• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Michael Holding goes on (and on and on and on) about how stupid it is to have a gap between 2nd slip and 4th slip.

Presumably this is done by captains because computer analysis shows that more catchable edges fly through 4th slip than 3rd slip. Anyone got any idea whether this is so?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It can't just be me, in fact I know it isn't as a colleague said the same thing...screenshot to come

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Off for rain again soon, surely?

Amazed we've got as much play as we have actually TBH, was thinking there'd be far more interruptions than this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I use IE, think it's 7.0 (refused to upgrade to the latest "with tab" version, thought it was poor TSTL). I block popups too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Got to give full credit to the way South Africa have batted this series, they have really put us to shame. When we have lost quick wickets, we have crumbled (except for KP/Bell @ Lord's), when they have they have steadied the ship along the way with a big partnership.

The way things are going, this could well be the first time we have lost a home series before the final Test in...seven years?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Got to give full credit to the way South Africa have batted this series, they have really put us to shame. When we have lost quick wickets, we have crumbled (except for KP/Bell @ Lord's), when they have they have steadied the ship along the way with a big partnership.

The way things are going, this could well be the first time we have lost a home series before the final Test in...seven years?
Last time was 2001, yep.

Last time before that was 1997. Aaaaaand yep, sure enough... last time before that was 1993. You can guess when the last time before that was can't you? Yes, it was 1989.

If we were to lose this it'll be the first time someone other than Australia will have had us beaten before the end of a series since West Indies in 1988. But the last time before that was India in 1986.

I daresay we can fairly safely say we're not quite as bad as we were in that 4-year period. But it's not a good sign.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Our inability to beat anyone out of what I would consider the top five, even at home, is a worry as well

The top five, IMO, Australia, Sri Lanka, india, South Africa, us, in no particular order, questioning our right to be considered in there itbt.

That being said, fully epxecting hat-tricks from Flintoff and Anderson after the break as SA are reduced to 205ao, and Cook to be 46* overnight.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Inability to beat Sri Lanka and India at home is always a worry TBH. What's frustrating is that we could very easily have done so on both counts had some small adjustments (some within our control, some not) been made to what happened.

And BTW, I wonder how much more play there'll be after Tea. Probably more than I'm expecting, as there has been all day.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Michael Holding goes on (and on and on and on) about how stupid it is to have a gap between 2nd slip and 4th slip.

Presumably this is done by captains because computer analysis shows that more catchable edges fly through 4th slip than 3rd slip. Anyone got any idea whether this is so?
Rather to my shame, this is the very point that Bumble is now making.