• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My right knee has an injury to a ligament round the back, but i've decided to play on it regardless. Playing my first club cricket game this season on sunday, it should hold up. Only other game i've played this year, Bangor got dicked by Chester. We were 75ao and they knocked them off, 79-3.

My contribution:
0* from 10, was just holding an end up whilst the one guy who got any runs was at the other end, he got out for 48, leaving me with a mighty Uni Cricket batting average of 13 forever more.

Only got to bowl 1 over, which frankly pissed me off. Day was sunny but hazy as, was just asking for someone to swing it and with a small total someone with accuracy would've been good, but no, the guy with the Harmison action was put on and promptly sprayed it everywhere. My figures were good considering i had the eternal left/right hander problem to deal with, no balls down legside, one ball was a touch too straight to the leftie and he got a single, right hander played and missed all his 3 balls because of the huge swing. 1-0-1-0.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think it was a case of them being amazing, ball was swinging, our batsmen were basically just ****. When it came to us bowling we didn't use the only guy on the team who can actually get away movement. *shakes head*

Naah played at Bangor, decent ground actually as Bangor are in the top Welsh division or something or other.

Chubb

International Regular
Newman University College 98 a/o
UEA IIs 99-1 (T. Vehvilainen 27* D. Sargeant 21* Chubb 17)

My generation's time at the UEA CC ended with a ludicrously one-sided thrashing of the worst side I have ever seen play in the BUSA tournament. They were ridiculously bad. It looked like most of them had only picked up a bat a month ago. Their opener left a straight one. The tail started at 6. It was stupidly easy to dismiss them. In fairness, though, two of their number put up some fight to lift them into the nineties. I actually got fined for excessive diving in the field. All part of the game.

The bowling was if anything worse than the batting. I opened and faced the first ball- the opening bowler was 40 mph max- I had to delay my shot for what seemed like an age. It was actually fairly difficult to get value for shots, because the outfield was wet and very long. We made our way slowly to 50, aided by large numbers of wides. Unfortunately, Vehvilainen ran me out. The delivery was going down the leg side so I left it, but it brushed my back leg and rolled down to fine leg. I immediately shouted "No, no, dead ball"- because I had not played a shot. But he ran through anyway. I was left stranded. He said at the time it was his call (which I accept) but I knew I hadn't played a shot at the ball and it was pointless taking a run. He apologised later. I didn't mind that much really, though it was quite disappointing to end my last Uni cricket innings in that way.

There is a pleasing symmetry to this game, as in my first match for the UEA we were the ones getting thrashed. I got a golden duck on that occassion, but now I can look back at three years that have changed my cricket beyond all recognition. It is all thanks to the University of East Anglia cricket club. I'm going to miss it. We have one last occassion before we leave though- the annual sixes tournament. Our team consists of our house, one of our mates and Sargeant the star batsman, so hopefully the Earlham Road Knight Riders will be victorious.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We lost last night in a cup game, as well as myself wrecking by back when I was running full tilit down a slope to stop the ball, sliding and smashing into a concrete bench. Hurt like a bitch and I can't play for a few weeks :@
You weren't here in the summer of '06, but there's someone who can identify with that. :laugh: (Not :laugh: at your injury BTW, just at the similarity to said other)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
thinking of retiring from cricket this year...knees to ****ed.
My right knee has an injury to a ligament round the back
Must be going around CW. Michael Vaughan has infected the population.
but i've decided to play on it regardless.
Have tried doing that but I simply can't jump into my bowling-action, and hence if I were to try to bowl I'd end-up missing the cut-strip and bowling triple-bouncers etc. It's a bit better the last few days and I'm - possibly unwisely - down to play on Sunday. But I don't see it holding-up TBH.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
We won on Sunday, in what turned out to be a cracking game.

We made 158 in our 40 overs, and in reply the opposition were 90 for 5 with 10 overs to go.
Their number 7 then came in and gave an exhibition of clean hiting, striking some phenomenal sixes against our hitherto tight bowling attack.

With 2 overs to go, our captain dropped him - a complete sitter too!

Off the last over they needed 12 runs and got 6 off the first 5 deliveries.

With 6 needed from the final ball, we all patrolled the boundary, but he still managed to get a one bounce four! So we won by the finest of margins off the final delivery.

A great game to be involved in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Frightening how close you can be sometimes to death\serious-injury while ending-up with nothing particularly bad.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I posted pictures of it in this thread...

Saturday, meanwhile is a confirmed debut for Bicester II v Didcot I. Can't really believe I'm playing 2nd XI in a four team club, but I'm the only person left registered who has any recent experience of glovework (must be registered to play Is/IIs). Why I'm registered ITFP is anyone's guess, but here we are...

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didcot I 230-8
Bicester & North Oxford II 231-3

We were in all sorts of bother. Our captain and opening bowler went off injured within an hour of the game beginning, and after 35 overs Didcot were 191-0. We had barely had a sniff of either opening batsmen (one very loud caught behind appeal was more in hope than expectation), before the old adage of "never run on a misfield" saw to their number one for a meagre 129 off far fewer deliveries. We then tightened the screw spectacularly, only conceding one or two boundaries in the final third of the innings, keeping Didcot to 230 from their 52 overs. I conceded two byes, both in the last ten overs, which irritated me, but on the whole I kept pretty cleanly against the fastest bowling I've ever played with - I've never consistently taken the ball head-height fingers-pointing-up whilst standing 12 yards back from the stumps before. I did technically drop one chance, but it was a thick edge to a cut from a left-hander, stood up, and I only got the outside of my left index finger on the ball. I also managed to get hit on the thumb by one of the openers as he literally cut the ball out of my hands. Which bloody well hurt.

We were then reasonably comfortable in our response, getting there with six of our 48 overs in hand, our Oxfordshire U17 opener making 79 and our number three 98*. Job done, and a successful afternoon not disgracing myself in the highest level of cricket I've been selected on merit for.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I did technically drop one chance, but it was a thick edge to a cut from a left-hander, stood up, and I only got the outside of my left index finger on the ball.
That's not a chance. Take it from someone who knows about these things.