• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Yea, lets keep the guy who went a long way to costing England this series - Monty Panesar. His ineptitude in the field costs more runs than he scores.

I mean he can't be trusted to bowl more than the odd over in the first innings, meanwhile our seamers get driven into the ground and can't perform properly later in the match. If any seam bowler was a bit part bowler like that they'd be out of the team like a shot.

Just what the hell does he have to do to get dropped?
With better umpiring he'd have had 4 wickets today, and probably bowled England to victory. Yes, he bowled under par but name me a spinner whos better at the moment? and dont give me any crap about using 4 fast bowlers, its hardly ever worked for England in the past when they've tried it in recent times.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty much the best available team played. They set SA 280 to win and had them 93-4. This doesn't suggest to me that anything is seriously wrong with the England team. Credit should go to South Africa for pulling off a brilliant win. Talk of wholesale changes to the England team is both unrealistic and unnecessary.
I wouldn't call 3 changes "wholesale", to be fair. Sid looks palpably suffering so should be given a rest and a chance to get his back sorted, Ambrose doesn't convince & Vaughan (who I dont seriously expect to be dropped anyway) is out of form and may be discomforted by his knee in any case.

If we accept the status quo we're buggered, frankly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Even though he was already given a life you actually think Collingwood deserved yet more?

I know he's one of the world's luckiest players, but I think even that's pushing it. The one reprieve was more than enough. (didn't see how many he got yesterday if any, to add to it)
:unsure: I don't mean he deserved more runs. Just that his innings and Flintoff's bowling on Thursday were not performances that deserved to be on the losing side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Even though he was already given a life you actually think Collingwood deserved yet more?

I know he's one of the world's luckiest players, but I think even that's pushing it. The one reprieve was more than enough. (didn't see how many he got yesterday if any, to add to it)
Just had a skim through today's posts, and I don't think I'll waste any more time arguing with you. Got a good idea who you are, mate.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone heard any reaction from Vaughan or the England team yet?
Nope, was hoping the presentation would be available through the red button or live on SSN, but to no avail.

Anyone watching in a different country see the presentation?

Napier16

Banned
With better umpiring he'd have had 4 wickets today, and probably bowled England to victory. Yes, he bowled under par but name me a spinner whos better at the moment? and dont give me any crap about using 4 fast bowlers, its hardly ever worked for England in the past when they've tried it in recent times.
Explain the three he should have got, but didn't?

I'm excluding the one he was gifted. So Prince glove and you think he should be officially awarded two scalps on Smith I assume? (LB and glove)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just back from the pub.

Excellent game of cricket. Simply the other team is allowed to play well and SA did with Smith leading the way.

I dont like Smith, but that was an innings for the ages. One of the best I have seen.

England were effectively 1 wicket away from winning. Smith took SA home.

I wouldnt be upset if no changes were made for the final Test (though personally Id add Harmison for Monty).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just back from the pub.

Excellent game of cricket. Simply the other team is allowed to play well and SA did with Smith leading the way.

I dont like Smith, but that was an innings for the ages. One of the best I have seen.

England were effectively 1 wicket away from winning. Smith took SA home.

I wouldnt be upset if no changes were made for the final Test (though personally Id add Harmison for Monty).
Basically agree, though Boucher played well too. But yeah, that's why I was so unhappy about the body language of our fielders through the latter stages of the chase. In football we say that you play until the whistle, in cricket you play til the end, simple as.

Noticed that Morkel took his pads off when only 2 more were needed. Would have been amused if Smith/Boucher had gotten out then.

Just realised that Smith has been at the crease for both SA's wins this series, possibly scored the winning runs both times as well?

Oh, and he must love Edgbaston.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much the best available team played. They set SA 280 to win and had them 93-4. This doesn't suggest to me that anything is seriously wrong with the England team. Credit should go to South Africa for pulling off a brilliant win. Talk of wholesale changes to the England team is both unrealistic and unnecessary.
Waited until I had posted before I read the posts of others.

I think this is a fair POV.

England matched up well this Test and it was closely fought. Not much between the teams.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In another sport, a side with nothing to play for would experiment a little ahead of the next challenges seems as there is only pride left to play for. Test Cricket is generally seen to be better than that, though, I guess, so changes made should really only be the same as they would be if the series was live.

Whether that is a good thing or bad I can't decide. Each Test match is important, obviously, but at the same time I'd rather start thinking about India now.

Napier16

Banned
And already the spin starts.

Didn't realise England had SA 9 down, or that it's a given that the SA tail will contribute zero between them and last 4 balls.

Morkell is a walking wicket like Chris Martin, right England fans?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Waited until I had posted before I read the posts of others.

I think this is a fair POV.

England matched up well this Test and it was closely fought. Not much between the teams.
Yeah, I think when the margin is wickets, anything from winning by 6, 5, 4 or 3 and you have to see the game to know how close it was. 5 wickets sounds like a lot, but it isn't, not really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And already the spin starts.

Didn't realise England had SA 9 down, or that it's a given that the SA tail will contribute zero between them and last 4 balls.

Morkell is a walking wicket like Chris Martin, right England fans?
Someone press the ban button, puhlease

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Explain the three he should have got, but didn't?

I'm excluding the one he was gifted. So Prince glove and you think he should be officially awarded two scalps on Smith I assume? (LB and glove)
Gifted? you're starting to sound like an idiot. Missing the stumps by LESS THAN A 1cm is not gifted. It was a good ball to Amla who had just seen one spin big and so the arm ball caught him out. ABDV got done with a nicely floated one too. Then you have the Prince and Smith. If they were both given then SA would have been in really big trouble as we'd be in the tail with almost 100 left to get.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gifted? you're starting to sound like an idiot. Missing the stumps by LESS THAN A 1cm is not gifted. It was a good ball to Amla who had just seen one spin big and so the arm ball caught him out. ABDV got done with a nicely floated one too. Then you have the Prince and Smith. If they were both given then SA would have been in really big trouble as we'd be in the tail with almost 100 left to get.

You are being generous there mate :dry: