• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2008/09

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
On the hopes debate, he's a solid player. Probably not good enough to make the ODI XI but a good man to have him in the ODI set-up no doubt.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
He did have a stint last season. We are very strong in terms of one day openers. Watson or Hopes will probably get the gig ahead of Marsh if Hayden continues because they score quick runs and can bowl, and are both hard to put away (Hopes is a lot better though).
Watto scores quick runs? News to me. Not that I haven't seen him do it before, but his tendency is to get bogged down and play in two minds, which I think is because he doesn't ever feel confident with the pace of his innings. I think the opening slot is better reserved for someone who at least projects the impression that they know the kind of score required in the conditions. Coming in at 4/5 (in good time, obviously) would suit him better as he's got a clearer idea of the role he needs to play.

I like Shaun Darsh opening the batting, I'll back him to start scoring runs again.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Watto scores quick runs? News to me. Not that I haven't seen him do it before, but his tendency is to get bogged down and play in two minds, which I think is because he doesn't ever feel confident with the pace of his innings. I think the opening slot is better reserved for someone who at least projects the impression that they know the kind of score required in the conditions. Coming in at 4/5 (in good time, obviously) would suit him better as he's got a clearer idea of the role he needs to play.
Miss the IPL, the ODI tour to the Windies and the 2007 WC? Watto has no trouble scoring quickly. He did about 5 years ago, but he's become a much freeer scorer since then.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Miss the IPL, the ODI tour to the Windies and the 2007 WC? Watto has no trouble scoring quickly. He did about 5 years ago, but he's become a much freeer scorer since then.
He's improved (as you can see I didn't say that he hasn't scored quickly before) but he still appears to lack confidence in his own ability to set the pace of the innings. That's why I think he should not be opening. Playing in the middle order suits him better where he knows how to read the situation.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
15 degrees is a fair bit, that was apparently what was meant to be detectable by the human eye, which is weird in itself because they don't/won't call you on the spot anymore, they just report you, so in a crunch game can you just wander up and dart one in ?

we had the problem in a club game a couple of years ago, this little chucker got like 50 wickets in the season with the aforementioned 'darts' yet no one would touch him... ironically he was sri lankan

Rant0r

International 12th Man
just before bruce yardley started coaching sri lanka, he helped out murali, and told him to start wearing long sleeves to hide the flex

inbox24

International Debutant
Does anyone think Warner and Hughes possible future opening for Australia? Warner for ODIs and Hughes for tests.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner completely carving it up here, 97 off 52 atm. Amazing stuff.
Knew this would happen when I posted it. Not watching atm, but Cricinfo's not happy:
16.2 Doherty to Warner, OUT, horrible, horrible decision. That ball was missing leg by about a foot. A very unfortunate way to end an incredible innings, just short of back to back FRC centuries.
DA Warner lbw b Doherty 97 (54b 15x4 2x6) SR: 179.62

Craig

World Traveller
Warner completely carving it up here, 97 off 52 atm. Amazing stuff.
And out for 97 LBW off Doherty. Worst LBW call I have seen in a long time, no way was that out. Maybe if there was a second set of stumps, then sure. But there isn't, so that was quite harsh.