• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official England in India***

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This will be a good start
"Since October 2008 (starting from the one-day series between New Zealand and Bangladesh) rules have been changed. Now the batting team decides when to introduce either the second or the third Powerplay during their innings."

So why can't India choose in this match? Were they forced to use their 3rd or something?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not watching, but as per Cricinfo:
"This is ridiculous. India have no choice in the third Powerplay. Now England can choose all three. Very strange. And when England bat, they get the chance to pick the batting Powerplay. Thats just plain stupid logic. What is the ICC doing about such blunders?"

Can someone explain to me how the new powerplay rule works? Unbelievably I have not followed ODI cricket for ages, and hence I know the batting team can choose a powerplay, but what is the actual system? And why has the rain screwed this one up not allowing India to choose when to use theirs?
The normal system, which works juuuuuuuust fine when there's no interruption of an in-progress 50 overs, is 10 overs of compulsory Powerplay in the first 10 overs, 5 chosen by the fielding side and 5 chosen by the batting side.

What appears to be the problem is that this has been altered after it's already happened. What was the first 10 has been changed to the first 9 after 10 overs have been completed, which I don't think makes any sense whatsoever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Since October 2008 (starting from the one-day series between New Zealand and Bangladesh) rules have been changed. Now the batting team decides when to introduce either the second or the third Powerplay during their innings."

So why can't India choose in this match? Were they forced to use their 3rd or something?
They went off after 14 overs. Had the break not happened, there'd have been 1 over left of the fielding-chosen Powerplay with 5 overs of batting-chosen remaining. However, because the things were changed after they had already happened, it was adjudged India had taken a Powerplay.

Precambrian

Banned

By some quirk. both sides PP were reduced, with 9 overs PP1, 4 overs PP2, and 4 batting PP. However, India had already reached the 15th over, so they have started their bloc of batting PP by 1 over, without them knowing, so had to utilise the remaining 3 overs. I knw it sounds crazy. Better thing would be to make the second PP bloc = 5 overs, and the batting pp = 3 overs. That way India could have had a say when to take PP for them.

PS - Not that it would matter in this match I think. This interruption could further reduce overs, and England might not get any batting PP at all.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Here are feeds from the questions asked to Srinath and Thorpey:

Is Sachin doing much?:
Srinath: You have not understood the game properly.

Why disturb a winning combination?:
Sri: Why disturb a winning combination? Tendulkar has been a little rusty and should have been eased in at a middle order position.
Thorpey: Tendulkar can bat well at any position. We'd like to see a team with good openers for Tests and ODIs

Why is Harmison out and Patel in?
Thorpey: Patel was picked because they're playing in the subcontinent. Harmison is useful when there's bounce. But they need to rethink their strategy for playing in India

Your opinion on the drastic improvement in the team with the coming of Kirsten?
Sri: The seniors are the ones who really run the team. At times of friction in the team, the coaches play a huge role. The coach is also needed to groom the youngsters. Gary is doing a tremendous job.

And it's wet, wet, wet and we see it pouring.

Precambrian

Banned
Here are feeds from the questions asked to Srinath and Thorpey:

Is Sachin doing much?:
Srinath: You have not understood the game properly.

Why disturb a winning combination?:
Sri: Why disturb a winning combination? Tendulkar has been a little rusty and should have been eased in at a middle order position.
Thorpey: Tendulkar can bat well at any position. We'd like to see a team with good openers for Tests and ODIs

Why is Harmison out and Patel in?
Thorpey: Patel was picked because they're playing in the subcontinent. Harmison is useful when there's bounce. But they need to rethink their strategy for playing in India

Your opinion on the drastic improvement in the team with the coming of Kirsten?
Sri: The seniors are the ones who really run the team. At times of friction in the team, the coaches play a huge role. The coach is also needed to groom the youngsters. Gary is doing a tremendous job.

And it's wet, wet, wet and we see it pouring.
Winning combination?? Ha Ha my foot. He was part of the squad when the Indians won the CB series, and but for him, they had no chance.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The normal system, which works juuuuuuuust fine when there's no interruption of an in-progress 50 overs, is 10 overs of compulsory Powerplay in the first 10 overs, 5 chosen by the fielding side and 5 chosen by the batting side.
I think that is a big shout. The rules have only been like that for a short period. Im not sure we can say with any confidence that it is a good addition.

