• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Did you get a bowl?
I didnt want to but I captained and was pressured into it ie "take responsibility".

I bowled off only 5 steps and I am still sore today :)

Something like 8 overs 3 wickets for 16 or 20 runs. Nothing particularly interesting or special.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, 1 thing I forgot to mention about my innings was my 2nd ball.

I pulled my 2nd ball for 6 and it pinned a security guard.

He dropped like a stone and I honestly thought Id killed him. People ran to help and I walked the other way to the far boundary.

I was shaking like a leaf as I thought Id done some serious damage. I was really upset. The guy was down for about 10 mins. It turned out it that it got him in the middle of the back rather than the head. Damage was done but he was ultimately ok.

The most scared Ive ever been on a cricket field. I think that incident is what made me just go after every ball. I was still shaking for the next few overs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope, not nice at all. At a game a few years ago I was fielding in the covers and a massive six was smashed in the opposite direction from me towards the pavilion, which was level with the ground, not raised. All day there'd been a dog there. This ball went up a long way and came down straight on the thing's head. We found-out later that the vet said it'd have been killed instantly. The poor bloke who hit the shot was inconsoleable. He had about 40 or so at the time and ended-up with 120, and he said to one of my team-mates that he'd never felt less "there" while scoring runs.

Can only guess at what the dog's owners thought. Apparently they always brought it along to the cricket and had presumably never given a thought to such a thing happening.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hahaha. This is a good one. Tomorrow, the XI who'd normally have been playing for Exeter 2nds are playing for Exeter 3rds (so as to get maximum points in a possibly forlorn attempt to stay in D Division West). This means that those who would've been playing for the 3rds are... yes, playing for the 2nds. As there's nothing riding on that game.

So I'm playing 2nds Premier Division cricket. :laugh: Which is 5 divisions up from normal. I just hope against hope we bat first, else it's probably going to be 10-90-1 or something. AND a much later finish than would be the case if we got bowled-out for 40.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Hahaha. This is a good one. Tomorrow, the XI who'd normally have been playing for Exeter 2nds are playing for Exeter 3rds (so as to get maximum points in a possibly forlorn attempt to stay in D Division West). This means that those who would've been playing for the 3rds are... yes, playing for the 2nds. As there's nothing riding on that game.

So I'm playing 2nds Premier Division cricket. :laugh: Which is 5 divisions up from normal. I just hope against hope we bat first, else it's probably going to be 10-90-1 or something. AND a much later finish than would be the case if we got bowled-out for 40.
Disgraceful really. IIRC there is a rule in the Cheshire leagues that if you've played x amount of games for the 1st team, you can't appear for the 2nds in the last few weeks of the season. And as has been pointed out as we (the 2nds) battle relegation, it's not really a big deal if we get relegated. 2nd teams are so transient that the standard in the division below is much like the standard in our division.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I used to do Athletics for Wirral, as a first year Junior ran in the B team who were one division below the A. IIRC we got promoted and they got relegated, oopsies found myself in the same division the next year!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Disgraceful really. IIRC there is a rule in the Cheshire leagues that if you've played x amount of games for the 1st team, you can't appear for the 2nds in the last few weeks of the season.
There is indeed such a ruling here too - but as Third XIs are so rare, there is no such rule govorning the switching between Seconds and Thirds.

I hope it works though because the team who we're fighting to send down have been playing First XI players in their Seconds for several weeks now.
And as has been pointed out as we (the 2nds) battle relegation, it's not really a big deal if we get relegated. 2nd teams are so transient that the standard in the division below is much like the standard in our division.
First and Second XIs around here are pretty set-in-stone - Third XI often really struggles to get 11 on the park though, which annoys me considerably.

Chubb

International Regular

That happens in the DCL all the time. We could have done it as the IIs were in a spot of bother and the Is went up as champions without too much difficulty when the G division ended a couple of weeks ago (as there are so few teams in it), but we decided not to. Fortunately we won last week and have a 16-point buffer going in to the last game tomorrow, against Countess Wear IIs who are trying to ensure their own promotion. I wouldn't put it past that lot to swap the XIs over.

I actually thought that Neil's team switch their sides over last year when they played us near the end of the season (as chronicled elsewhere in this thread) but he put me right.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No. Not close to. Probably equivalent to Division 4/5 in a County all-through league: has seemed similar to Cherwell League 5.

