• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was assuming the gent concerned was originally down to umpire but then had to field as a stopgap - was I right to do so?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You did get it Easton's the man - it wasn't his debut - I had to edit the question
HA HA HA

I gave up on this question because I knew this is how it is going to end up.

It is possible to get a list of all those who scored a duck on debut HERE and after painfully going through each and every West Indian listed here and checking their debut match score cards, I still kept getting 'No' and 'No' and yet more 'No'es.

What a waste of time ?
:ranting:

archie mac

International Coach
HA HA HA

I gave up on this question because I knew this is how it is going to end up.

It is possible to get a list of all those who scored a duck on debut HERE and after painfully going through each and every West Indian listed here and checking their debut match score cards, I still kept getting 'No' and 'No' and yet more 'No'es.

What a waste of time ?
:ranting:
It is a fair old list, much longer then I would have thought:wacko:

You could pick a pretty fair XI out of that lot:ph34r:

stumpski

International Captain
I was assuming the gent concerned was originally down to umpire but then had to field as a stopgap - was I right to do so?

I always thought it was more likely to be the other way round - after all, anyone can do a bit of fielding (and most umpires would be a bit too long in the tooth) but few players would have the experience and confidence to stand in a Test. I went through the scorecards of the nine Tests Sydney hosted in the 1880s and found this match, in which William Gunn deputised for John Swift. There have been a few instances of emergency umpires being used in county games - I remember Alan Butcher doing so in a game at the Oval a year or two back - but generally the 'official' umpire will stand at the bowler's end throughout.

archie mac

International Coach
I always thought it was more likely to be the other way round - after all, anyone can do a bit of fielding (and most umpires would be a bit too long in the tooth) but few players would have the experience and confidence to stand in a Test. I went through the scorecards of the nine Tests Sydney hosted in the 1880s and found this match, in which William Gunn deputised for John Swift. There have been a few instances of emergency umpires being used in county games - I remember Alan Butcher doing so in a game at the Oval a year or two back - but generally the 'official' umpire will stand at the bowler's end throughout.
Yes that is it, well done mate, your turn:)

wisden18

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
generally the 'official' umpire will stand at the bowler's end throughout.
Indeed: Law 3.2:

An umpire shall not be changed during the match, other than in exceptional circumstances, unless he is injured or ill. If there has to be a change of umpire, the replacement shall act only as the striker's end umpire unless the captains agree that he should take full responsibility as an umpire.

archie mac

International Coach
Indeed: Law 3.2:

An umpire shall not be changed during the match, other than in exceptional circumstances, unless he is injured or ill. If there has to be a change of umpire, the replacement shall act only as the striker's end umpire unless the captains agree that he should take full responsibility as an umpire.
Was that the law at the time?:unsure:

wisden18

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Was that the law at the time?:unsure:
Well no, not exactly.

In the first code of laws, in 1774: it simply said, with regard to umpires:

To allow 2 minutes for each man to come in when one is out, and 10 minutes between Each Hand to mark the Ball, that it may not be changed. They are sole judges of all outs and ins, of all fair and unfair Play, of frivolous delays, of all hurts, whether real or pretended, and are discretionally to allow whatever time they think Proper before the Game goes on again. In case of a real hurt to a striker, they are to allow another to come in, and the Person hurt to come in again, but are not to allow a fresh Man to Play on either side on any Account. They are sole judges of all hindrances, crossing the Players in running, and Standing unfair to Strike, and in case of hindrance may order a notch to be scored. They are not to order any man out unless appealed to by one of the Players. These Laws are to the Umpires Jointly. Each Umpire is the Sole Judge of all Nips and Catches, Ins and Outs, good or bad runs at his own Wicket, and his determination shall be absolute, and he shall not be changed for another Umpire without the Consent of both Sides. When the 4 Balls are bowled he is to call over. These Laws are seperately. When both Umpires shall call Play 3 Times, tis at the Peril of giving the Game from them that refuses Play.

Then by 1884, we have something rather interesting:

Law 51 No umpire shall be allowed to bet.
Law 52 No Umpire shall be changed during a match, unless with the consent of both sides, except in case of violation of Law 51; then either side may dismiss him.

It's not until the 2000 code, that there is mention of a replacement standing only at the striker's end.

So short answer, archie: No:dry: