• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, England have everything in their favour to perform well IMO. No Steyn, a ground they have played well at in recent years and to top it off winning the toss while having the only decent spinner of either side. If they lose this, its a real worry.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you'd been watching SA in recent times you should have expected it to be Nel and Ntini opening and Morne on first-change, because that's the way it's always been when Nel's played. I'm well aware that Ntini prefers bowling second, it's very obvious. The comment was related to Morne being given the new-ball instead of Nel.

Zinzan

If you'd been watching SA in recent times you should have expected it to be Nel and Ntini opening and Morne on first-change. I'm well aware that Ntini prefers bowling second, it's very obvious. The comment was related to Morne being given the new-ball instead of Nel.
Again I'm not suprised. Personally I'd have started with Morkel and kept Nel to first change, so expected Smith to do the same

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah but it's likely your expectations were based on naivety rather than inside-knowledge, as I doubt you've looked at the scorecards of matches where those three have bowled together.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Is there any live Streams of this game working??? I have had a look...If so can you email them to me at leagueandcars at hotmail dot com. Thanks in advance.

Zinzan

Yeah but it's likely your expectations were based on naivety rather than inside-knowledge, as I doubt you've looked at the scorecards of matches where those three have bowled together.
:laugh: You condescending little cricket-snob you. On the contrary, I've watched plenty of SA over the years and have seen Nel on numerous occasions. Makes me laugh that you think 60000+ posts makes you the world Authority on cricket

By the way, Morkel bowling well thus far, Good decision Smith

Zinzan

Is there any live Streams of this game working??? I have had a look...If so can you email them to me at leagueandcars at hotmail dot com. Thanks in advance.
I'm watching on Sky here in NZ with the volume down and listening to Test Match special on the BBC five live site. I do hope Mr Boycott is covering this test

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: You condescending little cricket-snob you. On the contrary, I've watched plenty of SA over the years and have seen Nel on numerous occasions.
In which case you should expect him to open if Morkel was in the side. If you don't, you're defying logic.
Makes me laugh that you think 60000+ posts makes you the world Authority on cricket
Err - I don't.
By the way, Morkel bowling well thus far, Good decision Smith
Very possibly. Unusual decision nonetheless.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Very possibly. Unusual decision nonetheless.
Disagree, sometimes common sense has to prevail. He has been South Africa's best bowler in the series and is the quickest and you don't have any swing merchants, so you give him the new ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It may make perfect sense, but it's still not a decision you could really be expecting if you'd taken any notice of past happenings.

tooextracool

International Coach
Really annoys me when commentators and experts alike go on about Hoggard losing his pace and/or nip. Hoggard doesnt bowl any slower now than he has been over the last 5 years. Hes bowled at around 80mph for as long as I can remember and he actually bowled at less than 80mph during his better spells such as his 6fer at Nagpur

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It may make perfect sense, but it's still not a decision you could really be expecting if you'd taken any notice of past happenings.
But who you give the new ball is hardly a massively statistically driven decision. It just doesn't make sense to select a non swing, not rapid bowler half way through a series, after an injury, and give him the new ball over your best, quickest bowler so far in the series.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'm watching on Sky here in NZ with the volume down and listening to Test Match special on the BBC five live site. I do hope Mr Boycott is covering this test
I can't seem to get working on mine. It says connecting to media then says ready, you click play and it doesn't work. :@