• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

nexxus

U19 Debutant
As far as SA are concerned, this would be a fantastic time to get JP Petersen in, Smith's gonna be in doubt as his heroics would have done his back & elbow no good. I half think the selectors will take a punt on Robin Peterson as well, despite my feelings towards him. :)

Would that be a world record for a match with the most Petersons involved?

Zondeki may get a look in too. I think at least one of those 3 will play.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as SA are concerned, this would be a fantastic time to get JP Petersen in, Smith's gonna be in doubt as his heroics would have done his back & elbow no good. I half think the selectors will take a punt on Robin Peterson as well, despite my feelings towards him. :)

Would that be a world record for a match with the most Petersons involved?

Zondeki may get a look in too. I think at least one of those 3 will play.
Zondeki took 9 wickets at 42 in CC this season, he won't be a great option.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh, he's a wing for the Natal Sharks & Springboks. :)

I meant JP Duminy.
Ah, I thought so. But then I wondered if I missed a plot twist somewhere. Yep, he looked a reasonable talent when I saw him. A pretty impressive record too.

Regarding Robin Peterson, he's dire. More talent with the bat than the ball, IMO.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I wouldn't mind seeing Robbie P in for a bit too given that I'm still a little worried with that long tail. For someone doing a holding job, he can do it well.

It's only a matter of time before Duminy plays his first test. I'd be delighted to see him play.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Unfortunately Paul Harris hasn't looked that good of late. Had a bang of a start to his career, but has since gone a bit off the boil. He's nipped in here & there, but hasn't looked threatening in the least for most of his spells.

It may have something to do with SA not really knowing what to do with a spinner, but he didn't bowl with much guile or flight, seemed to just dart them in flat and keep the runs down.

Peterson can probably do that nearly as well as Harris, and is a fair bit better with the bat....sigh.

If only Johan Botha didn't turn out to be rubbish. The selectors seem strangely hesistant to pick Thandi Tshabalala for whatever reason.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately Paul Harris hasn't looked that good of late. Had a bang of a start to his career, but has since gone a bit off the boil. He's nipped in here & there, but hasn't looked threatening in the least for most of his spells.

It may have something to do with SA not really knowing what to do with a spinner, but he didn't bowl with much guile or flight, seemed to just dart them in flat and keep the runs down.

Peterson can probably do that nearly as well as Harris, and is a fair bit better with the bat....sigh.

If only Johan Botha didn't turn out to be rubbish. The selectors seem strangely hesistant to pick Thandi Tshabalala for whatever reason.
To be fair to Harris, it hasn't been a very good series for spinners. Monty's operated with almost exactly the same strike rate, and only a fractionally cheaper economy rate.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I wouldnt be upset if no changes were made for the final Test.
Same, as I said earlier there is a lot of perplexing fickleness about at the moment. A settled side is paramount.

Only change I'd make is when we can be sure that Jones is ready, bring him in for Anderson.

Unfortunately the fitness of Sidebottom and Fred may dictate changes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Didn't Robert Croft take some wickets in the week?
Scarily, out of the English-qualified spinners bowling in our domestic season, he's the equal highest FC wicket taker with Saqlain (36 each) and Croft's have come at 21.22 compared to the former Pakistani's 27.22 apiece.

Others to feature in the highest wicket takers list include Rashid (31 @ 38.77), Batty (29 @ 26.34) & Swann (23 @ 30.69).

Put out the call to Sofia Gardens post haste!!

The fact that he has played Test Cricket for somebody else counts against him. I don't mind your Pietersens, Pattinsons and Ambroses. But playing Test Cricket for two countries is yucky.

See also, Pothas
Pothas only played ODIs for SA to be fair, but same difference, really.

Instinctively I agree with you, but I'm now of the opinion that if a bloke is playing here as a local why not select him if he's the best player available? He's taking a county place that might otherwise be filled by a native-born and/or raised son of Albion, so if we overlook him on grounds of past allegiences it's lose/lose for England.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Even thought the result didn't go the way I wanted, this was the most enjoyable Test match I've seen in my short time following the game.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Even thought the result didn't go the way I wanted, this was the most enjoyable Test match I've seen in my short time following the game.
I'd enjoyed it up to the last hour. By then I was totally deflated, and I reckon England were too.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
To be fair to Harris, it hasn't been a very good series for spinners. Monty's operated with almost exactly the same strike rate, and only a fractionally cheaper economy rate.
No it hasn't but he didn't have a good series against India too which was in suitable conditions. Monty at least had a good test at Lords. Harris has been very much bit part. It's sad really since he's one of those guys that I would have liked to succeed in what he does.

Johan Botha is improving. He's averaging 27 in ODIs this year with an economy rate of under 4 for someone bowling in the middle of the innings. He's also done well domestically. If he succeeds against Eng for the ODIs, I don't see why we can't give him a go in tests.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No it hasn't but he didn't have a good series against India too which was in suitable conditions. Monty at least had a good test at Lords. Harris has been very much bit part. It's sad really since he's one of those guys that I would have liked to succeed in what he does.

Johan Botha is improving. He's averaging 27 in ODIs this year with an economy rate of under 4 for someone bowling in the middle of the innings. He's also done well domestically. If he succeeds against Eng for the ODIs, I don't see why we can't give him a go in tests.
Going wicketless for 60 overs when you're trying to force a result kinda precludes it from being a good Test

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Going wicketless for 60 overs when you're trying to force a result kinda precludes it from being a good Test
But he still has 9 wickets this series. It's no doubt he is a better spinner than Harris and It's more a question about Harris being in the team not Monty.