to knock the bail off IMO, was pretty ****ed off that it wasn't given.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year

Whoever wondered why Gillespie was picked, he does have a test bowling average of 22 or something, seems to me like he's worth another shot.

Whoever said that 365 will be competitive, lol. Will be very surprised if WI are more than 5 down when they pass it.
Even with the option of enforcing the follow on with a 150 run lead (though might need to clarify that as Sky's commentators hardly reminded us of it in the final session of the day) I'd tend to agree that 365 looks no where near enough. Though to be fair, Mills almost had Chattergoon dismissed using the referral, Nash is on debut and Marshall has talent but is inexperienced, and when you consider the West Indies' longish tail, New Zealand had some, if not a great, chance of bowling the Windies out cheaply. I'd say that opportunity is long gone now that Gayle's made his mark on proceedings and Rudi denied Mills the LBW on referral.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mills's LBW was obviously going to knock the bail off IMO, was pretty ****ed off that it wasn't given.
One things to consider is whether its fair that the fielding side loses one of their 3 referral opportunities when the call is pretty much 50:50; like the Mills one. It was a worthy referral and could easily have been given - seems pretty harsh on the fielding side to get hit with the double-whammy of not getting the wicket and also losing a referral.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I understand why they don't allow the hawkeye predictions for direction, but surely it's accurate to within millimeters on height? If a fast bowler's bowling, all you do is draw a dead straight line between where the ball pitched and where it hit the batsman, then keep it going til the stumps.

I think this is the issue with the referrals, if theres technology like the hawkeye projection, rather than just hawkeye with what had happened up until the point of contact, and hot spot available, why not use it all? If hawkeye had showed the Chattergoon LBW referral to be hitting the bail, then you'd think you'd have to give the decision if you're prepared to trust hawkeye on all other matters? I'd say that hawkeye would have shown exactly that, so tend to agree that if its good enough to use it to dismiss one batsman (Flynn), it should be sufficient to dismiss the other (Chattergoon) if evidence suggests both were, according to hawkeye, out.

Why hot spot is not being used by the third umpire (and just on the side, I'd not be surprised if his official title became the referral umpire if they continue with the system), is bizarre - it can provide such a brilliant indication of fine nicks that even close analysis of the replay may not be able to provide.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Why hot spot is not being used by the third umpire (and just on the side, I'd not be surprised if his official title became the referral umpire if they continue with the system), is bizarre - it can provide such a brilliant indication of fine nicks that even close analysis of the replay may not be able to provide.
Completely agree. A perfect example was that appeal of the catch down the legside (off Gillespie?). One hotspot replay would have given the answer beyond any doubt, yet it wasn't used.

Craig

World Traveller

I posted it several posts back :huh:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I think this is the issue with the referrals, if theres technology like the hawkeye projection, rather than just hawkeye with what had happened up until the point of contact, and hot spot available, why not use it all? If hawkeye had showed the Chattergoon LBW referral to be hitting the bail, then you'd think you'd have to give the decision if you're prepared to trust hawkeye on all other matters? I'd say that hawkeye would have shown exactly that, so tend to agree that if its good enough to use it to dismiss one batsman (Flynn), it should be sufficient to dismiss the other (Chattergoon) if evidence suggests both were, according to hawkeye, out.

Agree. The referral system seems to be a little half-assed. They are resorting to technology, but in the end they are still relying on a human being to judge from that technology. And since it is a human being, they are still going to make mistakes, just like an umpire would out in the middle. I can't comprehend why they go to the lengths to use replays, but dont go that tiny step further to use hawkeye and hotspot.

Craig

World Traveller
Agree. The referral system seems to be a little half-assed. They are resorting to technology, but in the end they are still relying on a human being to judge from that technology. And since it is a human being, they are still going to make mistakes, just like an umpire would out in the middle. I can't comprehend why they go to the lengths to use replays, but dont go that tiny step further to use hawkeye and hotspot.
AWTA. You wither go all the way or don't use it at all.

On a different subject matter, I'm not sure if I can rate Jesse Ryder as a batsman until he starts to move his feet. Maybe I'm just nitpicking and it doesn't matter.