• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Christ, I hope not. Who will replace? There is only 1 candidate, IMO, and that is Strauss.

KP and Flintoff are not the right type of people and Collingwood isnt a long term option.

I wonder if part of this comes from the 2nd Test where Vaughan was disgusted with the selectors and the selectors didnt like his reaction.

Vaughan may feel it isnt a golden job anymore and time to move on and the selectors may agree.

Bad move IMO and his chances of getting dropped have just increased tenfold.
Monty for England captain!

chalky

International Debutant
Gotta love that optimism from Mick...

Seriously tho, he's been a great captain (arguably our best since Brearley) but looks in bad nick (well, as bad as such an attractive player will ever look) and, god knows, we can't afford passengers just now.

Strauss to take over, I assume (and hope)?
Should be wants to stay on as a batsman really.

Last edited:

gio

U19 Cricketer
Christ, I hope not. Who will replace? There is only 1 candidate, IMO, and that is Strauss.

KP and Flintoff are not the right type of people and Collingwood isnt a long term option.

I wonder if part of this comes from the 2nd Test where Vaughan was disgusted with the selectors and the selectors didnt like his reaction.

Vaughan may feel it isnt a golden job anymore and time to move on and the selectors may agree.

Bad move IMO and his chances of getting dropped have just increased tenfold.
The problem with Strauss is, he has only just got back into the side, but he hasn't looked good at all. It's not unquestionable that Strauss will continue to fail and the pressure on Vaughan will just be repeated on Strauss.

I will be very disappointed in Vaughan and the management if he is replaced, as England really need a strong captain at the moment, and despite his poor form, he's still far and away the best choice, IMO.

Like you Goughy, I'm sure the comments after Headingley will have had a big impact on the management. Also, I'm not sure how happy Moores is with Vaughan. Troubled times... and I fear it's due to the usual over reaction when England lose a series.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Troubled times... and I fear it's due to the usual over reaction when England lose a series.
Exactly. England came pretty close to winning at Edgbaston and going to the Oval with the series level. It wasn't as if they were "flippin murdered" in the match - far from it.

gio

U19 Cricketer
I hope to god that Vaughan is just pulling out for one game to allow him to regain form in county matches. It will allow someone like Shah to come in to prove himself, or Harmison/Jones for a 5 man attack.

The more I think about it, the more disasterous it would be for Vaughan to step down, IMO. There just isn't a natural replacement.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I hope to god that Vaughan is just pulling out for one game to allow him to regain form in county matches. It will allow someone like Shah to come in to prove himself, or Harmison/Jones for a 5 man attack.

The more I think about it, the more disasterous it would be for Vaughan to step down, IMO. There just isn't a natural replacement.

The worst possible reasoning when discussing removing someone who's inept at any job.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apologies.
If my sig wasn't full, that would be added to the quote section.
Out of interest Richard, did you ever make a decision? You've probably stated it somewhere, but it's really not been obvious from your posts.
Well I can't say I'm terribly sorry with the result, especially as Smith ended-up being the hero of the day. Yes, he should have been out 3 times in the 70s and 80s, and I'm not going to go gushing superlative about this being the greatest innings history has seen, but I'm still pleased he got it.

SA deserve to win a series in England at last and I'm pleased enough that they have.
Major announcement by the ECB at 1pm... The end of Vaughan? Personally, I hope not.
Aye, got home at 9:30 and had Dad tell me that. Can't see it being anything else.

Think it deserves a separate thread.

chalky

International Debutant
You have got to ask questions about the selection of Sidebottom for this test when he was blatently not a 100% fit. Especially considering it was in a 4 man attack including Flintoff who doesn't have the best fitness record.

It would be interesting to see who passed him fit, did he have to undergo a fitness test or was the players word taken?

Either way a poor decision by the management/player who ever was responsible.