• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Flem274*

123/5
I doubt the media get their ideas off here. Whatever we say they seem to think the exact opposite sometimes.:laugh: Case in point: Drop/don't drop Martin based on batting.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
West Indies openers trying to play themselves in it seems.Can't blame them. Should just try to bat as long as possible.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well Fulton over Flynn would honestly be my only change. Gillespie deserves a shot and with our allrounders even if it fails it doesn't weaken us that much. Southee will get his shot one day and Martin deserves to have a bit of pressure put on his spot. Hopefully he can turn it around and come back fighting.

Flynn at 3 should be interesting, he tends to only get out to very good balls.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
I tend to rate Flynn, he's hardly played any FC games remember. Technically he's one of the better batsmen in the side
How
Redmond
Ryder
Taylor
McCullum

All have better techniques than Flynn. His swish at the top of his backlift is woeful.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think a lot of media and the selectors get ideas from here! :laugh: . If so ..... Reveal yourselves! :laugh:
Pretty sure the Dominion Post latched onto Iain O'Brien's blog thanks to either my link to it or (I think) Bahnz's.

Anyway... Tim McIntosh, eh? I'd have rather have seen Pinga in there if you want a chap who's likely to string together 10 single digit scores for every hundred they make.

I'd have rather stuck with Redmond, or given Franklin a chance to open a la Andrew Hall.

Interesting squad, for sure.

Flem274*

123/5
Tbh, Flynn has one good FC season, lots of talent, the ability to make starts but not convert them, and best of all, public popularity.

I'd seriously drop him if he doesn't score semi-decent this series (provided he doesnt bat at three of course). In fact I'm annoyed hell get to bat at three because if he fails people will say "well we have to give him a chance at three." What he really needs is to play for NZ A against strong opposition (like some of these Aus A teams that are better than test sides according to them) and make way for superior players.

I'm sounding like a troll harping on about the poor guy, and I'll repeat he's got a lot going for him, but Broom, Sinclair, Fulton, Hay (no idea why he's not playing FC atm, must be injured) and hell even Redmond can do what he's done so far in his nice sheltered spot at six, in fact most can do a lot better than him.

He'll probably flay the WI around the park if they bowl like they are atm, but I bet Ishant Sharma and Zaheer Khan will destroy him if he bats at three when they come.

Flem274*

123/5
Pretty sure the Dominion Post latched onto Iain O'Brien's blog thanks to either my link to it or (I think) Bahnz's.

Anyway... Tim McIntosh, eh? I'd have rather have seen Pinga in there if you want a chap who's likely to string together 10 single digit scores for every hundred they make.

I'd have rather stuck with Redmond, or given Franklin a chance to open a la Andrew Hall.

Interesting squad, for sure.
YES!! someone else who'd have the Mighty Peter Ingram!:happy:

Tbh, Pingas (how'd you know the nickname btw?) consistency is much better this season. Only one rubbsih score, a couple of 30s, a 50 and a 200, which owns McIntoshs 200s btw, so :p to McIntosh!

Flem274*

123/5
Erm... I've met the guy and chatted to him for a while before. So, you tend to pick these things up. Decent lad, strikes me as a bit nervy though.
You should have seen him in his first few days of teaching at our school.

"So guys I am going to...erm...give you some worksheets to do..yeah..."

He's pretty relaxed now though (amazing considering he teaches the midgets).

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Team is not too bad.

Would've liked Southee to be retained, but I guess he needs to develop a wicket taking delivery when there is no swing on offer, and maybe a bouncer.

McIntosh... not sure about a guy who averages in his 30's in FC. Flynn at 3? Fine with that. If he can be a stonewaller who gets 127 off 500 balls rather than 30* off 170, that's cool with me.

Bowling options look great. O'Brien - hard working and reliable, Gillespie - fast and erratic, Oram - economical and difficult to get away, Franklin - left arm swing, Vettori - gun spinner.

Some real variation there, good to see.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just out of curiosity why are there so many Martin fans?

The guy has had a lot of opportunities and averages over 33 with the ball (there are plenty of NZ bowlers who average a lot less and his FC record isn't much good either). He's nearly 34. His batting gives away 20-30 runs a Test compared to a bog standard tailender.

NZ are not going to blow half-decent teams away with consistent quality. They need contributions from everywhere they can get.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just out of curiosity why are there so many Martin fans?

The guy has had a lot of opportunities and averages over 33 with the ball (there are plenty of NZ bowlers who average a lot less and his FC record isn't much good either). He's nearly 34. His batting gives away 20-30 runs a Test compared to a bog standard tailender.

NZ are not going to blow half-decent teams away with consistent quality. They need contributions from everywhere they can get.
Good question, while he is one of our top bowlers his batting is bog standard. While 20-30 for the last wicket per Test is hopeful at best he certainly does lose runs in that regard. As for his talent with the ball, he was always a player who would come in spell after spell and deliver his best time and time again. Unfortunately for Martin, O'Brien has shown this same tenacity and with it Martin has been dropped.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
I agree with Roseboy's lineup for the most part, but Powell must go unless he absolutely destroys Auckland in the warm up. I would replace him with Roach.
I agree. It really is very frustrating that Windies can't seem to find a better bowler than Powell to support the excellent Taylor and improving Fidel. Collins or Collymore would have been ideal foils had they been available. I'm surprised Rampaul hasn't made it back into the test squad yet, though I'm not suggesting he's necessarily the solution.