FTR, it's a disgrace and I hope we go down.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Near Minor county standard?
First XI Premier Division is where the Devon players come from (Devon remember are a Minor County). Second XI Premier Division is for the players who can't get into these First XIs - and there's usually 2-3 Devon squad players absolute tops per strong First XI. Exeter does have a strong First and Second XI and there've been county age-group players between 15 and 18 play in Exeter's Second XI without being outclassed.

But even the strongest First XI league club teams would struggle badly in Minor County cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FTR, it's a disgrace and I hope we go down.
In a way it'd be better for our players if we did, as E Division (as I'm sure you remember) is of a shockingly poor quality and there'd be huge average-boosting to be had there. Even for me.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry to divert from the current conversation, but would anyone be interested to read a pretty long round up of my entire season?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I had a couple of season diaries on two sites and here is my introduction to both. This was written on April 11th.

I am a left arm medium pace bowler who bowls predominant outswing to the right hander. Over the winter, I have worked on increasing my pace and adding an inswinger to my repertoire. My cousin owns a speed gun and I have recently been timed, in indoor nets after a long net session, at 62mph; this is an increase from my previous best, last season of 58mph. I am someone regarded as a geniune number 11 because of my 'Dhoni-esque' shufflly style which does not look comfortable to the ridiculously untrained eye but do capitalise when I get my rare chance up the order

Started my 'pre-season' in late September/early October by going to club winter nets. I started off attempting a Wasim Akram-esque quick wippy action, but after a few weeks, was back to my standard action. Throughout the nets, I worked up an okay pace, timing at 62mph in one of the net sessions and 60-61mph on my seven other timed deliveries. The coach at the sessions was trying to help me add an inswinger to my repetoire, as you need not be a genius to see the potential affect of such an ability for a left arm over the wicket medium pace bowler. Trying several grips, changes in action could only give me occasional, sporadic inswing, but it was a good focus point for the sessions, despite it being to no avail. School winter nets were moreso aimless for me; as it became clear that I wasn't to make the step up to First XI cricket from age-group cricket but rather rot in the low level of Second XI cricket for school. I moved into the First XI net for one session but didn't impress and haven't gone back since.

My start to the season was in the relaxed environment of a house match but it couldn't have gone worse, itbt. I bowled with no pace or accuracy and was punished for 17 off my 2 overs. Whilst batting, I did in my right shoulder. Had a wild swing for one and felt it pop out of place and was in intense pain for a few seconds, the pain cleared up after a while, but it was not a pleasant experience and to time of writing, I still cannot throw to full intensity - yes, I throw with my right hand and bowl with my left, get over it!

My first competitive match of the season came quite late, around late May due to rain washing out a few early fixtures. It was a Sunday friendly club game for a local club, not my own mind. I bowled crap, tbh, it was an uneven astroturf surface and I simply couldn't land properly. I batted and ground out 20 before getting run out in the late overs. I was quite pleased with this, 20 is obviously not a great score, but I rarely get a chance to bat, even though I am adamant that I can bat and I think that it was a sufficient capitalisation on a rare chance in the top order.

In my first school game, I returned with 6-0-27-0, moderate returns but felt I did deserve a wicket and that I did bowl well. It would eventually be seven 'real' (non house) games before my first wicket in the season, something which tortured me and put me in an awful place mentally. In the process of this match, I twisted my ankle in the jump, similar to Fidel Edwards in the series against Australia. I did recieve some light relief in a house game the following day, where I basically walked up to the crease but managed 1.4-0-1-4 with some nice late outswing. My accuracy in the beginning of the season simply wasn't good enough and I was hardly bowling quickly either.

My poor start to the season convinced me to spend £60 on an Ian Pont video analysis and these were the points he raised in the five-page document.

Ian Pont analysis

I was rather cautious, upon opening my analysis from Ian Pont. However, any doubts I had were dismantled by what was a very comprehensive, concise and focused analysis. It is a five page document and the main points are as follows:
  • I have a safe, solid action
  • I have a weak, ineffective shuffly run up. Too flat footed and must lift up knees and pump arms more.
  • Got to jump, both further and higher
  • Must control elbows more in the action to point to the ground during jump.
  • Must have more relaxed shoulders at delivery.
  • I throw my bowling hand in front of me after backfoot impact whereas it should be by stomach or side.
  • I lift my backfoot off ground before delivery like a spinner whereas I should drag it.
  • I release the ball behind my head, should be slightly infront.
  • Must improve shoulder rotation.

Mid season is not the best time to incorperate changes, but I worked on the new load up - a vague impersonation of Brett Lee in that aspect and recieved a lot more swing and slightly better accuracy as a result. In my first game with the new load up (an U16 game), I picked up 4-1-5-1 and took a diving catch, something which noone, not least I, expected. This new load up got me started in the season, but after about 5 or 6 games, it still wasn't feeling natural and it became apparent that it hindered my pace greatly, sorta the opposite of its primary intention.

