• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I say, also - you're on slightly dangerous ground if you simply assume. Yes, it'd be fairly logical to assume that Chris Tremlett would make a better Test bowler than Mark Ealham, but things aren't always as simple as they seem. Sometimes, despite not looking the part anywhere near the way another does, a player can do a job.
The strange case of Ryan Sidebottom, for example.

tooextracool

International Coach
True. More often than not, though, there'll not be enough between them for it to be cancelled-out. That was essentially what the selectors did, erroneously, last winter with Shah and Bopara, though Bopara had even less of a case than 2 good seasons - he'd just had 1 at that stage.

As I say, also - you're on slightly dangerous ground if you simply assume. Yes, it'd be fairly logical to assume that Chris Tremlett would make a better Test bowler than Mark Ealham, but things aren't always as simple as they seem. Sometimes, despite not looking the part anywhere near the way another does, a player can do a job.
Well I understand what you mean in that those with consistent performances would be safer bets than those without. However, it needs to be looked at on a case by case basis.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isnt that where he bats for Lancashire?
He so rarely plays for Lancs it's not really possible to say.

I've certainly seen him batting at five on the odd occasion where he has played in recent (ie, last 6-7 years) times.

Worryingly, it seems like the pitch is flat, which as I said earlier, isn't really in anyone's interests.

Stapel

International Regular
Although what he's saying makes perfect sense, it will inevitably sound slightly iffy coming from someone who promoted Flintoff to six.
TBH, that was in a 5-men bowling attack.

Anyway, Freddy batting on 6 or 7...,or 8, I really doubt that will be the key to what is going to be decisive for this match.