• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Resting Gambhir's fine but I don't see the point of resting Patel. He didn't play any of the Tests against Australia so you'd think he'd be fresh and champing at the bit to get a game and show his stuff.

jondavluc

State Regular
They shouldn't of dropped Bell but I do argee with Cook being put in.Harmison I don't think is great but anderson needs to work on his bowling he has been bowling crap,

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wonder if Pathan will open the bowling.
Yes he will, sensible decision.

Odd that it's going to be Bopara-Cook rather than Cook-Bopara. I'm sure it always used to be the other way around in those under-19 WC games I looked at a week or so ago.

I wonder when the last time England u19 ODI openers ended-up opening in a full ODI was? If ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, in the time the forum's down Pathan starts with an 8-legbye maiden, Bopara gets away with a plumb lbw, and Cook edges one that should've been left to be a wide to first-slip. :sleep:

Pietersen back at three.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes he will, sensible decision.

Odd that it's going to be Bopara-Cook rather than Cook-Bopara. I'm sure it always used to be the other way around in those under-19 WC games I looked at a week or so ago.

I wonder when the last time England u19 ODI openers ended-up opening in a full ODI was? If ever.
No idea. I was wondering when we last saw 2 Essex players opening the batting for England.

As for Cook's dismissal, I suppose they'll get slaughtered for leaving wide balls in this form of the game, and ditto if they edge one they could have left. Either way most of our guys are still crap at it, so what can you do?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Reckon you'd be disappointed if I didn't 8-) this part of your post.

Slightly in jest, of course.

tooextracool

International Coach
Talk about a poor stroke, something a tailender would play rather than the team captain. Pietersen continuing his run of batting like a walking wicket in this form of the game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's sad, but I'm much more interested in watching the end of the one dayer between Western Australia and Victoria than this match. Really haven't been able to get into this series at all. Hopefully the Tests will grab me a bit more.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah Pietersen not looking good at all here. We know he can turn matters around very quickly and he could easily do so any point in any innings, but he's not started well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, Sky commentators annoy me. For ages they've been going-on about how Pietersen must bat three, now they're complaining about Shah being pushed down from there, based on one innings in a 22-over game!!!!!!!!!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, brilliant logic to bring in another out of form batsman in to bat to join the other out of form batsman.
Not the first piece this series either.

Meanwhile, poor effort by Bopara to get out when & how he did. Looks like no-one actually wants to nail down on eof the openers' slots for England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm truly astonished that the number of dot-balls bowled per team this series before this game is near enough identical.

You'd have thought for sure that India had bowled far, far more.

tooextracool

International Coach
Whether Pietersen or Shah would be best utilized by coming in during the first 10 overs is questionable to say the least. Shah is better off at 5 or 6 IMO, Collingwood should also be batting around the same position while Flintoff should be the one utilizing the powerplays. Its just ludicrous that the better players of spin- Collingwood and Shah are or have batting/batted above Flintoff who is a better player of pace.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Flintoff hasn't helped himself with his play of spin this series at all either. Hasn't played to his strengths.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wonder if Pathan might be the sort of bowler to get Collingwood back into nick.

With Collingwood, you always want to as a seamer bowl outside off-stump and swing it away and as a spinner bowl slowly through the air. Likewise you always want to have the field up early on (which is one reason why he's had no success whatsoever at four). So many bowlers (and captains) down the years have failed to realise this.