• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sadly he'll need more than 1 good over to come back from a pasting like 1 over for 21.

Even 9 overs for 31, an excellent spell in itself, wouldn't do the trick at all.

Definately no nick on that Dhoni one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doesn't reflect in their stats. Yuvraj manages to space out his successes to provide the illusion of greater consistency.
I'd prefer him doing that than having the virtually-no success Sehwag had between January 2003 and May 2008.

Sehwag in 2002 (and in the last few games) > anything Yuvraj has ever achieved, but Yuvraj has done far more for much longer than Sehwag has.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well, he's been rock of the middle order since 2005. Sehwag this year only found a permanent footing.
Well, then explain their similar stats. Sehwag had Tendulkar and Ganguly for competition at the top of the order. Yuvraj has had it comparatively easier in the middle order. More competition affords greater opportunities to drop a player.

Precambrian

Banned
Well, then explain their similar stats. Sehwag had Tendulkar and Ganguly for competition at the top of the order. Yuvraj has had it comparatively easier in the middle order. More competition affords greater opportunities to drop a player.
Not at all, it is a reality that the higher averages are reserved for positions 1 to 3 (Get to play more), and 5-6-7, where there are notouts. Yuvi has done most of his work at No.4, which falls in between. Y

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They're milking Swann now, aren't they. Another in the long line of anodyne English offies like Batty, Dawson et al afaics. Harmless chaps all of them, certainly not posing any sort of threat to the batsmen and risklessly taken for 5+ an over.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Broad left field. What happened? Mid-over bowel crisis?
Looks like a hamstring.
More significantly, look at their stats for the time in question. As I say, overall career averages rarely tell you much. Sehwag's good being brilliant disguises the fact that his bad has been often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They're milking Swann now, aren't they. Another in the long line of anodyne English offies, afaics.
Swann > any other England spinner since Robert Croft. He's being milked now as the ball will presumably resemble a bar of soap.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Shreevats Goswami is an Indian U-19 male wicketkeeper whereas who you're presumably thinking of is Jhulan Goswami who is the strike bowler in the Indian Women's cricket team.
Oh, I was under the impression India were going to try and beat England by fielding a bunch of women..

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not at all, it is a reality that the higher averages are reserved for positions 1 to 3 (Get to play more), and 5-6-7, where there are notouts. Yuvi has done most of his work at No.4, which falls in between. Y
I'd like to see the research that conveniently divides the batting order into three such blocks instead of just two or even four. There are no blocks, just a gradual slope from 1 to 11. The fact that not outs do not contribute to the dismissals column compensates for this. Yuvraj has a lot more not outs than Sehwag leading to a greater average, and Sehwag has a significantly higher Strike rate, compensating for the lower average. There is no basis for claiming that Yuvraj is definitely the superior ODI batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hopefully India will now look to wait for Flintoff to bowl these 2 overs then take the Powerplay to race home.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Looks like a hamstring.

More significantly, look at their stats for the time in question. As I say, overall career averages rarely tell you much. Sehwag's good being brilliant disguises the fact that his bad has been often.
The inconsistencies you perceive on part of Sehwag should reflect in his stats by way of a lower number of fifties and hundreds and higher peaks with the hundreds he does have. That is not the case here. You're simply missing the point that Sehwag has been more likely to face the axe simply by way of facing better competition in the top order than Yuvraj has faced in the middle order.