I personally dont like it (an additional artificial mechanism that dilutes the purity of the game) but Im not saying it cant be beneficial in the eyes of many.

What Im saying is, I dont see how you can say the it works.just fine when it has only just been introduced.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
ODIs have no purity to spoil TBH.
Poor usage of a term by me. 'Purity' is probably the wrong word.

I meant it takes away from the basics of batting and bowling and tries to add an point of interest with tactical choices from both captains of when and where fielders can be positioned.

Its an unneeded and awkward complication. Let them just play cricket without trying to add extra layers of crap on top.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Winning combination?? Ha Ha my foot. He was part of the squad when the Indians won the CB series, and but for him, they had no chance.
He's referring to Gambhir-Sehwag at the top of the order, which is the very successful combination for India in tests, India in ODIs when Tendulkar decides not to play, Delhi in Ranji and the Delhi daredevils in the IPL. And has a good chance or remaining so for quite a few years. Added to the fact that Tendulkar's a better middle-order player than either of them, i don't think putting him straight back at the top is the right call.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Poor usage of a term by me. 'Purity' is probably the wrong word.

I meant it takes away from the basics of batting and bowling and tries to add an point of interest with tactical choices from both captains of when and where fielders can be positioned.

Its an unneeded and awkward complication. Let them just play cricket without trying to add extra layers of crap on top.
Yea, while I would agree if it was Tests, I think ODIs, if they are to be viable, constantly need to change as the format (in the opinion of many, including me) is very stagnant. I've not been a fan of limited overs cricket, ODI or T20, but there's no doubt it drives the finances of the game, so I can understand why they are trying to keep it more relevant in the days of T20. If and when T20 takes over, I think some people are worried that it won't be as lucrative.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So 22-over a side. India have already batted 17 overs, so I hope the target gets revised upward significantly. Not fair to bat with 50 overs in mind, and then have this happen. But I think D/L does revise the target upward, no?

Precambrian

Banned
He's referring to Gambhir-Sehwag at the top of the order, which is the very successful combination for India in tests, India in ODIs when Tendulkar decides not to play, Delhi in Ranji and the Delhi daredevils in the IPL. And has a good chance or remaining so for quite a few years. Added to the fact that Tendulkar's a better middle-order player than either of them, i don't think putting him straight back at the top is the right call.
Tendulkar-Sehwag combo is as good as Gambhir-Sehwag.

Plus Gambhir is best at No.3 where he averages about 49 from 19 ODIs.

Tendulkar has made it clear before also that he is not confortable at No.4.

So when Tendulkar comes back, it is better for India as Gambhir gets to perform at where he is best, plus Tendulkar at where he is best. Win-Win.

And Sehwag-Tendulkar partnership goes way back before IPL, and other stuff.

Precambrian

Banned
So 22-over a side. India have already batted 17 overs, so I hope the target gets revised upward significantly. Not fair to bat with 50 overs in mind, and then have this happen. But I think D/L does revise the target upward, no?
Yep. But by how much we have to see. Good thing is Sehwag and Gambhir operated at enough pace (above 6) and when that is taken in the context of a 50 over game reduced, can provide a big boost to the Indian total.

EDIT - Cricinfo says should India reach 144 for any no. of wickets in 22 overs, England will have to chase down 181.

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
Yep. But by how much we have to see. Good thing is Sehwag and Gambhir operated at enough pace (above 6) and when that is taken in the context of a 50 over game reduced, can provide a big boost to the Indian total.

EDIT - Cricinfo says should India reach 144 for any no. of wickets in 22 overs, England will have to chase down 181.
Yeesh, that'd be a tough cookie. India need another 20 runs in 3 overs to make that happen.:ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mickey mouse cricket. All India needs is to slog and slog till they get a 150+ total. Wickets dont matter now.
Yeah, the fact that the commentators never comprehend this fact really grinds my gears. Unless D/L comes into play AGAIN between now and the end of India's innings, the number of wickets lost is of absolutely no consequence (unless it's 10, obviously).