• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official West Indies in New Zealand***

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah two bowlers don't quite make an attack. Even two legendary bowlers don't quite do that. And unfortunately Edwards and Taylor don't make that category, merely the 'quite good' one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dropping of Redmond is absolutely ridiculous, for mine, particularly given it's for McIntosh. I really don't rate Redmond much at all from what I've seen, but why select him for the second Test against Australia at all if scoring runs in the first innings wasn't going to be enough for him to keep his place? It's quite similar to the dropping of Matthew Bell in that the selectors seemed to have made up their mind he was getting the axe before the match started but proceeded to pick him anyway until the time came. Just odd.

As for McIntosh, his First Class performances are actually pretty similar to Sinclair's Test efforts: he has the ability to play an awesome innings but he has also the ability to go through long dry spells where he looks awful and scores nothing. Sure, he's in good form now, but he's being picked on a very small sample size amongst a long First Class career of mediocrity. Expecting him to score runs at Test level would be akin to expecting Mathew Sinclair to score runs against the World XI.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dropping of Redmond is absolutely ridiculous, for mine, particularly given it's for McIntosh. I really don't rate Redmond much at all from what I've seen, but why select him for the second Test against Australia at all if scoring runs in the first innings wasn't going to be enough for him to keep his place? It's quite similar to the dropping of Matthew Bell in that the selectors seemed to have made up their mind he was getting the axe before the match started but proceeded to pick him anyway until the time came. Just odd.

As for McIntosh, his First Class performances are actually pretty similar to Sinclair's Test efforts: he has the ability to play an awesome innings but he has also the ability to go through long dry spells where he looks awful and scores nothing. Sure, he's in good form now, but he's being picked on a very small sample size amongst a long First Class career of mediocrity. Expecting him to score runs at Test level would be akin to expecting Mathew Sinclair to score runs against the World XI.
The NZ opener position is filled with players who can perform to a certain standard, Redmond, Bell. Cumming, Papps, McIntosh, Ingram. All high 20's to mid 30's.

The fact McIntosh is a lefty probably had a fair bit to do with it.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
At least Martin Crowe is happy. :ph34r:

Jigga988

State 12th Man
I think redmond getting dropped is an absolute joke after the man could've turned a corner against Australia, also with flynn Nez Zealand will lose any imputance at the top of the order. Also, i reckon How will struggle against the real pace of edwards and taylor. i back Ryder to have a pretty good series

Regarding the Windies i reckon Powell should just never play for the windies, it's better off giving unexperienced quickies or ordinary spinners a chance. In terms of batting i reckon Gayle might have a decent series, he looks re-invigorated after stanford series and although has'nt played any test cricket since, i think he will perform well.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice stuff from them.

Pretty demoralising pitch for the bowlers though.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Aye but they got in some good work. Johnson ruined his chances of maybe sneaking a spot ahead of Marshall though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I went to the game on Saturday. Any batsmen who didn't at least get 40 would have to be very disappointed. Small boundaries and an amazingly flat deck.

A good solid batting effort for the Windies, but the Dunedin pitch is likely to be a little different so im sure they'll be aware of that.

Flem274*

123/5
Knowing the lower South Island I'd guess the par score would be like 200-250? Anyone down there had a sneaky look at the pitch?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Knowing the lower South Island I'd guess the par score would be like 200-250? Anyone down there had a sneaky look at the pitch?
Is going to be weird as a friend of mine is over for graduation so I may not be able to get along till the 4th day.