Once I had reverted back to my natural action, I began to crank up the pace for the first time in the season and started bowling very accurately - moreso than before, and economically.

The squad for Australia (a school cricket tour) was chosen in around early July and I was the second person into the room to be given the verdict. I wasn't selected. It was extremely demoralising as I was one of the few (possibly the only) probable who was both above Year 9 and wasn't given a single chance in the First XI. This put me in a very low place, because it could have been a great experience for me - but oh well.

My best spell of the season came that weekend for the (club) Saturday 4th XI in which I returned with 12-4-22-2. These figures were outlined by very good accuracy on my behalf and could have been even more extraordinary had the bouncer I bowled been caught on the boundary and not tipped over for six. I continued to bowl well for the 4th XI, picking up 1-2 wickets in each game and bowling pretty economically too. As people started to go on holiday, I got into the 3rd XI and bowled similarly well there, picking up 1-2 wickets a game and bowling economically, again.

Friendlies have become the norm toward the end of the season and I have done pretty well in them. I managed to score 46 off 40 balls in a U16 friendly on a shocking track. This is my top score to date and I was a little peeved not to get a fifty but happy nonetheless that I scored some runs, again, when promoted up the order. My pace has picked up as August draws to its end as I suspect I have got stronger - my accuracy has also improved somewhat and I am feeling in very good form (always the weekend to ruin that!).

In summary, the season:

For four saturdays during the school term, I played...

2nd XI school cricket - A low level but one in which I did not capitalise in taking wickets in due to attempting to change my action which consequently lost me pace and also that we did only play 4 games in the season. Angry not to be given a chance in the 1st XI and not get on the Australia Tour (which is scheduled for Dec 2009 btw). Team was undefeated.

On Friday evenings, I played...

U16 club cricket - I opened the bowling throughout the season and picked up toward the end of the season. I did not pick up many wickets, but was economical throughout and bowled a few good spells. Team came third in the league.

After the school term, on saturdays, I played...

4th XI club cricket - Became an integral part of the side with my bowling which was often probing and occasionally reaped rewards. Team finished low mid table.

3rd XI club cricket - Played very well in my chances in the 3rd XI. Impressed all that saw me bowl with my lively pace and occasional 'jaffa'. Team came second in the league.

On Sundays and during the midweek in summer holidays, I played...

Club Friendlies - Have bowled well, picked up a fair few wickets. Don't usually bowl to full capacity in friendlies, but have bowled some okay spells and woohoo, scored 46 off 40 in a U16 friendly, as mentioned above.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over the winter, I wish to persevere with a winter physical training programme whose aim is to get me to increase my pace to 70mph an ambitious but imo achievable aim. This is my provisional programme, which is subject to change.

Daily

Boxing heavy bag - Three minutes high intensity for each stance (left and right).
Planks - A plank for maximum time; twice per day, not immediately consecutive.
Hamstring stretch - Leg on elevated surface for 30s, both legs. Twice per day.
Quad stretch - Standard quad stretch for 30s, both legs. Twice per day.
Negative chin ups - Working up weekly from one per day*
Squats - Working up weekly from two per day
Shrugs - 7kg (approx) dumbells. 10 reps per day.
Rows - Need to learn technique first, but will likely be 10 per day.

*They give me soreness around the left lat, as I have mentioned before, but this muscle may simply be left tender due to bowling - is it worth doing them in that is the reward worth it?

Twice (might be once) a week

Interval sprints - Likely to be 20kph for 30m for six '6 ball overs'.
Rowing machine - 50m as quick as possible on resistance 4 with 10 reps (30s imbetween reps)
Machine circuit - Upper body machines (sitting pully, chest compressor; sitting press, etc); each 4 sets of 5 reps with high weight.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
One tip - don't go OTT on the gym work, look at Alex Tudor as a prime example and learn from that.

You're what 15/16 and you'll naturally get stronger, I can bowl 70mph tops indoors which is a damn sight more than last season.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
One tip - don't go OTT on the gym work, look at Alex Tudor as a prime example and learn from that.
On the other hand, look at Graham Napier, who bowls 90mph due to his time spent in the gym over various off-seasons.

You're what 15/16 and you'll naturally get stronger, I can bowl 70mph tops indoors which is a damn sight more than last season.
Ye, I'm 16 going on 17 in November - how old are you?